What did you pay for your CX-5?

Invoice on these cars is only ~1000 lower than MSRP. If you're happy with 1000 off MSRP that's fine, but it looks to me like some people on here are getting their cars (especially the higher trims) for quite a bit lower than invoice.

Well, let's see. MSRP for my car/options (purchased in August) is $28,850. Edmunds TMV is $27,934 and the TruePrice Estimate is $27,497. I paid $26,921 by negotiating dealer invoice and not paying the destination fee or any other BS fees they come up with (my favorite: "Dealer Inventory Tax" -- it's not a tax. Inventory is a cost of doing business. A restaurant is not charging me extra for keeping their pantry stocked so they can prepare a meal for me, either).

So yes, I am happy, but I guess I ended up paying about $2000 under MSRP myself (to prove your point). :)

I live in LA area of California. I got this offer. Thoughts on how much harder to push or whether we are in the ballpark?

Thanks all.

Year:2015
Make: Mazda
Model: CX-5 Touring AWD
Options: Bose/Moonroof Pkg, Tech Package, Crystal White Pearl
MSRP: $29,860
Offer: $27,808

Is this out the door?

Here is the deal I just cut. I'm in LA area of CA. Picking it up tomorrow.

Options: Bose/Moonroof Pkg, Tech Package, Roof Rack and Cargo Cover
Color: Black/black
MSRP: $30,135
Invoice: $29,010
Deal: $27,154.17 plus tax (9%), licensing and misc CA fees - Out the door $30,000
No trade in

I'm happy. Applause or catcalls from the crowd??

Here is the deal I just cut. I'm in LA area of CA. Picking it up tomorrow.

Options: Bose/Moonroof Pkg, Tech Package, Roof Rack and Cargo Cover
Color: Black/black
MSRP: $30,135
Invoice: $29,010
Deal: $27,154.17 plus tax (9%), licensing and misc CA fees - Out the door $30,000
No trade in

I'm happy. Applause or catcalls from the crowd??

Applause! You'll be happy with your new addition! I'm in la too. I've seen five at work, out of the 1000 cars in the parking lot. Other than that I don't see them very often. (I'm always on the lookout)

Hopefully new CX-5 owner by the 31st...and 1st time posting here.

I'm in talks with a few local dealers in purchasing by tonight/tomorrow (month-end quotas must be met!)

Mine is a lease deal...and pretty good numbers so far:
Sport-auto with bluetooth and roof rails, free tints thrown in
$260 all in, $1000 total inception and no money down.
39 month, 39k miles

I've updated the others with this particular dealer's pricing and letting them bid for my business. lowest bidder wins!!! (nana)

2015 CX5 GT, Meteor Gray + Tech Pkg.

$29,430.52 (incl TTL + dealer inventory tax) on road. Costco price + incentives ( $500 loyalty + $500 bonus for cash) applied.

Sticker : MSRP $27970 + Tech Pkg: 1425 + Delivery,Processing,Handling: $830 = $30,225.
The sticker had an additional tag for Dealer Installed Equipment (Safety, Appearance and Nitrogen) = $967.
I presume Safety =Wheel locks (will remove them at some point)
and Appearance = Pin stripe (got that removed before pickup) + front window tint.

Last edited:
i just bought my car today - 2015 CX-5, gray, touring, 2 miles on it, no addons - 24000 + tax/title/etc. seems like i got a decent deal, not a great deal, not a bad one, just a decent one

2015 CX5 GT, Meteor Gray + Tech Pkg.

$29,430.52 (incl TTL + dealer inventory tax) on road. Costco price + incentives ( $500 loyalty + $500 bonus for cash) applied.

Sticker : MSRP $27970 + Tech Pkg: 1425 + Delivery,Processing,Handling: $830 = $30,225.
The sticker had an additional tag for Dealer Installed Equipment (Safety, Appearance and Nitrogen) = $967.
I presume Safety =Wheel locks (will remove them at some point)
and Appearance = Pin stripe (got that removed before pickup) + front window tint.
Never pay for Nitrogen. In fact, all that Dealer Installed Equipment is where they really make their money. That's a big red flag that the dealer is looking to jack up the out the door price. You can do better.

