What kind of motor oil do you use?

I have Amsoil 0w-30 in my MS3. My turbo is at risk for smoking?? Amsoil said this is perfectly fine for any vehicle that uses 5w-30.

Unless you live in a very, very cold climate that frequently drops into the negative temps on a daily basis, I'm curious as to why you're using such a thin cold viscosity.

Amsoil's 0w-30 is their signature oil which gives maximum fuel efficiency and allows you to use their Ea oil filters. What is the negative of using a zero weight oil?

Amsoil's 0w-30 is their signature oil which gives maximum fuel efficiency and allows you to use their Ea oil filters. What is the negative of using a zero weight oil?

The first number "0" means the viscosity of the oil when it's cold. The "W" means winter and the 30 means that at approx 100 degrees C, the oil will not be any thinner than a 30 weight oil. Mineral multi-grade oils feature a base stock and viscosity index improvers to minimize thinning as temperature increase.

What would concern me about a "0" weight oil is that the thinner the oil, the motor metal to metal contact there is. Of course there is reduced fluid friction, which reduces cold starting emissions (which car manufacturers are most concerned with), but unless you're starting your car when it's <-30 degrees F outside, a think a "0" weight oil is unnecessary. I'd stick with Amsoil's 5W-30. It's still a 30 weight oil once the motor gets up to operating temps, so I really can't see why you'd save fuel over a 5W-30. Also, the wider the viscosity index, the more likely the index improvers can shear and cause thinning, which in a turbocharged car that runs oil through a scorching turbo, is not ideal.

Pennzoil Platinum is made by Shell. Years ago, SOPUS (Shell Oil Production U S) bought Pennzoil and now you are actually using Shell base oils when you buy Pennzoil or Quaker State branded products.

The " Pennzoil wax" rumors have been scotched for some time. Shell's best oil is probably their Rotella line - many a diesel engine, turbocharged or not, has gone a long distance before overhaul on this robust oil. For more info on oil go to www.bobistheoilguy.com . The site is vast and there's nothing but oil heads there. Cheers!

PS: I use PP 5w-30 in my Speed3 because it meets Honda/ Acura HTO-06 specs. At bitog, in the used oil analysis section it shows to hold up well to the Speed3 fuel dilution issues. 17k miles and no problems whatsoever. Also, Redline MTL in the trannie - shifts smooth as silk.

Pennzoil Platinum is made by Shell. Years ago, SOPUS (Shell Oil Production U S) bought Pennzoil and now you are actually using Shell base oils when you buy Pennzoil or Quaker State branded products.

The " Pennzoil wax" rumors have been scotched for some time. Shell's best oil is probably their Rotella line - many a diesel engine, turbocharged or not, has gone a long distance before overhaul on this robust oil. For more info on oil go to www.bobistheoilguy.com . The site is vast and there's nothing but oil heads there. Cheers!

PS: I use PP 5w-30 in my Speed3 because it meets Honda/ Acura HTO-06 specs. At bitog, in the used oil analysis section it shows to hold up well to the Speed3 fuel dilution issues. 17k miles and no problems whatsoever. Also, Redline MTL in the trannie - shifts smooth as silk.

I'll probably starting buying Rotella T synthetic 5W-40 at Walmart from now on actually. For the price, you can't beat it. I changed the factory oil out at 1,700 miles to PP 5W-30. I'll probably do 5k on that and then go to the Shell. It is high in zinc and phosphorus, which supposedly can shorten the life of cat converters, but that's mainly an issue if you actually burn oil.

Brad Penn GT1 "Green Oil" if it can hold up to the grave diggers and blown nitrous drag cars its good enough for me mazda. i make a mix of the 0w-30 and 10w30 to get a 5w-30 and it works great

Brad Penn GT1 "Green Oil" if it can hold up to the grave diggers and blown nitrous drag cars its good enough for me mazda. i make a mix of the 0w-30 and 10w30 to get a 5w-30 and it works great

wait...what?? i may be mistaken here but im pretty sure mixing viscosities is a no no. (headshake

I know you could mix something like a straight 30w and a straight 10w lets say and get your 20w but im not sure about mixing like a 5w-30 with a 10w-40?

i couls be wrong tho

Last edited:
as long as you keep in the same viscosity range its ok as i am combining both 30 weight oil and just changing the additive package. the petrol chemist at the refinery said it was ok

wait...what?? i may be mistaken here but im pretty sure mixing viscosities is a no no. (headshake

I know you could mix something like a straight 30w and a straight 10w lets say and get your 20w but im not sure about mixing like a 5w-30 with a 10w-40?

i couls be wrong tho

I run Motul 5w-40 because its the oil with the most resistance to fuel dilution. Since our car run pig rich its a good thing. Motul oil still lubricate with 50% of its weight in fuel and it meet all bmw/mercedes standards. I used it on my past car since i had a richness problem and it preserved the engine very well.

from motul website:

STANDARDS ACEA A3 / B3 / B4
APPROVALS API SL / CF
VW 502 00 / 505 00 - BMW ‘Long Life’ - PORSCHE
Mercedes Benz 229.3 - OPEL/GM Diesel LL B-025

Last edited:
as long as you keep in the same viscosity range its ok as i am combining both 30 weight oil and just changing the additive package. the petrol chemist at the refinery said it was ok
Have you checked Bob the oil guy? i agree with maintaining viscosity. but some additives do not like others the way I hear tell?

Back