What Insurance company do you use?

cl45music

:
08.5 Mazdaspeed 3
I was wondering if anyone's car insurance covers their modified Mazda for more than just liability?
I have Geico and they will only cover me for liability.
I cannot find a carrier who will even speak to me about comprehensive for my Modified 08 Speed3 daily driver. Is that even possible?

Whats everyone's experience and or suggestions?

Are you trying to get them to cover the value of the car with mods? Won't happen through any major insurance company unless you go with a "stated value" policy like you would on something they don't rate. This will cost substantially more.

How's your driving record? They might be denying it based on that instead of the car.

That seems pretty senseless as their assets are at more risk from a liability standpoint versus physical damage. You need to shop around as modified daily drivers are not new and through scheduling additional equipment and charging an additional premium you can also be afforded physical damage protection that will reflect the increased value over the cost new used for rating purposes.

Now if you are less than 25, have a questionable driving history, poor credit, poor claims experience or anything else deemed unacceptable by Geico then that may be the problem.

I wouldn't mention the mods that increase your power, just self insure those. But everything else should be acceptable and not throw up any redflags when you are shopping for a new company.

Since you live in Georgia, like I do, try calling Farm Bureau of Georgia. I've used them before and they were reasonable.

I have Progressive. My girlfriend has USAA as well.

Your problem is you're telling them your vehicle is modded. They will not cover mods, and they see you as a huge risk because you modify. They probably think you're a street racer.

If you want the car covered, don't expect the mods to be covered too, and don't even tell em it's modded. Just ask for normal comp and collision.

He would not even have liability with Geico if that were the case. In the event of a covered loss any company only has to replace parts with oem type parts. Every company has the ability for additional premium charge to endorse your policy to reflect parts that are not oem, like wheels, body kits, audio/video etc. So you would be smart to put together a list and submit it for consideration to be scheduled on your policy. If not don't expect the value to be reflected in any claims payment.

BOOSTR is correct. Mods will be covered by your insurance company and your risk (in their eyes) is not increased by modding your car. Risk is calculated based off of mainly your driving history. There are other factors but none of them is modifications made to your car.

I have $1000 in coverage of custom parts:
capturfiles1.png

I also chose to add insurance for mods when I recently got a quote with Esurance:
capturfiles.png

When I started making modifications to my car, I called and asked them about it and they will be more than happy to charge you an additional premium to cover the value of your aftermarket parts. I've never had to submit a list to them though. I would guess though that if I were ever to need to submit a claim to have something aftermarket replaced that I would need to prove that I purchased that particular item.

Last edited:
coverage rates are based off more than just your driving history.
statistical info on your age group in said location
vehicle type with said age group
sometimes credit

these as well as driving history plug into big equations. Risk is not easily calculated. That's why there are so many people behind the scenes, underwriters, actuaries, statistical analysts, etc. that play a big role in rate determination.

$1k in 'mods' isn't really special coverage. Most companies offer that for basic additional car stereo mods. Extensive mod coverage is something many carriers won't touch, but some will.

All personal auto policies contain a specific exclusion to deny coverage for losses sustained from racing, some add language for legal or otherwise. Personal auto is a simple coverage line.

My suggestion to schedule was based solely on avoiding any problems in the event of a covered loss. That's when you realize the quality of your company or lackthereof, when you have a claim.

All personal auto policies contain a specific exclusion to deny coverage for losses sustained from racing, some add language for legal or otherwise. Personal auto is a simple coverage line.

My suggestion to schedule was based solely on avoiding any problems in the event of a covered loss. That's when you realize the quality of your company or lackthereof, when you have a claim.

Agreed. I used to sell non-standard auto insurance in FL. I could tell you a thing or two about why the cheap guys are the absolute worst.

That being said, I can also say that for many in FL, progressive ain't the cheapest. By a long shot, lol.

coverage rates are based off more than just your driving history.
statistical info on your age group in said location
vehicle type with said age group
sometimes credit

these as well as driving history plug into big equations. Risk is not easily calculated. That's why there are so many people behind the scenes, underwriters, actuaries, statistical analysts, etc. that play a big role in rate determination.

$1k in 'mods' isn't really special coverage. Most companies offer that for basic additional car stereo mods. Extensive mod coverage is something many carriers won't touch, but some will.

That's why I added in the "There are other factors..." part :D I just don't believe that insurance provider will see modifications as a reason to deny coverage.

$1k in coverage for custom part is what is included in my coverage from Progressive. They will insure an additional amount but it will cost more. When I talked to them on the phone they didn't mention to me a limit (either amount or type of modification) as far as what they would cover.

Back