I'm working with a dealer on a 2015 CX-5 Grand Touring AWD. MSRP is $30,250 and their sale price is 28,088.00 plus $605 tax and $234 Title/License fees. Any thoughts on this price? The dealer showed me the invoice for the car and it was $29k. I've looked at Truecar and edmunds, and have heard of people getting as much as $2500 under MSRP, but I don't know if I can get the dealership to budge anymore.

just bought one!

I'm working with a dealer on a 2015 CX-5 Grand Touring AWD. MSRP is $30,250 and their sale price is 28,088.00 plus $605 tax and $234 Title/License fees. Any thoughts on this price? The dealer showed me the invoice for the car and it was $29k. I've looked at Truecar and edmunds, and have heard of people getting as much as $2500 under MSRP, but I don't know if I can get the dealership to budge anymore.

I just bought a 2015 CX-5 GT AWD this week. MSRP was $30,050 so It seems like yours has $200 of extra accessories or upgraded paint color. Mine is black. $27,150 with our own financing, $199 dealer fee. In MO, we pay TTL directly to the dmv, not at the dealership.

Actually had the price down to $27,000 for an in stock gt awd in blue mica, but I wanted black, which required a dealer swap, so they squeezed me for the extra $150. Three other dealers in my area declined to match/beat the price unless we did the Mazda financing, so I think we did pretty good on getting to the lowest price.

Cool, I'm looking at the Black CX-5 too. I never thought I would buy a black car, but the CX-5 looks slick in black. I think the extra $200 is the cargo cover. Maybe I'll try and get them to throw roof rails in at cost.

Can someone explain what tax is calculated on?
Is it on the total amount of everything (vehicle amount + accessories + destination + document fees + registrations... everything).
I ask this because I have been getting some quotes for out the door pricing and have been given the: Out the door price, tax amount, freight, tags and doc fees... but working backwards the tax just doesn't seem to work out.

Can someone explain what tax is calculated on?
Is it on the total amount of everything (vehicle amount + accessories + destination + document fees + registrations... everything).
I ask this because I have been getting some quotes for out the door pricing and have been given the: Out the door price, tax amount, freight, tags and doc fees... but working backwards the tax just doesn't seem to work out.

Vehicle amount plus accessories/extras minus trade-in.

The tax rate might be different, though. Houston has a city tax of 2% that is not applied to car sales, so my tax rate for this deal was only 6.25% instead of the general sales tax rate of 8.25%.

Never pay for Nitrogen. In fact, all that Dealer Installed Equipment is where they really make their money. That's a big red flag that the dealer is looking to jack up the out the door price. You can do better.

No, the Dealer Installed Equipment are not charged with the Costco price. It was $29,430.52 on the road.

Hey guys, been reading this thread a lot and decided to share my own experience so far (I'm getting burnt out).

Received a quote of $27,000 for a 2015 CX-5 Touring AWD with Bose/Moonroof and Tech, roof rails, and wheel locks. However, as they kept pushing a lease on me despite my request to not lease and instead purchase, and I had to get to class, I walked away (did not receive a card, did not receive a brochure even though I asked twice).

I then began shopping online: inquired to a bunch of dealers in the area: one dealer offered to match their price (even though they are over an hour away), and another dealer had an identical 2014 and he offered me $25,800 on the phone (really should not have called... I should have just waited for that e-mail that has never come).

So I called in to schedule a test drive, drove the 45 minutes out of my way to the dealer who had the 2014. I mentioned his $25,800 was fair, and I wanted to go ahead with it. In fact, I mentioned his $25,800 quote multiple times, and he never denied it. However, after signing to allow him to run a credit check (over 750 for both myself and my wife), he comes back with a price sheet that now has negotiated price of $28,900. At this point, I get quite upset because I allowed him to run a hard credit check on false pretense, and he suddenly pulled away from his previous quote. So I ask him "what about the $25,800 quote you gave me" and he mumbled something about "there are fees and stuff like that." When I asked him "what does the word quote mean to you," he avoided it, saying "this is the invoice price" which is the best he could do (calling into question his competence in first giving me a quote).

