What Does "reflash Ecu Mean?

It means to update or change the program that controls ignition timing, air/fuel ratio's, boost pressure and a million other things.

you can say that again!

our cars (and most others I presume) have what is called non-volatile memory. It's flashed and stored. When re-flashed, the old flash is lost.

how do you reflash your ecu?

SwampAss said:
you can say that again!

our cars (and most others I presume) have what is called non-volatile memory. It's flashed and stored. When re-flashed, the old flash is lost.
how do you do it and any benifits?

Yes, not sure when you p/u'd your speed3 but there is a reflash for the ecu available for our cars. This would obviously be done at the dealer.

gsrtype1 said:
how do you do it and any benifits?

can only be done by the dealer and yes there can be benefits to this. Mazda will release periodic "updates" to the ecu which have to be flashed in order for the change to take place. This is done if they find a better way to control the vehicle's ignition, timing, air/fuel ratio, etc.

B1GHAM said:
can only be done by the dealer and yes there can be benefits to this. Mazda will release periodic "updates" to the ecu which have to be flashed in order for the change to take place. This is done if they find a better way to control the vehicle's ignition, timing, air/fuel ratio, etc.

Once they release hand held tuners we'll be able to flash these ECU's. I can flash my Mustang's all day long from the comfort of.... anywhere.

CTGrey02 said:
Once they release hand held tuners we'll be able to flash these ECU's. I can flash my Mustang's all day long from the comfort of.... anywhere.

DiabloSport Predator I presume? Very slick interface and amazingly simple to do. I'm surprised nothing of the sort has become readily affordable and available to the Mazda community yet.

I have a 2006 Mazda 3, purchased last August; does anyone know if there's an update to the ECU for this model?

I have a 2006 Mazda 3, purchased last August; does anyone know if there's an update to the ECU for this model?

Short answer... maybe. The only way to know for sure is to take your car to a dealership service center to check the VIN against their computer. Naturally, you'll need to approach them with a legitimate 'problem' for them to hook it up. They'll tell you to go away if all you ask them is check for an ECU update. An acceptable excuse is that your check engine light came on.

Whats up bro, basically its like when you load windows on to your computer with an update, same thing for cars, its changes whatever the update is you want on it, being stock, stock upgrade/correction, or aftermarket. I dont want to beat this in the ground though... (five-0)

Back