what gas you ppl use?

pr5owner

Contributor
:
2001 Mazda Proteg5
mid grade or premium? can you people get away with mid without pinging and knocking? what about regular? <--?? (yes) ??

I know gas is expensive as hell right now, so i too have tryed the putting plus in the car and not premium. Since the car runs so rich anyway, it seems to bog down alot and not run well at all. May just be my experience, but who knows.

i thought the owner's manual calls for 87 octane? Using anything more than that is kinda a waste isn't it? If the car is designed around knowing the gas will combust at a certain temperature, why put gas in it that combusts at a higher temperature. Gas prices are ridiculous though, I took my sister's eclipse downtown (requires 91) and at Mobil 93 (they don't have 91) was 2.21 a gallon. Even 87 is over 2 dollars now :(

Yeah, the owners manual does say 87, but read further and it says "For Mazdaspeed models, use only 91 octane and up".

Use premium fuel only. The higher the octane rating, the better! Throw in some Sunoco GT 100 when you can afford it. Stay away from any fuel additives or fuel cleaners.

Your car will not operate properly for long if you cut corners and use a lower octane rating.

I have been using 91 Octane since I got mine but have been contemplating using 87. A bunch of other people I know say that because we live in a higher altitude (approx 1 mile up) we can get away with using 87 octane. Does anyone here know if there is some truth to this?

I use 93 octane..the car requires 91 octane or above. I personally dont want to see if the car can run on regular or not. I imagine that I'll finally know what knocking sounds like if I do.

Gas id ******* expenisve. over $2 a gallon....errrr. I know florida isnt that bad and I feel people who live in states where gas is expensive...CAli.

"(no) but have fun wasting your money."

Don't be concerned, I have plenty! Use the lower octane if you want. That extra cash you saved will go right to your mechanic!:'( <!-- / message --><!-- sig -->

92-94 Depends on which station I stop at. And I have to watch because in the midwest a lot of stations add ethonal(sp?) to the gas...

92 only for me...the highest we have here, I never have and never will put regular in it, although you could probably get away with it if you drive like a grandma.

I've always used the 93 octane here in Texas...1.98 a gallon here in Houston, just filled up by campus. Thats pretty expensive for us.

stay out of boost is what I imagine if you want to get away with using low octane...but its still risky.

skimp on just $0.10-$0.20 per gallon.

fill her up with high octane gas. Be thankful you dont drive that supercharged mustang with 700whp that rolling around orlando...he runs on race gas everyday on top of his crappy gas milage. And he says its his daily driver. Might as well be running a methan kit...cheaper. lol.

But that think is sick..."What tracktion?" LOL

Chevron 94 for my speed... its now 1.045 / litre which is crazy expensive,,, went up 7 cents a litre the other day boooooo.

Back