What did you pay for your CX-5?

Hi All - I'm a new CX-5 owner. Purchased a Touring with Bose/Moonroof and the Technology package. No other extras. We didn't want the Technology Package, but that was available in the CX-5 on the lot...

We paid $26,300 (which included a $500 Loyalty Discount, as I'm a previous Mazda3 owner). This is abvout $1,500 under invoice price, I think (basically didn't pay for the Technology Package). Once you add in TTL and my wife purchased an $1,800 extended warranty plus insurance for the fancy key fob, OTD was $31,223.

Ugh, too bad about the extended warranty and key fob insurance. They are of questionable value. That's almost pure profit for the dealers, I don't think they make much off of actual car sales. But you will enjoy the Tech package. I think it's actually a remarkable value, I searched long and hard for a Touring so equipped. Between Nav, HID Xenon, Rain Sensing Wipers, Brake Assist, Homelink etc these are all useful features that after a few weeks of driving you'll wonder how you ever lived without them.

I live in LA area of California. I got this offer. Thoughts on how much harder to push or whether we are in the ballpark?

Thanks all.

Year:2015
Make: Mazda
Model: CX-5 Touring AWD
Options: Bose/Moonroof Pkg, Tech Package, Crystal White Pearl
MSRP: $29,860
Offer: $27,808

I live in LA area of California. I got this offer. Thoughts on how much harder to push or whether we are in the ballpark?

Thanks all.

Well I just got a CPO CX-5 FWD with 11K miles (but in Meteor Grey) for $25,250 including their $495 doc fee.

Ouch! I was out the door for about that price but I got a brand new 2015 Touring AWD with bose/moonroof.. with 49 miles on it. Not sure how you avoided any depreciation since you bought used for the same price you could have gotten new.

Ouch x 2
I agree.

Ouch x 2
I agree.
A new 2015 Touring AWD with bose/moonroof but no Tech package has an MSRP of $28,175 not counting tax/title/tag/dealer doc fees. You're telling me that you guys (or one of you) got this car for about $25,250 out the door? That's counting tax/title/tag/dealership doc fees? Not counting those extra variables, it means you got at least $2925 off MSRP. Hmm.

And did you get the Tech package? I did not get AWD, but do have tech which lists for $235 more. And again, I did get CPO, with the extended (but limited) bumper-to-bumper for another 12mo/12K after factory warranty and the extended powertrain warranty which goes to 7yr/100K, both with zero deductible.

2014 CX-5 Touring with Tech and moonroof/Bose:

$28,225 sticker, including destination. Plus ridiculous $795 dealer added options which was a paint protectant and nitrogen in the tires.
$24,855 Negotiated Sale Price
$28,200 Out the door cost (sales tax, license, title, inspection, GAP coverage, dealer inventory fee, documentary fee), had a trade in so didnt finance that much but that was the final cost of the car.

I would not do business with any dealer promoting nitrogen tires as a gas-saving feature. It sets the bar for their expectations of customer gullibility. A pretty low bar.

whats the best price reported here for a FWD Touring cx-5 with tech package? just want to compare my price with others on how i did

Ok, I have become obsessed with whether or not I got a good deal, so here's what I paid for our identical CX-5 (except it was a CPO with the extended B2B and Powertrain warranties and 11K miles).
$24,755 + $495 dealer doc fee for my OTD price of $25,250.

2015s are out now. i'm being told 1000 off MSRP in my area for a GT AWD. i would need about a 5000 discount to consider a 2014 model.
I just spent the last 3 weeks searching obsessively for CPO 2014 leftover with super low miles. There is absolutely no way you can get $5000 off. I mean show me your final purchase price and prove me wrong, but I contacted 6 dealers, played them off against each other and I still only saved $1000 or so by going CPO. And I had to negotiate for half a day on the phone and email to just to get that much off. I guess I'm a horrible negotiator.

Thanks all.

This is a good week as it's the end of the month. Contact a couple more dealerships. Your offer is good, but if you're patient another day, you might be able to get more off. $2500 off MSRP is what my aim was after reading forums and such. But if no other dealership beats that offer, I think you still got a good deal.

