What did you pay for your CX-5?

Great deal! Congratulations. Can you tell us what part of the country you are in or even the dealer? Did you do anything in particular to negotiate?

we are in North Carolina, I did all email negotiation , let 2 dealers beat each other's price, this dealer oringinally quoted me $800 OFF MSRP, and give him the lowest price other dealers are offering, and ask them if they can beat, they said yes, then, after several rounds, he told be $2800 off msrp if I pick up right now, today only, I was hesitating because it is 4 hrs drive, then he said find, he will offer me 1.9 apr as well, just come today. so we headed there......

2017 cx-5

2017 CX-5 Grand Touring AWD with Premium Package in Soul Red Crystal Metallic.

No trade-in. No incentives.

MSRP: $34,060
Discount: $2,460 (7.22% off)
OTD: $33,540

Financed at 1.9% APR.

I did all negotiations over phone. Worked with two dealers, the other dealer was willing to sell at $32,300 ($700 higher than my dealership's quote).
Visited the dealer only after agreeing on the price.

Checked the CX-5 out this past weekend and we fell in love with it. We are trading in a 2014 Kia Rio hatchback and we will definitely have negative equity ($7200!! Unfortunately) but I got a quote for a 2017 Mazda CX-5 Touring Machine Grey Metallic with the iActivsense package out the door for $27,500. The MSRP is $27,835. Is that a good deal? We are located in Virginia. Are we stupid to do this? Should we wait longer to pay off more on the Kia? I am the ultimate impulse buyer and I don't want to make a mistake...again lol

Nvm it ain't gonna happen :( maybe in the future..

Is it a good deal? Yes, seems to me. Should we pay off the Kia first? Absolutely. I'm of the opinion you should only be buying new cars if you're willing to keep them, well, I want to say 7-10 years, but 5 years should be the minimum. And at least until you can sell without going negative. Is it really worth paying a $7200 premium just to buy a new car? Think of what else you could do with an extra $7200 - that's real money you're spending/saving, and not just a number on paper. The Cx-5 isn't that good of a deal. If you really must, get a better deal on the 2016.5 closeout models for probably $5k cheaper.

Given you lose the most $$ in the first 2-3 years with depreciation, I'd recommend 2 options if you like to change cars frequently. Either lease (and fulfill the lease agreement for the full 2-3 years), or switch to buying/trading used cars. Sure you'll lose money on each trade in, but not as much as buying/trading new cars!

Good luck, and enjoy that Rio! :)

Is it a good deal? Yes, seems to me. Should we pay off the Kia first? Absolutely. I'm of the opinion you should only be buying new cars if you're willing to keep them, well, I want to say 7-10 years, but 5 years should be the minimum. And at least until you can sell without going negative. Is it really worth paying a $7200 premium just to buy a new car? Think of what else you could do with an extra $7200 - that's real money you're spending/saving, and not just a number on paper. The Cx-5 isn't that good of a deal. If you really must, get a better deal on the 2016.5 closeout models for probably $5k cheaper.

Given you lose the most $$ in the first 2-3 years with depreciation, I'd recommend 2 options if you like to change cars frequently. Either lease (and fulfill the lease agreement for the full 2-3 years), or switch to buying/trading used cars. Sure you'll lose money on each trade in, but not as much as buying/trading new cars!

Good luck, and enjoy that Rio! :)

Thanks! We definitely are going to wait it out. It was a mistake in the first place to even get this Rio! Of course because of my meddling and impulse tendency. My poor husband lol We only want to upgrade because we need something bigger and with more power. I currently drive a 2015 Golf and plan on keeping that til it runs down...but we do plan on making this CX-5 a final car purchase for A WHILE! We were going to wait to check out the new VW Tiguan but I'm thinking this Mazda will be more reliable in the long run.

Checked the CX-5 out this past weekend and we fell in love with it. We are trading in a 2014 Kia Rio hatchback and we will definitely have negative equity ($7200!! Unfortunately) but I got a quote for a 2017 Mazda CX-5 Touring Machine Grey Metallic with the iActivsense package out the door for $27,500. The MSRP is $27,835. Is that a good deal? We are located in Virginia. Are we stupid to do this? Should we wait longer to pay off more on the Kia? I am the ultimate impulse buyer and I don't want to make a mistake...again lol

Nvm it ain't gonna happen :( maybe in the future..

Well, since you are asking for advice. I recommend that you completely pay off your Kia Rio and then save enough down for your next car that you couldn't ever be under water on it.

How do you end up with $7K negative equity on a sub $20K car? Wow!

Well, since you are asking for advice. I recommend that you completely pay off your Kia Rio and then save enough down for your next car that you couldn't ever be under water on it.

