What would you do? Buy used or new at these prices?

Hi Folks
I am looking at 2 options and would like to get your opinion of what would you do
1. New 2012 GT CX-9, white with sand int, FWD, moonroof/bose, power lift gate for around 33k out the door
2. 2010 GT CX-9 with 29,xxx miles AWD with exact same options and color as above. I think I can get it OTD for 27.5k. It is a certified pre-owned with 12k/12 months B2B warranty and 7 yr/100k limited power train warranty.
I believe the financing terms will be lot favorable on the new and might have a difference of almost 2 points. Assuming that used car is in 'excellent condition' as defined by most used car sites, how would you look at this? I feel normally used cars are better value but looks like the price of new car isnt that bad either.

Hi Folks
I am looking at 2 options and would like to get your opinion of what would you do
1. New 2012 GT CX-9, white with sand int, FWD, moonroof/bose, power lift gate for around 33k out the door
2. 2010 GT CX-9 with 29,xxx miles AWD with exact same options and color as above. I think I can get it OTD for 27.5k. It is a certified pre-owned with 12k/12 months B2B warranty and 7 yr/100k limited power train warranty.
I believe the financing terms will be lot favorable on the new and might have a difference of almost 2 points. Assuming that used car is in 'excellent condition' as defined by most used car sites, how would you look at this? I feel normally used cars are better value but looks like the price of new car isnt that bad either.

What is the asking price of the 2010? I presume it does not have navigation?

Where do you live? It seems that you would live in a place that you may not want to forego AWD -OR- you would live in a place where you don't need it. If you don't need it, you'll waste a lot of money over time on excess gas consumption.

What is the asking price of the 2010? I presume it does not have navigation?
Thanks for asking. Both the cars dont have Nav. Having read all the comments here, I am convinced that Nav isnt that helpful. The asking price for 2010 is 25400 before taxes and fees.

Where do you live? It seems that you would live in a place that you may not want to forego AWD -OR- you would live in a place where you don't need it. If you don't need it, you'll waste a lot of money over time on excess gas consumption.
Thanks for your response. I live in the bay area. The weather here I feel doesnt require AWD. We go to Tahoe may be once a year where AWD might come in handy. But I feel once a year trip doesnt justify AWD. When I have inquired looks like AWD comes into picture only in slippery conditions like snow/ice and car drives in FWD mode most of the time anyways. So I am thinking FWD is fine for us. It is not very clear if AWD is better in dry conditions like Bay area.

Thanks for asking. Both the cars dont have Nav. Having read all the comments here, I am convinced that Nav isnt that helpful. The asking price for 2010 is 25400 before taxes and fees.

That price is not bad for a 2010 considering what they are selling for at auctions. There is probably a little wiggle room in that price, but from what I can get them for from the auction, that's not a bad deal, especially if it is Certified and has new tires and brakes.

That price is not bad for a 2010 considering what they are selling for at auctions. There is probably a little wiggle room in that price, but from what I can get them for from the auction, that's not a bad deal, especially if it is Certified and has new tires and brakes.

Thanks. By the way, the dealer has gone back on the new car price. I was told over the phone that they can do 33k OTD, but now they are talking about close to 35K for the OTD price for the new car.

I always tell customers and forum members to do what makes them happy. There will always be someone who gets a better deal than you and someone who pays more than you did. If you are comfortable with the deal presented to you, then buy the car. If you are not, than walk away.

Used car prices are just crazy right now, and it seems that the pre-owned CX-9 deal is decent, again, as long as it is really certified and has new tires and brakes (29K on OEM tires will not pass Mazda certification standards).

New car prices vary from region to region. Incentives don't always line up. Here in the North East, there is $3,000 cash or 0% + $1,000. The CX-9 GT sans nav is around $38K MSRP. $33K pre tax is not a bad offer in my region, but may not be competitive in others. YOu need to take that into account. Check sites like Edmunds to see what CX-9's are selling for in your area.

I have always valued pre-owned considering the lower price and longer warranty. Condition always plays a factor too. If the car is mint, I would jump on it. If it looks rough, then I might be hesitant. When buying pre-owned Mazda's at the auction, I always step up and pay more for a nice car because a nice car will sell. Rats typically do not.

Let us know how you make out. Good luck!!

Just picked up a 2011 Touring CPO for about 24 and some change. Not the best deal in the world but not terrible either. It was a Touring model without any additional options. FWD.
MY opinion, it almost never makes sense to buy new. almost. you need to make sure the car you are buying is in good shape and is a reliable model.

