What have you done to your Miata today?

I know, I'm hoping next year to do the road course at Loudon! We'll see

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Installed my phone holder, put a new shift nob on (i got the red) and picked up 97 NA Door Cards, and snagged this seat. I plan to retrofit the door cards with some "custom" fabwork to the MSM, and the Seat will get reupholstered and made to look like new again

21055742458_b30b43a293_c.jpg

906-070_1.jpg

21217438906_5d7334e11b_c.jpg

Have you considered rolling the edge of the fenders back, so you won't have sharp edges to worry about?

I don't think it'll be necessary. They're getting cut back to being way out of the way...I think (rlaugh)
If real world experience proves we need it, it's an option, but more travel than I'll have after cutting what's left puts the tire into stuff on the inner fender, and less so the outer.

You can see both how free-hand we did it the first time (kinda squint and guess). We came close in a couple places, but the big place for clearance is the front-half of the front tires, where the loaded tire will be pointing into the bumper area, if that makes sense.

20150908_155959.jpg

20150908_160026.jpg

Last edited:
The replacement serial to USB cable did not fix my MS communication problem, so back to the drawing board.

This morning I took some suspension measurements and raised the front by 6mm (mainly because the rears are bottomed out). I also reconnected the rear sway. Took a drive for some errands and the car's handling feels better. As in, no big oversteer events better. I didn't have the chance to measure my ride heights, I will do that (and notate it this time!) so I know what I have. Planning on setting up for an alignment check on Friday to see where I am, then will go with the 949 Racing street specs.

The replacement serial to USB cable did not fix my MS communication problem, so back to the drawing board.

That's weird. Have you tried a different laptop to see if it's a driver issue?

The results of tonight's activities.

20150908_212140.jpg

20150908_212222.jpg

For reference, I've cut well into the bottom stroke of the AZ of the MAZDA lettering:

IMG_20130414_142058.jpg

Ladies.

20150908_203346.jpg

But seriously, the face mask and the respirator that fits under it (and under my welding hood) have been excellent additions to the ol' toolbox. It's amazing how much more comfortable you can be when you're not getting light headed from fumes, breathing in fiber-board dust from cutting disks, steel dust, or getting sparks to the face.

cant wait to see with the flares on Muff! looks good so far

Thanks. The Riv-Nuts and correct-length button head bolts come in today, so today should get it at least mostly knocked out, if not completely. I need to hit the front fenders w/ a bit of paint so they don't rust. The rears will wait until after the season's over, and I'll weld them up then paint them too. Though, now that I'm thinking about it...weld through primer is a thing, so I probably need to pick some of that up to clean up the rears so they don't rust.

After everything's mocked up, they'll come back off, and I'll be hitting the flares w/ some plasti-dip & glossifyer to make them pretty ;)

Gotta get my Hard Parking cred up!

Last edited:
That's weird. Have you tried a different laptop to see if it's a driver issue?

It first started while I was using my previous laptop to change parameters to include the wideband CAN module. I had it all connected and everything was going fine, but then it went through the step where the program reads the controller (MS). It tried three times then said it wasn't able to read all the pages so was going to off-line mode. Once I got my new laptop I tried it and the same thing happened. I updated TunerStudio to the latest version but nothing changed. I really hope it isn't to do with the changes I made (I don't even know if they were burned on to the MS or not since I can't connect at all). I just need to do some research to see if this has happened to anyone else.

Last edited:
I'm glad I decided to do a couple dry-runs w/ the riv-nuts before I started putting them on the car's sheet metal. After screwing one up and figuring out why (the hole in the improvised "hey, this looks like it should work" tool I found to use around the scrap metal bin was a fraction of a mm to large), I made a tool and tested it, and it's good to go. Whoo! Yeah, you can buy the tools to install these, but they're $60, and the handle of an angle grinder nut spanner was free, and just the right length. Drilled a 6mm hole, and it worked a treat.

"Homemade" riv-nut tool. A long M6x1.0 bolt, and a 1/4" / 6mm hole drilled into a old angle grinder spanner wrench. Worked like a treat. Needing a new hole further down the handle also gave a nice wide flange to help keep everything flat against the panel.

20150909_201133.jpg

20150909_201203.jpg

20150909_202521.jpg

Other than not being super happy with the edge-trim I used (it'll get replaced next time I need the flares off), and needing to buy some tweener-length bolts (I have some 16mm, and 25mm, and the 16s are too short, and the 25s too long), I'm super happy with how this turned out.

20150913_120051.jpg

20150913_115950.jpg

20150913_120044.jpg

Well yesterday, autox and finally got some decent times....I'll have to do my gears or a 5 speed swap to get any faster, I was hitting the rev limiter all day [emoji30]
52d622fff2103706b286541c338a2d35.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Past few days I have tried opening a new project on my MS and reloading the firmware with no luck. Still showing improper communication (says it can't load all the pages of data) despite getting a good ping when I run the comms test. This needs more research.

After I raised the ride height in front I got it aligned Friday. Went with the 949 dual duty specs, in front ended up with 1.7 neg camber, 4.1 caster and 0 toe. In rear ended up with 1.6 neg camber and close to 0 toe (it's -0.01). I reconnected the rear sway just before that to see how it affected things. All in all I like how it's working now.

Oh, and I found out the TPS works best if it's connected. I had disconnected it when I calibrated the O2 sensor earlier in the week, and for some reason had a brain fart when checking things over and forgot to connect it. Dumbass me!

Oh yeah, I finally decided to go ahead and put on my MOTM sticker. Put it on the radiator setback panel, looks pretty nice. I figure I can deal with any embarrassment if someone checks and asks me about being proud of winning a contest with only two entrants.

Last edited:
Cleaned all the steel shavings from the garage floor (slicks and steel splinters don't mix well), then threw the wheels back on the car.

20150913_165539.jpg

20150913_165523.jpg

Let us know how well it works with having the wheels thrown on. (lol)

Looks very mean and purposeful. Good job.

looks nice Andrew.

Glad you got out Mark. Was out for our clubs last autox for the season. Poured rain all day and got soaked but still had a great time.

Took the wrap of the rear part of the roof and plastidipped the rear tonneau cover black. Hoping to do the wheels tomorrow.

I...may have added some bling. It's race car bling, but still... (inout)

20150915_215800.jpg

Ok, the extinguisher doesn't count as bling, but I do want it what with the car still being not super well shaken down yet.
20150915_215900.jpg

looks nice Andrew.

Glad you got out Mark. Was out for our clubs last autox for the season. Poured rain all day and got soaked but still had a great time.

Took the wrap of the rear part of the roof and plastidipped the rear tonneau cover black. Hoping to do the wheels tomorrow.

We need pictures.

Went on a roadtrip to see my brother and his family the first couple of days this week. Car ran great, top down the whole way. On the one tank that was strictly freeway driving I got 29.1 mpg, pretty good for something that aerodynamically dirty. I tried removing the clutch switch bypass to see if that restored my cruise but it didn't. Have to do some more research on the issue as well. I also decided I will swap out the Recaros for the stock seats the next time I do a longer trip, the side leg bolster bracket just numbs my right leg too much for comfort.

This was the first time my brother had driven her with the MP62. He came home with a huge smile on his face. He also picked my nieces up from school in it, the older (9) came up to me afterwards with a look of awe on her face and said thank you.

Last edited:
We need pictures.

I hear you, will post some pics once the wheels are done. Plastidipped the windshield frame as well.

Scored a used Goodwin coated and catted header, hoping to get it on next week. Ordered the gaskets, should be in tomorrow.

Latest posts

Back