Whats the performace differance between Protege and Protege 5?

Todd

Im just wondering whats the performace differance between Protege and Protege 5 if any? I know that I bought the 5 and it was about $5000 more then the standard Protege. With all the reviews I read about the 5 I assumed that it had some type of beefed up suspension. I realized that the engines are the same and that they both come with 4 wheel disc brakes. I just noticed that the suspension is the same too. So with the option of the 16 inch rims for the Protege, is there really any differance???

i dont see the $5000 difference you are talking about. on cars direct there is only a $1000 difference between the p5 and the 2.0 es. $500 of which is because of a bigger rebate (2500 vs 2000)

the suspension is supposed to be a bit stiffer where did you find the suspension was the same?

Here in Toronto Canada, the starting price for a P5 is about $20,000 and a standard Protege is about $15,000. :confused:

whats considered stanard, the lx model? Because if you compare it to the ES model you are only talking maybe a grand difference

I guess it was the LX. So even if that is the case, besides the rims, I dont see a performace differance.

i swear the LX has rear drum brakes not discs. No spoiler, fogs, mostly appearance mods.

So if it does have drum brakes, at least I spent the extra money on better braking. I also prefer the looks of the 5. But besides that, speed and handling I guess are the same.

The engines are the same i believe, in past years the lower models had smaller engines. But i think all protege's have 2.0l engines now. Handling will be a little different with the P5 and the sedan, the P5 comes stock with a strut bar. where as the sedan doesn't, the P5 is heavier (right?) But other than that its all looks.

it's been covered multiple times in this forum, you can also ask at the dealer, or check the part numbers. The ES and the P5 have the same suspension. ES and P5 both come standard with 16" rims, 4 wheel ABS, Driver/Passenger/Side Impact Air Bags, oh and lots of fun to be had for a relatively low price.

the DX is the standard..no power windows..no power locks..basic stuff..thats what i have..2k2 DX..they go for like 14,100$ new..

I got my 2002.5 ES for $15,300 ( with sunroof, Side Airbags, ABS, cargo net, perimeter alarm, etc. ) I gotta say, the cargo net rules, I thought I would never use it, but I always do, put stuff in there, and it doesn't move around. Groceries don't come out of the bag anymore, I've tossed DVD's, sneakers, all kinds of wires, all kinds of stuff in there.

Last edited:
Now that it appears that you all have the price discrepancy cleared up what it comes down to is this. The Pro5 and the Pro perform the same. One just looks better. The key is, to you which one is that?

The P5's suspension is tweaked slightly different than the ES GT package.

And the P5 has the strut tower brace.

Being a "long hatch" or "short wagon", the P5 aerodynamics and handling will be slightly different.

I have a 2003 ES, by the time you add in A/C the price is the same as the P 5. The only real difference is the tower strut bar, which you can have installed, Its a personal preference I guess, I don't like the hatchback look. I'm in Newfoundland btw, where it seems every second car is a Protege

the 5 is slightly slower in the acceleration department due to it's added weight over the sedan. i'm sure it's only marginal though.

car and driver give both the same acceleration numbers. i dont think 50 lbs of extra weight on the p5 will make much difference.

Back