what are the stock boost levels?

It's dynamic. It's different on every car. It will depend on the weather conditions (humidity, temp, altitude) and on the mods you have on the car (intake piping, intercooler eff. and exhaust piping changes will effect boost levels). Mazda's generic answer is 16psi. I believe that's what they list on their website anyway. SCC magazine also mentioned the boost levels in each gear in an old article from when this car was first intoduced... but I don't have it here with me. The best way to find out is to hook up a scan tool or datalogger that can monitor boost through the ECU and log some runs. You could also install a normal boost gauge, but then you need someone to watch it while you drive. Glancing at it while you drive doesn't tell the whole story. This car has some weird factory boost control.

Don't quote me on this, but I believe stock it's programmed for 9psi in 1st, 12psi in 2nd, and 15.6 in the remaining gears. Power also gets limited depending on steering angle, I have no idea how much.

From a Car and Driver Review:

As for the torque steer, Mazda knew it would be Oscar winning. So it wrote the engine-control software with a nuance that links the engine's output with steering-wheel angle. Boot it with the front wheels centered, and you get the whole can of Spam. If the helm is turned a few degrees left or right, the computer backs off the throttle a couple of percentage points to relax the sideways tug on the nose. This car also comes with Super LSD, which we were dismayed to learn is perfectly legal. It's the GKN-supplied mechanical limited-slip differential borrowed from the RX-8.

Back