Why does everyone start or measure their price negotiations with/against MSRP? It's easy to find out what the dealer invoice price is for the car and accessories/options. It's easier to start negotiating up from there (or just hold the line; dealer invoice is basically what I got my car for) than it is to negotiate down from MSRP... Make them justify why you should pay more rather than you justifying why you should pay less. They'll still make their money on holdback and other allowances.

Just my $0.02

What was the MSRP on yours?

Did you get the Tech package with Nav, Smart City Brake Assist, HID headlights, rain sensing wipers, homelink, and auto-dimming mirror? Also CPO costs about $1,100, for an 7yr/100K powertrain warranty, plus and extended 12K of bumper to bumper.

I hate posting to the forums, I always find out I got a terrible deal. (pissed)

MSRP (before taxes, title, fees) was $25,400, no tech package. OTD was $27,813. Sorry, did mix up MSRP vs. out the door price but just looked up the figures again. My mom, the day after I bought mine, got a black FWD Touring with bose/moonroof, roof rack (no tech pkg) for $25,100 MSRP (don't remember what it was out the door).

My point was, I got a brand new 2015 (AWD and bose/moonroof) with 49 miles on it. You got a 2014 with 11,000 miles on it. Though you got "out the door" for $2,563 less than I did, I would not have taken a used car with 11k miles on it to save $2,500. Also, I got a 0% loan whereas I am doubtful you were able to get a 0% loan on a used car. You are probably paying between 0.9-4%, unless you paid cash for the car.

It just wouldn't make any sense to me to be spending $25k+ on a used vehicle.

MSRP (before taxes, title, fees) was $25,400, no tech package. OTD was $27,813. Sorry, did mix up MSRP vs. out the door price but just looked up the figures again. My mom, the day after I bought mine, got a black FWD Touring with bose/moonroof, roof rack (no tech pkg) for $25,100 MSRP (don't remember what it was out the door).

My point was, I got a brand new 2015 (AWD and bose/moonroof) with 49 miles on it. You got a 2014 with 11,000 miles on it. Though you got "out the door" for $2,563 less than I did, I would not have taken a used car with 11k miles on it to save $2,500. Also, I got a 0% loan whereas I am doubtful you were able to get a 0% loan on a used car. You are probably paying between 0.9-4%, unless you paid cash for the car.

It just wouldn't make any sense to me to be spending $25k+ on a used vehicle.
The AWD vs Tech package comparison is interesting, I valued the latter over the former. Mazda prices the Tech package at about $235 more than AWD, which is a bit surprising. I think $2500 is a lot of money, and I did pay cash. I ran the CPO numbers on Edmunds before I talked to anyone and I got the dealer down to the lower end of fair market value, even with his ludicrous $495 doc fee. (If I could make $495 processing paperwork for 20 minutes, I'd be a millionaire.) By the way, where did they stick that $830 destination fee? that was another major reason I avoid new. They always use it as leverage to jack up the price after they've baited you into the showroom with a lowball list.

Used / CPO values are a bit more squirrelly than new ones to pin down, and it's harder to find exactly comparable models. But still, this is a car that I fully expect to run without major problems for 100K miles. And even if it does have a major drivetrain issue, I'm covered under CPO warranty for 7yr/100K. I was surprised you responded with "ouch" because I feel like I worked the best deal I could, said no to all the silly extra warranty add-ons, and had everything locked up via phone/email before we set foot in the dealership.

You'd never spend over $25K on any used vehicle? That's kind of a blanket statement. In 2008 I bought an off-lease 2006 Lexus GS 300 AWD /Nav & Mark Levinson audio and 20K miles in absolutely mint condition. Instead of spending $53K in some Lexus showroom, I spent $35K at a lease-return auto broker. Even though I stupidly financed $25K of that deal (will never do that again) and paid a few thousand in interest, I still came out way ahead. Still have the car, now with about 88K on it, and people think it's new. No major mechanical issues, and I used the remainder of the warranty to deal with issues like dashboard rattles and every little picky annoyance I could find. Point is, in the long run, new cars just don't make financial sense.

ps- Your vehicle became used the minute you drove it off the lot.

