what to wear to first day at work

habeansha

:
2006 Nissan Frontier NISMO KC
wtf am i supposed to wear?

It for the department of water supply in their microbiology lab

I usually never wear long pants but is that what you are supposed to wear? This is my first real job and they didnt really tell me anything. I'm only a student helper so does that mean that i can wear my normal shorts and t shirt? Or will they tell me on the first day of work? Should i just through a couple of extra pairs of clothes in my trunk just in case?

also how long is a usual lunch hour? is it usually long enough to drive down the road and buy something or should i bring food to work?

Ok, i don't know what this job entails, but i work at an independently owned pharmacy, we are not formal at all (all workers, including the managers, pharmacists and owner are called by their first name). However, we are required to dress nicely. No jeans, sweatpants or shorts, and we must have a collar of some sort.

I suggest you follow at least that dress code. Wear a pair of Khaki pants (that's those tan colored ones), and since it's hot in Hawaii, wear a COLLARED short sleeve shirt. Sneakers may be okay, if you have a pair that is mostly black. Otherwise, go for dress shoes. Then, on the first day, find your employer, co-worker, or the manager and ask them what they expect for the dress code.

Remember, under-dressing can get you in trouble, but over-dressing will show that you care about your job.

Ok, i don't know what this job entails, but i work at an independently owned pharmacy, we are not formal at all (all workers, including the managers, pharmacists and owner are called by their first name). However, we are required to dress nicely. No jeans, sweatpants or shorts, and we must have a collar of some sort.

I suggest you follow at least that dress code. Wear a pair of Khaki pants (that's those tan colored ones), and since it's hot in Hawaii, wear a COLLARED short sleeve shirt. Sneakers may be okay, if you have a pair that is mostly black. Otherwise, go for dress shoes. Then, on the first day, find your employer, co-worker, or the manager and ask them what they expect for the dress code.

Remember, under-dressing can get you in trouble, but over-dressing will show that you care about your job.

cool, i volunteer at the hospital pharmacy and all i have to wear is long pants and a t shirt

i got the long khaki pants and probably have a collared short sleave shirt but idk about the shoes, i have no black shoes. the best i have are these all white shoes. my friends call them nurse shoes because they have the non slip thing on the bottom. i kind of think that that would be alright since i may be working with water and water is slippery

I'd go business casual. Polo or button up shirt with short sleeves, khaki pants (if not, nice looking cargo pants might be alright), and get some $50 leather Sketchers (not real expensive, for casual dress & fun). I used to wear Alley Cats for a few years. They held up alright and I think look good. I'd suggest the pre-scuffed leather ones. These days I'm enjoying some Clarks Bostonians for work (soooooo comfy).

Alley Cats

Good luck on the new job!

I'd agree with McKraut. Business casual - very classic and work appropriate until you can see what the dress code is like for work. I'm of the mind that it's better to be a bit overdressed (like someone higher up on the work food chain than yourself) than underdressed.

wtf am i supposed to wear?

It for the department of water supply in their microbiology lab

I second jred321, call and ask.

What is your job going to be? The bench jockeys are probably wearing extremely casual clothes, as in, "if I spill something on these and have to throw them out it won't break my heart." The office workers will be dressed like office workers anywhere else. Management will most likely be in suits. So, what you wear will very likely depend on what you do there.

Wear decent pants, a proper long sleeve shirt with a tie and dress shoes the first day. If it turns out you are overdressed, you can always take off the tie and if way overdressed roll the sleeves a couple of turns up your forearms to make it more casual.
Looking sharp and looking like a slob both make a strong first impression: which would you rather make on your new boss?
This is assuming that you can't find out the dress code by calling and asking someone.

Your logic of being prepared with a different outfit in the car is good. Apply the same approach to lunch. The first day bring something. Second day you'll know. HR should have told you this stuff during your interview. Somebody is a slacker.

Last edited:
Bingo. Better to overdress than underdress. Worst case scenario you look sharp on your first day.

HR should have told you this stuff during your interview. Somebody is a slacker.

i never had an interview

in hawaii its all about the hook ups

"its not what you know its who you know"

yeah and my first day of work was today and i wore long khaki pants and a blue nike collared shirt

and i found out its pretty laid back, we can wear any kind of long pants, the lady said jeans are best but i dont own any jeans. and t shirts were alright she said now im just wondering if some of my shirts are inappropriate like my family guy ones and spiderman ones

i never had an interview

in hawaii its all about the hook ups

"its not what you know its who you know"

yeah and my first day of work was today and i wore long khaki pants and a blue nike collared shirt

and i found out its pretty laid back, we can wear any kind of long pants, the lady said jeans are best but i dont own any jeans. and t shirts were alright she said now im just wondering if some of my shirts are inappropriate like my family guy ones and spiderman ones

Yeah, I'd refrain from wearing t-shirts printed with tv show/movie/whatever references on them.

This is what I usually did....

Full suit plus a nice dress shirt and tie. If I walk in and feel overdressed, either lose the tie, the jacket, or both. Still feel overdressed? That's why you have a pair of khakis and a polo in the car.

So my answer, wear layers and be ready to adapt.

GL!!

Tuxedo. You can never go wrong with a tuxedo.

Back