What have you done to your Miata today?

Nothing mayor done, just calibrated the TPS and set the timing. I have to flash the ECU with an upgrade for LTFT, waiting for the wideband to be shipped. I'll see if I can install the sensor for the AEM wideband, now that I know what I can move around. I'll have to take the new seat off, which I wasn't looking forward to but should be easy enough.

Been a couple of days now, but ordered a 949 Racing SuperMiata clutch kit. I have to pull the tranny anyway to figure out what is going on, and I'm not really happy with the Happy Meal. This way I can have a new one installed and not wait for resolution if there is in fact a problem with the clutch (if it turns out to be something else I can sell the damn thing).

I breezed through DC inspection, installed my newsed black top, and a style bar I got cheap. I may not keep the style bar. I'm on the fence about it.

Pic of black top and double hoop style bar

Attachments

• IMG_20131223_205531.jpg
    IMG_20131223_205531.jpg
    143.6 KB · Views: 334
Let's get this place hopping, spring is on the way!

Still a couple of weeks from home but went ahead and bought a top. Factory two piece style in canvas, along with a new rain rail and tension cables.

Let's get this place hopping, spring is on the way!

Still a couple of weeks from home but went ahead and bought a top. Factory two piece style in canvas, along with a new rain rail and tension cables.
maybe for you...i'm 2 months away from taking her out of the barn :(

I drive past mine every now and then, to make sure its still there. Lots of snow on it.
me too! no snow though, in my son in laws barn
If I was closer...
+1

Pulled the motor & trans to a) solve a trans leak and b) do a coolant re-route. Gotta call BEGi on Monday to see if they'll put together a custom kit to me that'll totally delete the heater core hoses. Their "race" spec kit keeps the heater (which is fine for some classes, pretty useless and gets in the way for me). Also going to replace the coolant cap at the back of the head while it's out.

I separated the trans and engine (harder than it sounds with the twin disk clutch), and fortunately there isn't any evidence of the clutch getting any trans fluid on it. Gonna have the front and rear seal & gasket replaced while it's out.

20140208_143425.jpg

20140208_155220.jpg

Last edited:
Gratuitous clutch pic, because that thing is a friggin work of art.

20140208_195343.jpg

Separated.

20140208_195331.jpg

20140208_195313.jpg

The problem child. You can see a small rivulet of gear oil going towards the weep hole at the bottom of the bell-housing.

20140208_195527.jpg

Wow, how many times have you had that engine out?

Not many. I pulled the original motor to swap in a rebuilt mill for STS a great long while ago, so I guess this is just the 2nd time. Transmissions have been out many more times than that though. I really only NEEDED to pull the trans, but I had a number of other small projects (coolant reroute, heater tubing delete, and some maintenance), along with pulling the trans that it just made sense to pull the whole thing and do it right. It's almost easier to do it this way even just to pull the trans, honestly. I just don't always have access to a hoist.

sparco wheel with nrg quick release and nrg short hub. Next up I will be replacing my top with another used top. It's not in great shape but it is better than my current one and it was only 80 bucks so i ain't complaining.

1779977_731650150192824_426465808_n.jpg

Started getting the coolant re-route put together, and finalized my parts order for Mazdaspeed Motorsports.

20140220_164149.jpg

20140220_180012.jpg

I'll also be using a Cadillac Escalade upper radiator hose for my upper radiator hose. Pretty much a perfect fit to go from the re-route to the radiator in 1 shot, minimal mods required, and far fewer failure points than using BEGi's cobbled together mess of 3 or 4 different tubes & hoses and an exponential increase in possible failure points.

Back