What am I doing wrong?

lyonsroar

So whenever I start on my drive, the first 2 or 3 1-2 shifts are just awful. Not hard and stiff like when the tranny's cold in the winter, different. When I go 1-2, it seems like I shift and the RPM's drop really slow and then stop before where it wants to be in 2nd gear, so when I let the clutch out it thuncks down into 2nd gear. It very rarely does this 2-3 and almost never 3-4, only 1-2. After I've gone a mile or two and it's warmed up it's much less pronounced.

Is this rev hang? This is my first manual car so I don't know...

I've tried shifting earlier or dragging it out later, but it doesn't seem to help really...
Advice?

What RPM do you shift at? Try shifting at a higher RPM. When I'm putsing around town I usually shift at 3000RPM to 3500RPM.

It sounds like you are just lugging the engine.

I shift at about 3,000 usually. Sometimes earlier on the 1 to 2 shift. It doesn't matter what RPM I shift in with this it seems like. It's not lugging, it almost feels like I'm dropping the clutch, but I'm not.

Unfortunately I'm not much help. I'm on a POS ACT clutch that feels heavier than the stock clutch and rattles like a diesel at idle. The first to second shift in my car is also disgusting because it grinds so bad all the time.

In short, I don't have a great recollection of how these cars SHOULD feel.

has the trans fluid been changed...if not I would start there... esp when you mentioned that after it warms up it's less pronounced

So whenever I start on my drive, the first 2 or 3 1-2 shifts are just awful. Not hard and stiff like when the tranny's cold in the winter, different. When I go 1-2, it seems like I shift and the RPM's drop really slow and then stop before where it wants to be in 2nd gear, so when I let the clutch out it thuncks down into 2nd gear. It very rarely does this 2-3 and almost never 3-4, only 1-2. After I've gone a mile or two and it's warmed up it's much less pronounced.

Is this rev hang? This is my first manual car so I don't know...

I've tried shifting earlier or dragging it out later, but it doesn't seem to help really...
Advice?

Well first off, its "lion", not "lyon". Second, you're not doing anything wrong, mine does the same thing when I first start it up in the morning. hasn't been as bad now that the weather is really warming up. Yeah, changing the trans oil will help, but as far as doing damage or something being wrong with your car; not to worry.

Well first off, its "lion", not "lyon". Second, you're not doing anything wrong, mine does the same thing when I first start it up in the morning. hasn't been as bad now that the weather is really warming up. Yeah, changing the trans oil will help, but as far as doing damage or something being wrong with your car; not to worry.

Well that's good to know. I think I'll do the fluid change anyway, just because...

I used Royal Purple Max Gear and love it!! no more clunks, hard shifts .

I'll look into it. It seems like most people prefer the MotorCraft stuff.

yeah alot did go with motorcraft, I decided to be different and I'm VERY happy with the results. just FYI tho....stuff is costly.

Back