Last edited:
I'm in the Bay Area, CA and I picked up my 2015 AWD G/T w/Tech for $29,350. Total OTD price including taxes, license and other fees was $32,107.70. I used Truecar.com to establish the lowest price and Dublin Mazda matched it.

I'm in the Bay Area, CA and I picked up my 2015 AWD G/T w/Tech for $29,350. Total OTD price including taxes, license and other fees was $32,107.70. I used Truecar.com to establish the lowest price and Dublin Mazda matched it.

I'm amazed how much the GT ends up costing. It's like a whole different car from the Sport.

The AWD vs Tech package comparison is interesting, I valued the latter over the former. Mazda prices the Tech package at about $235 more than AWD, which is a bit surprising. I think $2500 is a lot of money, and I did pay cash. I ran the CPO numbers on Edmunds before I talked to anyone and I got the dealer down to the lower end of fair market value, even with his ludicrous $495 doc fee. (If I could make $495 processing paperwork for 20 minutes, I'd be a millionaire.) By the way, where did they stick that $830 destination fee? that was another major reason I avoid new. They always use it as leverage to jack up the price after they've baited you into the showroom with a lowball list.

Used / CPO values are a bit more squirrelly than new ones to pin down, and it's harder to find exactly comparable models. But still, this is a car that I fully expect to run without major problems for 100K miles. And even if it does have a major drivetrain issue, I'm covered under CPO warranty for 7yr/100K. I was surprised you responded with "ouch" because I feel like I worked the best deal I could, said no to all the silly extra warranty add-ons, and had everything locked up via phone/email before we set foot in the dealership.

You'd never spend over $25K on any used vehicle? That's kind of a blanket statement. In 2008 I bought an off-lease 2006 Lexus GS 300 AWD /Nav & Mark Levinson audio and 20K miles in absolutely mint condition. Instead of spending $53K in some Lexus showroom, I spent $35K at a lease-return auto broker. Even though I stupidly financed $25K of that deal (will never do that again) and paid a few thousand in interest, I still came out way ahead. Still have the car, now with about 88K on it, and people think it's new. No major mechanical issues, and I used the remainder of the warranty to deal with issues like dashboard rattles and every little picky annoyance I could find. Point is, in the long run, new cars just don't make financial sense.

ps- Your vehicle became used the minute you drove it off the lot.

I paid a $35 document fee and the $830 destination fee. I also expect to have the car for more than 10 years. I had over 125k miles on my 2005 Mazda Tribute that I sold privately when I bought my CX-5.

No, I would never spend more than $25k on a used vehicle. To be honest, I wouldn't pay more than $15k-20k for a used vehicle. No reason to - if I'm in the market for a used vehicle, it will be 3 years used and under 30k miles, and unless I'm buying a luxury car, it won't be more than $20k.

It made more financial sense for me to get a 0% loan on a new car than a 0.9-4% loan on a used car, ending up paying hundreds or thousands in interest, because I don't have $25k laying around and needed to finance anything I bought.

And yes, that is true that my car is now used, but it will take me roughly a year to clock 11k miles.

P.S. Lexus is just an expensive, fancy Toyota :)

Why does everyone start or measure their price negotiations with/against MSRP? It's easy to find out what the dealer invoice price is for the car and accessories/options. It's easier to start negotiating up from there (or just hold the line; dealer invoice is basically what I got my car for) than it is to negotiate down from MSRP... Make them justify why you should pay more rather than you justifying why you should pay less. They'll still make their money on holdback and other allowances.

Just my $0.02

Invoice on these cars is only ~1000 lower than MSRP. If you're happy with 1000 off MSRP that's fine, but it looks to me like some people on here are getting their cars (especially the higher trims) for quite a bit lower than invoice.

I paid a $35 document fee and the $830 destination fee. I also expect to have the car for more than 10 years. I had over 125k miles on my 2005 Mazda Tribute that I sold privately when I bought my CX-5.

