Wheel bearing quality

tipo158

:
2007 Mazda CX-9 Touring
I am getting sporadic noise out of the left front wheel bearing. In doing research on CX-9 wheel bearings, I find that I am not alone in having wheel bearing issues at comparatively low mileage. A few people in various forums that I have read commented that one of the problems is "cheap Ford bearings" that were used.

Is this the case? Is there a bearing that is higher quality than OEM that I could get as a replacement?

alan

Last edited:
I just had the front left bearing replaced in our 08 CX-9 @ 106k miles. From everything I read, about 100k is a reasonable lifetime. I did read a few that looked like there was a bad batch, but I can't complain too much at 100k/6 years. The thing I wasn't too happy about was that I couldn't do it myself b/c of all the special presses needed, and the fact that the FE had to be aligned b/c of how much had to be removed. Apparently it isn't a simple press-out job.

I've seen wheel bearings go out around 50k in the past, but these days 100k is about the norm. How many miles does your relatively low mileage 07 have?? Other things can effect the wheel bearings as well, things like pot holes, different wheels etc.

Just replaced my fronts last week at 85k miles. Seems a little early, but the vehicle has been largely reliable otherwise so I'm not complaining. Luckily, my cousin is a mechanic and did it for free.

For those who might be doing an internet search, damaged bearings may sound like you have offroad tires on your car. If that isn't something you've low, muffled humming/grumbling/grinding noise with some minor vibration as well. Will almost always get louder as speed increases and/or moving your wheel back and forth as weight gets transferred from side to side.

Replacement does indeed require a press, but there's actually less parts to remove than on some vehicles. Also, an alignment should *not* be required if everything is put back in the same place. (But, as always with suspension work, never a bad idea)

While you're down there, check all the other components. My tie rods also needed replacing. (And you certainly do require an alignment after install of those)

Last edited:
Back