What to bring to India?

dbzeag

:
Protege 2001 LX 2.0
I am going to India on Friday for a couple of weeks for work and I am starting to get ready for the trip. I have done my shots already and I have the Visa worked out, plane tickets purchased ($4950) and hotel booked.

I am bringing Hand sanitizer, sunscreen/DEET combination, toilet paper, laptop, AC/DC current adapter, passport wallet.

Is there anything else I need besides toiletries and clothes?

dbzeag said:
I am going to India on Friday for a couple of weeks for work and I am starting to get ready for the trip. I have done my shots already and I have the Visa worked out, plane tickets purchased ($4950) and hotel booked.

I am bringing Hand sanitizer, sunscreen/DEET combination, toilet paper, laptop, AC/DC current adapter, passport wallet.

Is there anything else I need besides toiletries and clothes?
hey! i spent a few weeks in india during january. bringing toilet paper is a must since none of our hotels had any, but if you want to pack lighter just remember you can buy toilet paper at many shops in the area. i think it runs like 20 rupees per roll which is only $.50. where will you be? i would take bug spray. and what kind of hotel are you staying at? most of the ones we stayed at had stained as hell sheets and pillows that were pretty pointless. so consider taking sleeping materials.

$4950 for tickets? wow. mine was around 1800. are you going first class?

Remember this rule. Don't drink public water. If you can, drink bottled or boiled water, or one that has been ran through the uv filter.

oh have you ever been there before? dont take any cash. just use the ATMs there. we came out cheaper on the exchange rates. although a lot of atms charged us $5 for very transaction. and DONT GIVE MONEY TO ANYONE ON THE STREETS!!!! Serisoulsy. you will have little 5 year old children all over you wanting money. we had little girls that were like "give me $5. lincoln. $5." they knew what american money was and how much it was worth. if you want to give them anything give them candy. they money they give to the parents. the candy they'll eat. although we did have a kid come up and ask us to buy her a banana. we felt bad so we did not realizing we were buying it from her dad. so after we gave him the money and walked off we turned and saw her putting the banana back and askin the next white person to buy her something. beggers are everywhere and if you give them anything they'll all come up to you. also dont put your wallet or your passport in your back pocket. it will be stolen. 2 of my friends were pick pocketed in mumbai. so good luck with everything! dont hesitate to aswk any questions!

yes dont drink ANY water there at all. im an architecture student and we are studying the area. in mumbai alone only 20% of water gets ANY sort of treatment whatsoever but the treatment plants are far from where the water goes and there are holes where locals drill into the lines running to where the water is going. so even the somewhat clean 20% is infected. even when you brush your teeth DO NOT drink the water.

bottle water is so damn cheap there. dont pay more than 12 rupees for it though. the first day there one of my friends got charges 140 rupees. we thought it was fair since thats what it would have costed in america (big aquafina bottle) but dont pay over 12-20 ruppees. and eamine the caps! they sometimes take old bottles and put a new cap on it. so just make sure the seal is secure.

yeah remember. all meats need to be cleans right? cleaned with what? contaminated water? only eat cooked food. and i was told by many people to avoid meats.

Eat only things that can be cooked. Fruits are OK if you can peel them. I normally try to eat some yogurt (local) to get some cultures in my stomach. In the 8 years that I've traveled internationally (well over 20 countries), I've never had a case of severe diarrhea. But, in case, take some anti-diarrhea medicine.

Drink bottled water only. Brush teeth with bottled water.

Ear plugs for the plane ride or hotel. Qtips (I forget these most often). Kleenex.

I always take a pair of flip-flops in case the shower floor or carpet is disgusting.

And as someone mentioned, don't carry your wallet or passport in your back pocket. Keep them in your front pocket.

ATMs for money is a good idea. Don't exchange much money at the airport because the rate will not be as good.

If you are going to a larger city you may be surprised at what you can buy there. The world is more developed than we realize sometimes.

You should be able to buy a prepaid cell phone there to use to call the US. Or if you have a properly equipped personal cell phone, a prepaid simm card may do the trick.

Enjoy your time there. It may very well be the experience of a lifetime.

MP3Architect said:
hey! i spent a few weeks in india during january. bringing toilet paper is a must since none of our hotels had any, but if you want to pack lighter just remember you can buy toilet paper at many shops in the area. i think it runs like 20 rupees per roll which is only $.50. where will you be? i would take bug spray. and what kind of hotel are you staying at? most of the ones we stayed at had stained as hell sheets and pillows that were pretty pointless. so consider taking sleeping materials.

$4950 for tickets? wow. mine was around 1800. are you going first class?
I am at the Hotel Atria, a 4 star hotel. Very nice from what I have been told. Business class seating.

MP3Architect said:
yeah remember. all meats need to be cleans right? cleaned with what? contaminated water? only eat cooked food. and i was told by many people to avoid meats.

Meats are OK if you use common sense. Never eat meats from a streetside vendor (cooked or not). Only in established restaurants.

Thank you all for the help and great tips. I am going to be in Bangalore which is in the southern most state.

benzete said:
yea, all this advice is good, and if you can, try not to go to india
what? why not? after spending 2 weeks in mumbai me and my girlfriend would consider moving there. i mean, yeah theres a lot of things to watch out for, but its really a nice place. so was ahmdebad and chandigard.

rjmhotrod said:
Meats are OK if you use common sense. Never eat meats from a streetside vendor (cooked or not). Only in established restaurants.
I have heard that chicken is actually the most healthy because you can actually see the chickens live in the streets. the beef and that is just hanging on the street and they slice off a bit for you so it is getting flies and stuff all day.

The hotel I am staying at has an Indian and Chinese restaurant in them, so it shouldn't be too bad.

http://www.atriahotel.com/index.html

yes take q-tips. the smog and pollution there is unreal. all of our ears and noses were just clogged up with black stuff

dbzeag said:
I have heard that chicken is actually the most healthy because you can actually see the chickens live in the streets. the beef and that is just hanging on the street and they slice off a bit for you so it is getting flies and stuff all day.

The hotel I am staying at has an Indian and Chinese restaurant in them, so it shouldn't be too bad.

http://www.atriahotel.com/index.html
the chinese WONT be like chinese here in america. we went to a few of those. and beef? yeah..........cows are gods to them. no beef. if you hit or injure a cow your in for some serious s***

try to not get ripped off by people, like cabbies. I know in Egypt the cabbies will rip off foreigners, even if you are from another arab country (they can tell by the accent/dialect)

There's a guy from my office there right now and he was told that there is a bug (virus) going around so be careful. I heard that the bottles water isn't even that safe over there, but what do i know :(

Back