Wastegate stuck closed

ijestu

:
2018 Mazda3 GT
I had my MSP in for a CEL and was told that my wastegate is stuck closed and I need a new turbo. What are my options or what suggestions does anyone have. I have over 150k on the car and really don't want to be spending a ton or doing any upgrades. I just need it running and drivable. I was all ready to buy a new one but am finding that more difficult than I originally thought and I'm not sure what to think of getting a used one if I can even manage to pin one down. Plus I somehow need to balance cost with the length of downtime..... This car has not been so nice to me recently!

That would be awesome, but the mechanic was telling me that he couldn't budge the wastegate. I was wondering about it being the acutator as I'd seen mention of it on the forum and it's stock, but again he's telling me he can't budge the actual wastegate. He said he was trying to move it with a prybar and couldn't. Likely?

the only other thing I can think of is it being welded shut but then you would have to run an external wastegate

I can't imagine a way for the wastegate to mechanically fail and be stuck shut. get a relatively long flat blade screwdriver... you should be able to get it on the locknut which adjusts the length of the WGA rod.

Pushing on that should result in you moving the WGA. You're pushing against a spring so there should be resistance, but with moderate pressure it should move.

give that a shot and tell me what you find out. if it doesn't move, then at least your mechanic is right... but I doubt it honestly.

Also, do you have a boost gauge? what kind of readings are you getting?

if you need to work on the car, I'm a couple hours away, but I'd be willing to help.

I don't have a boost gauge. I'll see what I can find out about it tomorrow based on your suggestion if I don't go pick up the car today and check myself. I don't know that I have a clear enough mental picture of the mechanics of the wastegate to understand what he is prying on or how. He did say he had a call out to another mechanic that he thought was more turbo familiar, so that may help as well.

Thanks!

in a nutshell:

there is a spring in the wastegate that holds the flap closed. boost pressure pushes against that spring, and when you reach the calibrated level the boost pressure overcomes the spring which opens the wastegate.

LOL your mechanic rocks, oh stop listening to him by the way. If you can move the rod it's fine. The turbo is expensive and not needed unless it really has a mechanical issue. The actuator is a known issue on this car.

What exactly is the issue your having with the car, to much boost, no boost what is it?

This was all based on the CEL which I was going to get the code for, but of course forgot. I'm going to go in and he said he would show me what's going on. He is saying that he disconnected the actuator arm and still could not move the mechanism for the wastegate itself at all.

He was stating that there was too much boost, but I can't say whether this was a measured thing or just based on the position that the wastegate is stuck closed.

if the WG is stuck closed, there isnt anything limiting the boost, so yea you probably way overboosted lol good think your engine didnt mess up

ive never heard of the wastegate getting stuck shut, thats really weird
if you need a new exhaust side of the turbo with WG flap i have one ill sell you
you need 3 need studs for it though

something still sounds wrong here. wastegate flaps don't generally stick shut, so I'm guessing there is a simple solution somewhere here.

i know^

is the turbo actually off the car? maybe there is something blocking the wastegate?
i dont think thats very likely but..neither is the WG sticking lol

Nope, the turbo is still on the car.

I feel just about lucky enough lately to believe that the unlikely could be possible!

its probably going to take a lot of work to discover there is a very simple problem... theres next to no space down there to do anything. Honestly, I'm surprised he got the WGA rod off the arm with the turbo still on the car. replacing the WGA on my car without removing the mani took me a good 4-5 hrs.

Well I stopped by and had a look at what is going on. I don't know that it's so much that the wastegate is simply stuck. The shaft that goes into the turbo and connects to the valve is actually bent on the outside where it connects to the lever for the actuator.

Not that it makes anything better, but I know from some previous work that the turbo does have some play, so it's not like it was perfect to begin with.

Guess I'm looking into a replacement....

BTW, Thanks for all the help!!

Last edited:
um... if that is bent... your mechanic likely bent it, because there is nothing there to bend it on its own (and not enough force possible with the spring or boost pressure). that is completely different than having shaft play on the turbo...

I'm afraid for you right now.

Last edited:
sounds like ur mechanic ****** u over just buy a new wastegate from atp and ur good to go

I think I'm just running into this issue too - got a CEL this weekend -

P2006 Mod$10 1/1 Intake Manifold Runner Stuck Closed Control Bank 1

If I rev the engine up a bit, I actually don't hear the wastegate whistling like I usually do. Power seems normalish for the super hot weather we've been having.

Though, if the wastegate is activated by boost, that could point to boost getting lost somewhere - as luck would have it, I cracked the fitting on one of the turbo hoses when I was removing it to replace a motor mount about six months ago. My thinking is that if the boost is only sorta making it out through my hoopty patch, that could lead to similar trouble.

More details as they arise...

Back