No, I would never spend more than $25k on a used vehicle. To be honest, I wouldn't pay more than $15k-20k for a used vehicle. No reason to - if I'm in the market for a used vehicle, it will be 3 years used and under 30k miles, and unless I'm buying a luxury car, it won't be more than $20k.

It made more financial sense for me to get a 0% loan on a new car than a 0.9-4% loan on a used car, ending up paying hundreds or thousands in interest, because I don't have $25k laying around and needed to finance anything I bought.

And yes, that is true that my car is now used, but it will take me roughly a year to clock 11k miles.

P.S. Lexus is just an expensive, fancy Toyota :)

It depends on the Lexus, I hear people denigrate Lexus all the time like that. Here's the truth- An ES is a fancy Camry, an RX is a jacked up fancy Camry crossover, a GX is a fancy Land Cruiser Prado (J120) and the LX is a mildly restyled Land Cruiser.

The GS, and LS sedans do not have a rear/awd drive Toyota counterpart. They are built on bespoke chassis, and may share some minor components with their Toyota brethren. My point is saying you'd never pay more than $25K for a vehicle just because it was used (or CPO), is an arbitrary figure. You can realize tremendous savings on some really expensive cars if you take the time and look. I searched my GS for 5 months, and held out for the color I wanted. Only regret I have is not waiting for the 2007 GS 350 to become 2 years old. Another 50 hp for negligible mileage penalty would be sweet, but I was buying in '08, and 1 year old Lexus GSs were running in the low 40s. Too much $.

Buying a car is always just a way to lose money. The best you can do is mitigate your losses, buy purchasing slightly used models with a CPO warranty for cash after the maximum depreciation has been realized. I would have bought a 2013 CX-5 if I could have found one equipped with Tech/Bose-MoonRoof, even with the 2.0. My wife didn't care about the smaller engine. But, she did appreciate the Smart Brake Assist newly available on the 2014s, so we just went for it.

Last edited:
I'm amazed how much the GT ends up costing. It's like a whole different car from the Sport.

You do miss out on a lot of features with the sport model.

The difference is even more dramatic with the mazda 3.
MSRP on a stripped down sedan is $17,400, but a fully optioned out 3S hatch has an MSRP of $30,340!

I picked up the same at Dublin Mazda in white for $29000.

It depends on the Lexus, I hear people denigrate Lexus all the time like that. Here's the truth- An ES is a fancy Camry, an RX is a jacked up fancy Camry crossover, a GX is a fancy Land Cruiser Prado (J120) and the LX is a mildly restyled Land Cruiser.

The GS, and LS sedans do not have a rear/awd drive Toyota counterpart. They are built on bespoke chassis, and may share some minor components with their Toyota brethren. My point is saying you'd never pay more than $25K for a vehicle just because it was used (or CPO), is an arbitrary figure. You can realize tremendous savings on some really expensive cars if you take the time and look. I searched my GS for 5 months, and held out for the color I wanted. Only regret I have is not waiting for the 2007 GS 350 to become 2 years old. Another 50 hp for negligible mileage penalty would be sweet, but I was buying in '08, and 1 year old Lexus GSs were running in the low 40s. Too much $.

Buying a car is always just a way to lose money. The best you can do is mitigate your losses, buy purchasing slightly used models with a CPO warranty for cash after the maximum depreciation has been realized. I would have bought a 2013 CX-5 if I could have found one equipped with Tech/Bose-MoonRoof, even with the 2.0. My wife didn't care about the smaller engine. But, she did appreciate the Smart Brake Assist newly available on the 2014s, so we just went for it.

I suppose you and I just differ in that I will never spend that much money on a car. Much better to use that money for a house, something that doesn't depreciate over time, or other essentials. I just don't see the point in spending that much money on a car. The only exception I would make is if I struck gold (won the lottery) and I would buy a Range Rover (and thus could afford to gas it up)! But that is unlikely to happen, so I can safely say that no, I will never spend more than $30k on a car, probably $20k for a used car. I just don't think cars are worth that much - I don't WANT a really expensive car. That's silly to me.

Back