I explained to him that I had quotes from two other dealers for a 2015 model for $27,000 so it was ludicrous to expect me to pay $1,800 more for an older model. But to add insult to injury, he then: explains that as a "first time car buyer" I would only be eligible for 3.49% financing, possibly 2.99% if another bank called bank; explains that the "Mazda loyalty" only applies to people buying their second Mazda at the same dealership as their previous one; explains the dealership would be losing money if he offered any price below invoice (I understand factory holdbacks and dealer incentives--in fact, in our phone call he cited the inclusion of a $500 dealer incentive for the 2014 model year in order to arrive at $25,800). So I packed up my laptop with my spreadsheets and research, shook his hand, and walked away with my wife. At this point, he kind of scurries off to say "maybe I can do a little better, hold on" but I ignored him, shaking with my increased cortisol. As we're walking out the door, there are two employees on a bench outside, and I know they hear us saying "that was ridiculous," so one gets up and runs inside. As I started my car to back out, I see the manager and the guy from outside opening the door, then waving me down and shaking a piece of paper. In fact, as I'm putting it into drive, I see the other employee on the bench attempting to wave me down as well (the salesman who was working with me was nowhere to be found). I just drove away.

So after getting two calls from them and ignoring them, I get a voicemail from the salesman: give me a call back, that was my invoice, I can do a little better on my invoice, probably could do 27 on that vehicle, or I could get to 25 without the touring package. Which, in my mind, is a worthless voicemail.

What's worse, when I broke down the numbers for the paper quote of $399.xx over 84 months with $2,000 down and a "negotiated" price of $28,900 (approximately $31,501 after tax, title & license in SB county CA), I discovered the APR he was quoting would be nearly 4%, not even the 3.49% he stated I would be receiving (total purchase price of approximately $35,589).

So I drove home, calmed down a bit, and called up my local dealership that had given me the $27,000 quote on the 2015, albeit not in the color we wanted (silver, not black). I explained that I had not received a card previously, but wanted to come in and explore purchasing from them, perhaps asking for a different color (I really am thinking about scooping the same car from that dealership, buying it from my local one...). He said it would be possible, but only after I came in and did the paperwork, because they would have to buy the car outright from the other dealer and wouldn't want to do that if it wasn't a guaranteed sale (understandable).

But then I asked him two questions:
1)being a first time car buyer with a credit score closer to 800 than 750 would that preclude me from any special financing?
(no, anything over about 700 will get me 0.9% financing)
2) How about a quote, what does the word quote mean to you?--this is where I explained i was brought in on a 25.8k quote and then suddenly it was 28.9k and I walked
(sometimes big dealerships lowball to get you in the door, because they don't really care if you buy or not, they just want you in their door... we don't do that here, if you get a quote, we honor it).

So that's where I'm at now:
2015 Mazda CX-5 AWD Touring w/ Moonroof/Bose & Technology, roof rack side rails, wheel locks.
$27,000 quote (before TTL) in SoCal, price matched to another dealer for identical car.

Hey guys, been reading this thread a lot and decided to share my own experience so far (I'm getting burnt out).

Received a quote of $27,000 for a 2015 CX-5 Touring AWD with Bose/Moonroof and Tech, roof rails, and wheel locks. However, as they kept pushing a lease on me despite my request to not lease and instead purchase, and I had to get to class, I walked away (did not receive a card, did not receive a brochure even though I asked twice).

I then began shopping online: inquired to a bunch of dealers in the area: one dealer offered to match their price (even though they are over an hour away), and another dealer had an identical 2014 and he offered me $25,800 on the phone (really should not have called... I should have just waited for that e-mail that has never come).

So I called in to schedule a test drive, drove the 45 minutes out of my way to the dealer who had the 2014. I mentioned his $25,800 was fair, and I wanted to go ahead with it. In fact, I mentioned his $25,800 quote multiple times, and he never denied it. However, after signing to allow him to run a credit check (over 750 for both myself and my wife), he comes back with a price sheet that now has negotiated price of $28,900. At this point, I get quite upset because I allowed him to run a hard credit check on false pretense, and he suddenly pulled away from his previous quote. So I ask him "what about the $25,800 quote you gave me" and he mumbled something about "there are fees and stuff like that." When I asked him "what does the word quote mean to you," he avoided it, saying "this is the invoice price" which is the best he could do (calling into question his competence in first giving me a quote).

