Water Wetter

BigDaddyMS3

:
Mazda, Speed3
During lunch hour at my latest track day at Thunderhill Raceway, Willows, CA. I took advantage of a discount dyno-jet run in one of the garages. Local area temperature was about 82 degrees farenheit. During my sessions, the HP and TQ would decrease between 1 to 2% per run. There was a one minute idle cool down for the turbo between runs. The mechanic suggested running water wetter for two reasons: 1) Don't use coolant at the track, Water Wetter and water only mix should be run in the radiator as coolant on the track is very hazardous, (slippery for my fellow drivers on track if I blow a hose or spring a leak). 2) I should notice cooler engine temps and cylinder head temps with this product and have minimal HP & TQ loss.

Anyone running either water/water wetter only mix or a coolant/water wetter mix on your local tracks with noticeable results?

Last edited:
On my integra at 310whp and 300wtq i'm using 20% coolant +80% water and a bottle of water wetter.

20% coolant is to prevent corrosion

I would recommend using either Engine Ice or Liquid Chill, both products are FAR more superior then water-wetter, their results are up to 15-20 degrees constantly but as much as 50 degrees less.

I never found water wetter to work very much. I never noticed a difference in temperature while I was on the track racing (I drive circle track). I wouldn't use water unless you plan on changing from water to antifreeze every time it gets cold out. Last thing you need is to crack the block.

On my integra at 310whp and 300wtq i'm using 20% coolant +80% water and a bottle of water wetter.

20% coolant is to prevent corrosion

I daily drive mine in winter snow and summer heat. I run the exact same as danspeed in the summer. The mixture is 50/50 in winter tho. Water cools way better than antifreeze. You must have something in there to keep it from corroding.

I would recommend using either Engine Ice or Liquid Chill, both products are FAR more superior then water-wetter, their results are up to 15-20 degrees constantly but as much as 50 degrees less.

I find this very hard to believe. Do you have supporting evidence other than the manufacturer to back it up?

Water is a better coolant, but it also has a lower boiling point which is 212 degrees Fahrenheit.

It all comes down to science. Water is more efficient in transferring it's heat off than anti-freeze. To make water more efficient with heat transfer you can decrease it's surface tension by making the water "wetter" Water Wetter also gives the rust and corrosion protection you wouldn't get by running straight water. Of course In any other colder climate than SoCal I would always want to run some kind of a anti-freeze mix with water.

By the way, water doesn't boil at 212F in a sealed pressurized cooling system. Boiling point is higher, around 250F+ , the # depends on a few different factors.

Here are some #'s to look at to see the science behind water's cooling ability (adding in Mercury and olive oil for comparative purposes only):

Thermal conductivity in W/m K (higher is better):
Mercury = 8.3
Water = 0.67
Glycol, Antifreeze = 0.25
Olive Oil = 0.17

Heat Capacity in kJ/kgK (Higher is better):
Water = 4.184
Glycol, Antifreeze = 2.38
Olive Oil = 1.97
Mercury = 0.14

So in a nutshell, Water is the best liquid for holding heat. Practically, it is also the best for transferring it.

Oh yeah... disclaimers:
Don't use Olive Oil for coolant and ALWAYS use distilled water, not garden hose water.

It all comes down to science. Water is more efficient in transferring it's heat off than anti-freeze. To make water more efficient with heat transfer you can decrease it's surface tension by making the water "wetter" Water Wetter also gives the rust and corrosion protection you wouldn't get by running straight water. Of course In any other colder climate than SoCal I would always want to run some kind of a anti-freeze mix with water.

By the way, water doesn't boil at 212F in a sealed pressurized cooling system. Boiling point is higher, around 250F+ , the # depends on a few different factors.

Here are some #'s to look at to see the science behind water's cooling ability (adding in Mercury and olive oil for comparative purposes only):

Thermal conductivity in W/m K (higher is better):
Mercury = 8.3
Water = 0.67
Glycol, Antifreeze = 0.25
Olive Oil = 0.17

Heat Capacity in kJ/kgK (Higher is better):
Water = 4.184
Glycol, Antifreeze = 2.38
Olive Oil = 1.97
Mercury = 0.14

So in a nutshell, Water is the best liquid for holding heat. Practically, it is also the best for transferring it.

Oh yeah... disclaimers:
Don't use Olive Oil for coolant and ALWAYS use distilled water, not garden hose water.

Hmmm, so mercury, and a high volume pump.......... next project for the mad hatter

i was thinking of Purple Ice too, though WW has done ok mine (fairly constant 10 drop degree usually).

Back