washable oil filter???

It talks about how paper filters have a bypass after they get clogged. Does this one not have a bypass? When a filter gets clogged, letting dirty oil through is a helluva lot better than not letting ANY oil through. I wouldn't trust is without a bypass valve.

wow... no thanks. $5 a filter for regular filters vs. $150 for that filter. that's 30 oil changes. would you trust that filter after 20 oil changes? i'd rather stick to oem and know that i'm getting a brand new filter every time i change my oil and that any contaminants are discarded, not just washed away. washing leaves room for dirtiness to linger.

the by-pass is usually in the housing... we have those kind of filters on our marine gearboxes (read: transmission), NEVER in the engines... IIRC Cummins tried this on a four-engined vessel: two of those burned their cranks barely 30 minutes after leaving dock...

tonkabui said:
wow... no thanks. $5 a filter for regular filters vs. $150 for that filter. that's 30 oil changes. would you trust that filter after 20 oil changes? i'd rather stick to oem and know that i'm getting a brand new filter every time i change my oil and that any contaminants are discarded, not just washed away. washing leaves room for dirtiness to linger.

i agree here.....

even paying $10 for mobil 1 finters that is 15 changes.

i would rather have a new filter every time and screw the milage and HP gain????

The funniest part of this is they describe it as "environmentally friendly". Basically you are supposed to wash the engine oil down the drain? How is that friendly?

Back