What did the CX-5 replace?

7e9f542f0fff06d1ae62baf930ebdfb3.jpg

I had a 2005 Mazda Tribute, which is what the CX-5 *actually* replaced for Mazda! It had just shy of 125,000 miles when I sold it to a friend (I know...but he still loves it and the car is in great shape still!) in September when I bought the CX-5. Here's both of them in the driveway, before my friend picked it up!

d0dd08114297d69d6bbeb61531264135.jpg

Loved that car! Drove it cross-country and back, twice, from VA to OR, down to CA and then back to VA. It replaced my 1996 Chevy Blazer, aka the love of my life. :D

You didn't happen to frequent maxima.org at all?

Haven't been there in years since I actually bought a 2011 BMW 328 4 years ago and gave the maxima to my son. He just got rid of it an bought a 2015 Mazda 3. I didn't have any oil consumption issues with the maxima but the engine mounts finally cracked and was becoming a maintance nightmare in the end for my son, coils, struts, tie rods etc. it was a great car. I gave my 2000 pathfinder to my other son so my wife and I needed a new SUV.

Wife traded in her 07 VW GTI for the CX-5. Wanted more practicality with a kid, house stuff, etc. The CX-5 was the closest vehicle in its class with similar handling characteristics. Could definitely use a little more pep but she still enjoys driving it. If they made a Mazda speed version it would be stellar.

I had my 2005 Mazda Tribute 6 cyc for 9.5 years with very few problems, but she was needing much more work that equalled the value so I got a great trade in for my 2015 CX-5 GT.

I had a 2010 Honda CRV LX 2WD before the 2015 CX-5. I didn't go with another CR-V because the Mazda offers superior performance, Handling, and fuel economy. The CX-5 is much more enjoyable to drive than my old CRV was.

Regards:
Oldengineer

Prolly the odd one out:
wKDY422.jpg

Citroen DS3 THP. Fast little bugger it was! Traded it for the CX-5 because it was kind'of a driver-license hazard ;).

2014 Mazda 6 i Grand Touring Snowflake White Pearl with almond leather. I will admit that I miss it sometimes.

Had a manual 2002 Mazda Protege 5 in bright yellow. I loved that car and still miss it. Had to let it go when it started to turn into a pile of rust, was becoming too unsafe for my taste and I needed something a bit bigger with a kid on the way. Couldn't be happier with my choice.

2005 Altima..........190,000 trouble free kms. Still looked and drove good but time for a change. Wife loves her CX5.

2003 Forester with 319,000 miles. I actually still own it, since there was not a lot of value to trading/selling it. Its now just a dog, garbage, landscape, tool hauler.

I am coming from a 07 Porsche Cayman S. I loved the car and it is the best handling and tactile sport car that I've owned. I vacillate between SUVs and sport cars every few years. I love the CX-5 though, and while it doesn't handle as well as the Porsche, it is more utilitarian and economical. I am impressed with the handling of the Mazda.

I traded in a 2003 Toyota Matrix with about 170,000 miles. It had a few recalls and TSBs, lots of little issues (including super annoying rattles every where), 2 catalytic converters, 3 intake manifold gaskets, new axle, new starter, and a transmission rebuild. I was glad to get rid of the POS. For the last 6 years or so I had to fix something every year to be able to pass emissions tests.

So far I really like the CX-5 a lot. It actually handles as good if not better than the matrix did (better if you take into consideration the traction/stability features). The only thing I don't like as much with the CX-5 is the gas mileage. I expect the gas mileage it will get better as I get used to driving it.

Back