I always tell customers and forum members to do what makes them happy. There will always be someone who gets a better deal than you and someone who pays more than you did. If you are comfortable with the deal presented to you, then buy the car. If you are not, than walk away.

Used car prices are just crazy right now, and it seems that the pre-owned CX-9 deal is decent, again, as long as it is really certified and has new tires and brakes (29K on OEM tires will not pass Mazda certification standards).

New car prices vary from region to region. Incentives don't always line up. Here in the North East, there is $3,000 cash or 0% + $1,000. The CX-9 GT sans nav is around $38K MSRP. $33K pre tax is not a bad offer in my region, but may not be competitive in others. YOu need to take that into account. Check sites like Edmunds to see what CX-9's are selling for in your area.

I have always valued pre-owned considering the lower price and longer warranty. Condition always plays a factor too. If the car is mint, I would jump on it. If it looks rough, then I might be hesitant. When buying pre-owned Mazda's at the auction, I always step up and pay more for a nice car because a nice car will sell. Rats typically do not.

Let us know how you make out. Good luck!!
Thanks Aviboy. That is actually quite insightful and will be useful for anyone in the market today or tomorrow. I am working with dealers and still evaluating both options. My challenge is the dealer who has CPO is about 2 hr drive away. Most likely I will go there this weekend and check the car out. It is a reputed dealer and it is a certified CPO. But I am being told that the tires are still original OEM and have about 10k tread remaining on it. That has me little concerned. Checking posts here looks like 29-30k is about when tires need replacing.

Thanks Aviboy. That is actually quite insightful and will be useful for anyone in the market today or tomorrow. I am working with dealers and still evaluating both options. My challenge is the dealer who has CPO is about 2 hr drive away. Most likely I will go there this weekend and check the car out. It is a reputed dealer and it is a certified CPO. But I am being told that the tires are still original OEM and have about 10k tread remaining on it. That has me little concerned. Checking posts here looks like 29-30k is about when tires need replacing.

I would definitely demand new tires at that price. There can't be more than 2-3 32's left on those tires. You don't want to pay another $600-$800 for tires in a few months.

I would definitely demand new tires at that price. There can't be more than 2-3 32's left on those tires. You don't want to pay another $600-$800 for tires in a few months.
Dealer wont budge on price or agree to put on new tires. He is saying there is nothing wrong with them!! I am sure they are noisy by now.

Dealer wont budge on price or agree to put on new tires. He is saying there is nothing wrong with them!! I am sure they are noisy by now.
So looks like this quest is over. I finally got the photos of the used car and it turns out it is a Touring version and not GT!!! How can they make such a mistake in their listing.. anyways, so CPO is out for me. Now back to focusing on negotiating for new car.. Thanks for your help.

So looks like this quest is over. I finally got the photos of the used car and it turns out it is a Touring version and not GT!!! How can they make such a mistake in their listing.. anyways, so CPO is out for me. Now back to focusing on negotiating for new car.. Thanks for your help.
Either there's a lot of doofus (yes--doofus--a word you don't see in print every day!) dealer staff out there, or there's a lot of doofus buyers. I haven't been able to figure out which. I find that most of the time, I know more about the car and the available features and trims than the sales staff. And yet--they keep selling cars...

If you live in warm climate, go with FWD, which is also new and has no surprises from previous owner or the dealer. If you live up North, for which the Bay area does not in the least qualify, then it is a tie.

If you want, PM me with the VIN. I will run it and see what the story SHOULD be for that car...

Either there's a lot of doofus (yes--doofus--a word you don't see in print every day!) dealer staff out there, or there's a lot of doofus buyers. I haven't been able to figure out which. I find that most of the time, I know more about the car and the available features and trims than the sales staff. And yet--they keep selling cars...
Absolutely. Many of the dealer guys dont even make an effort or use common sense. I mean the internet manager send me photos finally of the car saying its GT with AWD. I need to call him up and tell 'it is touring and FWD!' Same thing happened when we test drove a new one last week. Most sales guys couldnt tell difference between GT and touring sitting in their lots. Anyways..

If you want, PM me with the VIN. I will run it and see what the story SHOULD be for that car...
Thanks, I have now got the details and they have confirmed it is a touring model.
What's up with lack of CPO in GT trim from 2010 onwards. there are tons of touring but very limited GTs

if the difference between new and used is only a few grand, i'd take new every time. just for the peace of mind i guess.

Back