What have you done to your Miata today?

Thanks guys! Tried to go into work Thursday but left early. Went back to the ER yesterday morning and they confirmed I have a concussion. I follow up with my dr. on Monday and as of now have an appt at a Concussion Trauma Center next month (unless my dr. can get me in sooner). They advised me to stay away from work for at least 5-7 days. Thankfully I have the time to take until Christmas and our office is closed between the Holidays so that gives me more time to rest.

Not sure about the car, if the frame is bent I'm sure it will be a total loss. If not, I have a feeling it will be close. My adjuster said it was given my description of damage along with age and mileage so they had it towed to one of their salvage yards for inspection. Hoping to hear from them by Tuesday. Have a list of parts that I want to swap out...if they'll let me.

Mike, yes the truck driver said he didn't see me. And all things considered, I'm happy to be sitting here. I replay it over and over and had he or someone else on the road hit me while I was spinning I fear the car may have rolled.

Glad your safe Jeff. Let's hope the Trauma center finds nothing, probably will knowing you. Ask them for a Miata Loss Trauma center.

LOL and I'll find out on Jan 6th. Saw the primary dr. yesterday and have to call today to set-up physical therapy for the neck/shoulder. For now it's r&r and no work. Thankfully my office is closed between Christmas and New Years.

Going to need that Miata Loss Trauma Center though. Insurance called last night to tell me that they deemed it a total loss. :(

20141220_152751.jpg

LOL and I'll find out on Jan 6th. Saw the primary dr. yesterday and have to call today to set-up physical therapy for the neck/shoulder. For now it's r&r and no work. Thankfully my office is closed between Christmas and New Years.

Going to need that Miata Loss Trauma Center though. Insurance called last night to tell me that they deemed it a total loss. :(

Glad to hear you're doing ok. Sucks about the car, can you get anything off of it before it's gone? What's the next step??

Well, we got the head on and the cams & lifters back in place, then had to knock off for some family commitments.

20141223_145135.jpg

20141223_152359.jpg

20141223_182619.jpg

Tomorrow will be: exhaust manifold, intake, coil packs, coolant and oil. We'll do the ol' "crank it with the coils & injectors unplugged until we get oil pressure then hook everything up" trick, then fire it up. Hopefully, everything's in good working order. I've got fingers, toes and other things crossed at this point.

Last edited:
Everything is crossed up North for you too Andrew, good luck!

Bruce, I can pull/replace parts but have to pay a licensed tech to do it as they won't let me touch it. Guess they are afraid I'd rip s*** out and damage the car further? Crazy part is that I could have everything swapped out in an hour and I'd do it the right way. Emailed them receipts for the larger items, stereo, winter wheels/tires so now I'm waiting to see if they'll compensate me something for them.

Thanks folks, about to dig back into it here after lunch.

Jeff that sucks. You could ask them to let you grab a few personal items, and bring a tool set.
How're you doing health wise? Big wrecks can wreak all sorts of weird stuff, hope you're doing ok man.

Well, we got the head on and the cams & lifters back in place, then had to knock off for some family commitments.

20141223_145135.jpg

20141223_152359.jpg

20141223_182619.jpg

Tomorrow will be: exhaust manifold, intake, coil packs, coolant and oil. We'll do the ol' "crank it with the coils & injectors unplugged until we get oil pressure then hook everything up" trick, then fire it up. Hopefully, everything's in good working order. I've got fingers, toes and other things crossed at this point.
Eyes crossed here��
Everything is crossed up North for you too Andrew, good luck!

Bruce, I can pull/replace parts but have to pay a licensed tech to do it as they won't let me touch it. Guess they are afraid I'd rip s*** out and damage the car further? Crazy part is that I could have everything swapped out in an hour and I'd do it the right way. Emailed them receipts for the larger items, stereo, winter wheels/tires so now I'm waiting to see if they'll compensate me something for them.
That stinks!