I explained to him that I had quotes from two other dealers for a 2015 model for $27,000 so it was ludicrous to expect me to pay $1,800 more for an older model. But to add insult to injury, he then: explains that as a "first time car buyer" I would only be eligible for 3.49% financing, possibly 2.99% if another bank called bank; explains that the "Mazda loyalty" only applies to people buying their second Mazda at the same dealership as their previous one; explains the dealership would be losing money if he offered any price below invoice (I understand factory holdbacks and dealer incentives--in fact, in our phone call he cited the inclusion of a $500 dealer incentive for the 2014 model year in order to arrive at $25,800). So I packed up my laptop with my spreadsheets and research, shook his hand, and walked away with my wife. At this point, he kind of scurries off to say "maybe I can do a little better, hold on" but I ignored him, shaking with my increased cortisol. As we're walking out the door, there are two employees on a bench outside, and I know they hear us saying "that was ridiculous," so one gets up and runs inside. As I started my car to back out, I see the manager and the guy from outside opening the door, then waving me down and shaking a piece of paper. In fact, as I'm putting it into drive, I see the other employee on the bench attempting to wave me down as well (the salesman who was working with me was nowhere to be found). I just drove away.

So after getting two calls from them and ignoring them, I get a voicemail from the salesman: give me a call back, that was my invoice, I can do a little better on my invoice, probably could do 27 on that vehicle, or I could get to 25 without the touring package. Which, in my mind, is a worthless voicemail.

What's worse, when I broke down the numbers for the paper quote of $399.xx over 84 months with $2,000 down and a "negotiated" price of $28,900 (approximately $31,501 after tax, title & license in SB county CA), I discovered the APR he was quoting would be nearly 4%, not even the 3.49% he stated I would be receiving (total purchase price of approximately $35,589).

So I drove home, calmed down a bit, and called up my local dealership that had given me the $27,000 quote on the 2015, albeit not in the color we wanted (silver, not black). I explained that I had not received a card previously, but wanted to come in and explore purchasing from them, perhaps asking for a different color (I really am thinking about scooping the same car from that dealership, buying it from my local one...). He said it would be possible, but only after I came in and did the paperwork, because they would have to buy the car outright from the other dealer and wouldn't want to do that if it wasn't a guaranteed sale (understandable).

1)being a first time car buyer with a credit score closer to 800 than 750 would that preclude me from any special financing?
2) How about a quote, what does the word quote mean to you?--this is where I explained i was brought in on a 25.8k quote and then suddenly it was 28.9k and I walked
(sometimes big dealerships lowball to get you in the door, because they don't really care if you buy or not, they just want you in their door... we don't do that here, if you get a quote, we honor it).

2015 Mazda CX-5 AWD Touring w/ Moonroof/Bose & Tech, roof rack side rails, wheel locks.
$27,000 quote (before TTL) in SoCal, price matched to another dealer for identical car.

$25,800 on a brand new 2014 Mazda CX-5 AWD Touring w/ Moonroof/Bose & Technology, roof rack side rails, wheel locks (I'm surprised that there would be a new 2014 equipped like that, can't find many on Autotrader) would have been an excellent deal. I just paid $25,250 (including the silly $495 dealer doc fee) for a 2014 CPO Touring/Tech/Moonroof but only FWD with 11K. And I had to beat them up to get that price. A couple people chimed in here with "Ouch!" inferring that I had been ripped off. I hate feeling like I got ripped off, my wife didn't think it was such a great deal. She thought we should have just bought a new one, although it's hard to find a new Touring/Tech 2014/2015 for less than $28K. Dunno, the dealer probably always wins. Most dealership owners are multimillionaires.

2015 Mazda CX-5 AWD Touring w/ Moonroof/Bose & Technology, roof rack side rails, wheel locks.

So shady man. Is it against board rules to call out dealerships? Could save some folks done heartache

Here in the bay area the best true car price for a new silver AWD touring w/o tech pkg is 25638. I found the same vehicle used with 17k for 24700.

Back