What engine coolant to do a flush?

:
2014.5 CX-5 GS FWD 2.5L
Been a while since I been on here. Our 2014 is still purring along. Figured it's time to do a coolant flush. We're at 8 years, and about 120,000 kms.
So do I need anything special for coolant??
One store sells ONE jug, "good for all makes and models".
The next store has 10 different colored jugs, specific for chev, toyota, mazda, etc.
Haven't done this for quite a few years so didn't know they make everything so complicated. Does it really make a difference?? Should I use the jug that reads specific for Mazda??
thanks

I used the ZEREX Asian Blue when I did mine 2 years ago. Could have used the Asian Green. The Green premix/diluted is 17.99/gal at Amazon. I bought mine from Advance Auto with the discount for online order and store pickup.

Premix is a rip-off. I will never, ever buy water that costs that much.
I understand your feelings, but looking at the two previous posts (ignoring that they are different brands), $25 for full concentrated, means $12.50 for 1/2 gallon. Comes to $5.50 for 1/2 gallon of water compared to the $17.99 for 50/50 premix. You'd pay a fair bit of that for distilled water, so the difference in reality is just a couple or so bucks for the convenience of not faffing about trying to measure amounts, finding mixing containers, spill cleanup, etc.

I get demin water from work for free. And even at my local grocery store, they have the 2.5 gallon jugs of demin (the ones with the tap) for like $5.

Premix is a rip-off. I will never, ever buy water that costs that much.
when I bought mine 2 years ago it was $15/gal premix with the online (20-25%) discount so $30 for 2 gallons wasn't real hateful. The premix made the job simpler.

I get demin water from work for free. And even at my local grocery store, they have the 2.5 gallon jugs of demin (the ones with the tap) for like $5.
So you made my point. I doubt many have much use for demin water, so it would cost $5 buy that vs the $5.50 difference and without the aggravation.

$5 for 2.5 gallons. That's only $2/gallon. If you buy premix, you're paying $18/gallon for literal water.

No thanks.

No it's not. For $18, you get a jug containing half a gallon of coolant, plus a half a gallon of water.
That means for $36, you get a gallon of coolant, and a gallon of water. That makes water $18/gallon.

Comparing apples to apples then... For 2 gallons of mixed antifreeze, it would be $25 for the gallon of concentrate, plus $5 for your demin water from the grocery store... total $30. Versus $36 for 2 gals of premixed 50/50. Difference = $6, but without the aggravation.

well sorry for starting a debate on concentrate or premix, thats' beside the point.
Was more concerned about the type. It does say FL22 on the rad cap, so buying the "mazda" compatible seems to be the smart choice, and not using the yellow jug that reads good for all makes and models.

If you want OEM Mazda FL22, it may be hard to find locally. My local service center was out back in February and they said there was a national shortage. I was able to get it at Mazda swag for a fairly decent price: 0000-77-508F-20 - Mazda Coolant FL22 - MazdaSwag

If you’re ok with an aftermarket coolant and want to buy locally, Zerex Asian green is the direction I’d go as others have suggested.

Read my post #88 on mixing OEM coolant.

The Mazda fl22 is $40 per container, is 55-45 premix and per Mazda is 10 year/120,000 mile coolant. Top off with Mazda fl22. After 10 years the zerex asian green pre mix( lists Mazda) is only $18 per bottle. On my other vehicles I flushed with water then one final flush with antifreeze before fill.

Things are so complicated now, that at the 10 year point, I will probably use zerex asian green. Otherwise will need to contact manufacturers to get guarantee that their full strength undiluted product(once mixed with water) will work for Mazda vehicles without any corrosive or rusting effects.

Last edited:
Read my post #88 on mixing OEM coolant.

The Mazda fl22 is $40 per container, is 55-45 premix and per Mazda is 10 year/120,000 mile coolant. Top off with Mazda fl22. After 10 years the zerex asian green pre mix( lists Mazda) is only $18 per bottle. On my other vehicles I flushed with water then one final flush with antifreeze before fill.

Things are so complicated now, that at the 10 year point, I will probably use zerex asian green. Otherwise will need to contact manufacturers to get guarantee that their full strength undiluted product(once mixed with water) will work for Mazda vehicles without any corrosive or rusting effects.
I'm at a bit over 9 years and 114k miles. Will see if I hit 10 year or 120k mile mark first. I have had to top up the reservoir twice in those 9 years, so I did buy one bottle of the FL22 55/45.

Back