How do you end up with $7K negative equity on a sub $20K car? Wow!

Cause I'm a dummy and didn't think the purchase through!! 😩😩 regrets!! 😂

I know someone a while back who bought a new Tundra with a 10 year home equity loan. Yikes.

Yeesh...

Anyway, good call on waiting. Best to pay down the Rio and then go to the CX-5 clean, maybe even look at a GT at that point. $7200 is too much to be rolling into a new car loan.

Hey everyone,

Finally making the switch from my beloved Protege (first car ever) to hopefully a 2017 CX5 AWD GT (no package). I loathe the car buying process but I understand it's necessary. I'm in the NJ/Po cono area and am having a tough time finding dealers near me to give a good price. Got a quote from one place for $30,439 (with loyalty) and about $32530 OTD (6% PA tax). So my Mazda brothers and sisters, I pose the eternal question lol, Is this a good deal? I should also qualify for the ($500 Ve hicles for Change incentive here in the NorthEast.

Also, I'd really like a towing package installed. What are the odds of them throwing that in or other accessories?

Hey everyone,

Finally making the switch from my beloved Protege (first car ever) to hopefully a 2017 CX5 AWD GT (no package). I loathe the car buying process but I understand it's necessary. I'm in the NJ/Po cono area and am having a tough time finding dealers near me to give a good price. Got a quote from one place for $30,439 (with loyalty) and about $32530 OTD (6% PA tax). So my Mazda brothers and sisters, I pose the eternal question lol, Is this a good deal? I should also qualify for the ($500 Ve hicles for Change incentive here in the NorthEast.

Also, I'd really like a towing package installed. What are the odds of them throwing that in or other accessories?

What's the MSRP?

Cause I'm a dummy and didn't think the purchase through!! ���� regrets!! ��

Okay, I don't mean to pile on. Looks like you agree that looking at new cars isn't in your best interest.

Last edited:
Hey there,

The MSRP is $31,835 and the "invoice" is $30,982. This dealer has now gone down to $31,869 OTD. Things are getting interesting to say the least.

Cause I'm a dummy and didn't think the purchase through!! ���� regrets!! ��

Don't sweat it! I've watched my hubby go upside down on two of his three cars back in the days. I think it's safe to say that I've learned from his mistakes and have taken a better (albeit slower) approach to car buying. Forums are great resources for just about anything.

I hope to buy tomorrow. I haven't decided on GT with or without the premium. It will be red. The dealer has given me two prices: msrp and "invoice". On the Premium I can get it for $1000 off MSRP ($32815 to $31815). The non premium is $750 off MSRP.

Doesn't seem like much compared to you guys. I compared it to another dealer and the other can do slightly better but the one I am using says they don't go below "invoice" because they'll lose money.

I hate this game. Ultimately, I don't mind the price...I just don't want to be lied to.....looks like I have some inner demons to slay.

I hope to buy tomorrow. I haven't decided on GT with or without the premium. It will be red. The dealer has given me two prices: msrp and "invoice". On the Premium I can get it for $1000 off MSRP ($32815 to $31815). The non premium is $750 off MSRP.

Doesn't seem like much compared to you guys. I compared it to another dealer and the other can do slightly better but the one I am using says they don't go below "invoice" because they'll lose money.

I hate this game. Ultimately, I don't mind the price...I just don't want to be lied to.....looks like I have some inner demons to slay.

You are not alone. We rode out our last lease for 39 months because I hate buying cars. I don't want to be lied to either, but I'd rather spend time enjoying the car than dickering over price.

Hello all! Long time lurker, first time posting! I am very interested in a fully loaded 2016.5 GT AWD. I figured the time was right, as I've heard dealerships are trying to move out their 2016 models. I emailed 3 different dealerships near me asking for their best lrice, and each one quoted at around $30,000 before $2000 cash back. I understand the have to make a profit, but I'm a little underwhelmed by the offers. I have seen similar offers on 2017 model. Does any one have any advice or had a different experience?

Hello all! Long time lurker, first time posting! I am very interested in a fully loaded 2016.5 GT AWD. I figured the time was right, as I've heard dealerships are trying to move out their 2016 models. I emailed 3 different dealerships near me asking for their best lrice, and each one quoted at around $30,000 before $2000 cash back. I understand the have to make a profit, but I'm a little underwhelmed by the offers. I have seen similar offers on 2017 model. Does any one have any advice or had a different experience?

Yea, that's not a good deal man. What's the MSRP of the one you're wanting? Minimum I would pay would be 10% plus the $2k CC. let me know if more info is needed...

Back