What did you pay?

SwampAss said:
I am not sure that's true after the policy is bound. The only changes that can be made AFTER the bound date are ones you call in to adjust. They are forced to carry the bound rate until renewal. I used to underwrite for Va, NC, WV, OH, PA (tort hell!) MD, and DC.

Once your policy is bound, it's a contract. They only way your insurance will change mid-term is if you make changes. Companies can't send you random increases just because they made a mistake. They can however raise your rates at renewal. (I underwrite in Ontario)

Here in Ontario, the MS3 is not much higher at all than a regular 3. That may have something to do with the fact that there are only 250 of them in the country. They don't have enough real world info on the car to determine statistically how often it gets in accidents or is stolen.

SwampAss said:
I am not sure that's true after the policy is bound. The only changes that can be made AFTER the bound date are ones you call in to adjust. They are forced to carry the bound rate until renewal. I used to underwrite for Va, NC, WV, OH, PA (tort hell!) MD, and DC.

Well I can tell you it is true for Metlife because it happened to me. They has my car listed as a Mazda 3s, even though they had the correct VIN. When the system finally caught it, they sent me an adjustment to my policy. (I had already paid for the year.) I was billed for the difference.

I got mine for MSRP but I had the dealer pay for window tinting and the full 3M coating which would've cost about $1200. They also threw in a few other options like the auto-dimming mirror, etc. I knew it would be easier to get option-type stuff out of them than to get the price lowered. They were one of the few dealers that I called that wasn't charging over MSRP. When I got mine most of the Speed3s were getting bought before they even hit the showroom. I bought mine before it even got on the boat in Japan and had to wait about a month. It doubled my insurance with esurance (they look up the vin and rate on that even if they don't list the model). Bottom line: it was all worth it!

TheDutchGun said:
Once your policy is bound, it's a contract. They only way your insurance will change mid-term is if you make changes. Companies can't send you random increases just because they made a mistake. They can however raise your rates at renewal. (I underwrite in Ontario)

Here in Ontario, the MS3 is not much higher at all than a regular 3. That may have something to do with the fact that there are only 250 of them in the country. They don't have enough real world info on the car to determine statistically how often it gets in accidents or is stolen.

A similar story:

I was rating a policy in 1999 for a Hayabusa 1300. I knew what the bike was, the system did not. I referred to the underwriting guide and found I was to rate it for a similar model in regard to displacement. I can't remember exactly what I rated it similar to, but his 1 year premium was something like $300 full coverage on a 194mph motorcycle. I bet he flipped when he saw the deal. Luck of the draw, I also did his renewal. No additional violations or claims and his premium went up $900.
Not a happy camper.

GEICO = the best

$160 a month in PA for non-minium coverage. Perfect driving record though ;)

And yes, they do NOT distingush MS3 from the other 3's.

When I had gotten my MS3, I had to wait on the phone for over 30 minutes so progressive could rate the car since they had never heard of the vehicle.

I was paying $96 a month for full coverage, $250 ded., on what they thought was a 2.3 liter 3s model. Of course, it went up to about $146 / month now. I have one little item on my record that won't come off for another 3.5 years....

I payed sticker for my sport. While doing the paper work they sold another one, and the sales guy said a 3rd ws sold that morning.

they were not overly receptive to my haggling, neeless to say. This is in the sf bay area.

That is the story I keep hearing from most everyone. If you paid anything less than sticker, then you got a good deal. If you paid close to invoice, consider yourself extremely lucky. Either you know someone at the dealership, or you should have went to Vegas on the same day....

great deal

well I just picked up my car yesterday MSRP was 26,870 I payed 24,400. I negoiatited my price over the phone. Im a firm beliveer in consumer reports sure glad I spent the 12 dollers on that.

MS3 GT, sunlight silver, Aluminum fuel door $100, Sirius Sat $430, Wheel locks $40, Nav Sys $1750

You must know someone there, or the dealer lost his / her mind! The car's TMV (True Market Value) for Columbus, GA is $26,254. Here is what I find more insane... the invoice on your car is $25,061! So you paid $24,400 which is a $661 dollar loss for your dealer. Maybe that was the first time your dealer ever got his / her hands on an MS3 and thought it was just like a regular 3. (No offense to 3 owners...I had one.) Considering the outstanding sales, reviews, and rarity of the MS3, there isn't a dealer in the country that should be selling them at invoice, much less taking a loss.

You just won the equivalent of a car lottery! I bet your dealer isn't selling them anymore like that. If they are, I will buy five and sell them here for a huge profit!!!

well i think the dealer knows what they had i know the car i bought was on the lot for over 3 weeks. dealer holdbacks and the company i work for gets discouts with mazda. but basicly i called up asked to talk to sales manager and asked if car was on lot and told him ill pay 24,000 ill pick it up the ext dy you hve option to get me fianced if rate is good but i got beter rate thew my credit union and now im a prowd owner of a MAZDASPEED 3

the dealer had sold aother one 2 days before and a couple of the sales guys owned or made one but its amazing what consumer reports and staying in the drivers seat will do.

I'd love to see the PO on that one, supposedly Mazda's not paying out on S-Plans for that car.

Bought the 04 hatchback 5 speed in mid 05, fully loaded: leather NAV with all the goodies for around $19000

dkswim said:
well i think the dealer knows what they had i know the car i bought was on the lot for over 3 weeks. dealer holdbacks and the company i work for gets discouts with mazda. but basicly i called up asked to talk to sales manager and asked if car was on lot and told him ill pay 24,000 ill pick it up the ext dy you hve option to get me fianced if rate is good but i got beter rate thew my credit union and now im a prowd owner of a MAZDASPEED 3

The rate isn't really that big of deal here. That happens all the time. I am just amazed at what they were willing to sell the car for. I am willing to say you got a better deal than probably 99% of the MS3 owners on this site. If someone got a better deal (on a Sport or GT) I would love to hear about! It will just make me a little more jealous, but I just want to see how you pulled it off.

Last edited:
gru said:
GEICO = the best

$160 a month in PA for non-minium coverage. Perfect driving record though ;)

And yes, they do NOT distingush MS3 from the other 3's.

Actually, when I called around everyone (including geico) rated my msp3 higher than the wrx I had my current policy on. I can't imagine a regular 3 would be rated higher than a wrx, so they must differentiate. I ended up getting the best deal (184/m) with travelers. Keep in mind I totaled a bmw less than 3 years ago, other than that my record is clean.

Back