Weird Gap...Help

BoPro5

:
03.5 Protege5
i'm running Tokico Blues and MSP springs on my P5. I've got about 1'' gap between tire and fender in the back and 2 1/2'' in the front. Why such a big difference? It looks goofy to me. How should i fix it with out compromising a smooth ride?

uhh as far as i know. I took them to pep-boys and had them press the springs on to the struts. then just installed them as you would any other strut. whether pep-boys screwed something up i don't know.

This is a pretty popular setup. has anyone else had this problem on there p5?

oh yeah. i forgot. the msp springs i have heard of them sagging in the rear.. but not really that much. to my knowledge.

well thats stupid. the back actually sits really nice. fender just above the tire. can i lower the front to match the back with out compromising my ride. by which i mean cutting the springs.

cutting springs will def attack the integrity of the springs. make sure they're on properly. right side with the right strut. etc. go from there.

You guys know anyone getting rid of some springs that will be good for the P5.

Or any suggestions of what brand to get, i want performance but still comfortable with about a 2 inch drop or more.

Last edited:
2 inches is too much on regular springs. You'll compromise the suspension geometry which is no bueno.

I highly recommend the Eibach Pro-kit. It offers a perfect drop for the P5.

http://www.protegegarage.com/product_info.php?cPath=21_31_60_440&products_id=99

54a140a3.jpg

Remember the fender gaps are not symetrical front and rear. The front wheel openings cut higher into the imaginary centerline of the car viewed from the side. The door side mouldings and rocker panels on your car are still closer to the ground in the front than in the rear, so it still has the proper rake, with the rear slightly higher than the front. MSP/MP3/RB springs advertise a larger drop in back than in front, which I think helps eliminate the "stink bug" ass-high look of the sedan. It is true that the actual genuine MSP blue struts do have a slightly higher spring perch in the rear compared to the Tokiko Blues, but yours is a common setup and I think it looks sweet. My two cents

i get what your saying about the rake and thats cool but i'm low in the back high in the front. so my car kinda looks like those guys from Sport Truck that drag there back bumpers.

The MSP springs don't sag, it's that they're made for shocks with a different perch height. The standard Tokico Blues have a lower rear spring perch than the ones the MSP comes with.

Back