What's Your Choice in the ECU Department?

RotorDad

:
Mazda's & Nissan's for now
Just figured i would get some conversation started in the Rotary section. Ok everyone what ECU do you all prefer? I am pretty partial to the Haltechs & the Microtechs due to the fact they are easy to use and cost isn't all that bad. Any TEC II or Wolf 3D guys here?

I went with Apex'i PFC. Seemed to have the largest user base....so it followed that the knowledge base and support seemed largest too. I don't have a trusted tuner near where I live, so I also went with what seemed to be the consensus. IMO, if you have a tuner you like and trust in your area, I'd stay with whatever he prefers.

It also helped that I was patient and ended up scoring a new one w/commander for $700. It was essentially plug and play, with a base map that got me up and running easily with my mods. I could get a datalogit and still stay under $1000.

^ nice find Signal. ^^ Shadow if it works then there's nothing wrong right!
Thanks.
By "shadow" are you talking about the display? If so, it's the opposite. When you bring up the "sensor check" window on the Commander, all of the sensors are listed along with current voltage/resistance. If a sensor is shadowed, it's out of spec or failed.
The screen that was being displayed when I took that photo was probably just what I typically monitor while driving around...Duty Cycle, Intake Temp, Boost and Coolant Temp. But you can real-time monitor many other things as well. The shadowed readings are just peaks during that driving session or since the ignition was turned on.

Last edited:
for basic builds, i recommend RTek. easy to work with, plenty of options, and no major tuning involved. the only thing that i would change about it would be the sensors. i would want them to swap out the AFM for a MAP.

for extensive builds, i like the megasquirt options. they are kind of complicated to get started on, but the options are unlimited. the top-end megasquirt has places to wire in nitrous, alcohol, methanol, etc. there is a little tuning involved, but no more than any stand-alone.

Signal I was refering to the Safc if it works for him then there's nothing wrong. ^ Megasquirt systems I have delt with & they are decent never had a chance to play with the RTEK.

Back