The Miata lives! A fried battery and a never to be sufficiently damned dead fuel injector fuse did their level best to frustrate and stymie progress, but the Christmas spirit (?) and my own pig headedness (definitely that one) prevailed. We were getting spark, and no fuel, but the fuel pump was priming, so either the timing was way out of sync, or the injectors weren't firing. Pulling a spark plug revealed it to be the latter, as it was completely dry. The connection to the injector bank seemed fine, but the color on the filament of 1 of the 30A injector fuse was slightly off compared to a spare / unused 30A fuse next to it, but it was not broken. Being completely stumped at that point, I swapped the fuses and sure enough it fired up practically immediately. How's that for some Christmas cheer? :D

Obligatory Miata pic:

20141225_113300.jpg

Got a set of post anchors from my in-laws for a now-fully-functioning HANS for Christmas. Another piece of the Hill Climb puzzle falls into place :D

20141225_135930.jpg

Thanks folks, about to dig back into it here after lunch.

Jeff that sucks. You could ask them to let you grab a few personal items, and bring a tool set.
How're you doing health wise? Big wrecks can wreak all sorts of weird stuff, hope you're doing ok man.

Indeed and don't think that would fly at this yard. When I called the yard to ask about coming down to pull personal belongings the girl asked for my stock number and what time and day I'd be coming. This way they could have the car pulled out and ready for me so thinking someone would be watching me? Found out they'll mail personal items so gave her a list of stuff to pull including the plate.

Health wise is eh. Neck and shoulder injuries are re-aggravated...start PT on Tuesday. Banged my knee good as well so we'll address that at PT. Have a concussion as well and at times I still feel foggy/fuzzy. Find that I lose my words if I try to talk to much and the whole fam has noticed and told me that at times I slur my words or say something that doesn't even flow with the conversation.

Eyes crossed here��

That stinks!

lol and yes indeed!

The Miata lives! A fried battery and a never to be sufficiently damned dead fuel injector fuse did their level best to frustrate and stymie progress, but the Christmas spirit (?) and my own pig headedness (definitely that one) prevailed. We were getting spark, and no fuel, but the fuel pump was priming, so either the timing was way out of sync, or the injectors weren't firing. Pulling a spark plug revealed it to be the latter, as it was completely dry. The connection to the injector bank seemed fine, but the color on the filament of 1 of the 30A injector fuse was slightly off compared to a spare / unused 30A fuse next to it, but it was not broken. Being completely stumped at that point, I swapped the fuses and sure enough it fired up practically immediately. How's that for some Christmas cheer? :D

Woot! Nice detective work! Happy to hear it fired up and is running. :)

Nice loot for Christmas too. I've got some Kicker speakers and a cool breeze scoop awaiting the new Miata.

I got a "mod-to-fit" seat-back brace to meet Hill Climb regs for Christmas, so I did exactly that. Basically 2 holes in the seat that then are transferred to the brace, and a hole all the way through the bar is all that needed to be done. After this it's just 6 bolts (4 on the cage mount, 2 on the seats) that need to be undone to remove it for autocross duty (different sized drivers run the car regularly at autox events).

20150106_165300.jpg

And remember:

57814355.jpg

Suspension suspended, wheels on, hood on, new alignment stands built, seat back brace removed (unneeded for Solo), front tow hook installed, and the bumper removed to finish modifying it to clear the 15x10s. Progress. Next steps are to get all the sheet metal hung and start dialing in ride height and alignment.

20150111_153256.jpg

Absolutely. As much as I've changed on the car lately, it'd be pointless / silly not to. I've got a buddy that has scales who occasionally will let me borrow them.

I really need to get my own set, but they ain't cheap.

This was the last time I did it. Cross-weights dead f**kin' on :D

IMG_20130302_150349.jpg

Picked up a couple of workshop "probably oughtta haves" to keep the car company used last night from a buddy who was getting rid of a bunch of stuff: fold up engine hoist & stand.

20150112_135727.jpg

Back