Was this boost cut?

:
Cosmic Blue MS3
I was on the way home from a delightful dinner with my fiance's dad<sarcasm.
doing about 60 on the highway and noticed a 350z and wanted to catch up to see if he would play. Instead of downshifting, I just put my foot down in
5th, it kinda sounded like it wanted to go but didn't for a second, then finally went like normal. I figure it's about time for an ems, but just making sure that's what it was.

There's not really any turbo lag at all in the MS3, I really think it's just cause I was in too high a gear at to low an rpm to be flooring it.

3.5" top mount will take some time to build boost. If you are just cruising around with the throttle closed you are making around 22 in Hg vacuum. Go to floor it in any gear and it will take a moment to spool, build boost and give you the zoom zoom.

You can get a boost gauge for around $40 and install it fairly easily in this car. I like seeing what vacuum I am making, how boost builds, spikes and settles. Having one installed has changed my driving habbits quite a bit. I suggest you pick one up so you can see what is happening when you floor it.

The boost or fuel cut with those mods (I'm the same with no ic) should feel like falling on your face. Romp the gas and a big spike of go, then suddenly nothing at all, then a surge back up to power. It is more prevelant in cooler denser air but, mine has cut on hot days also. Sounds like you just experianced some lag. In anycase with the mods engine management would help.

that actually happens to me often enough if I am in 6th at 65mph and floor it sometimes it stumbles for a second and then it recovers and if you do the same again it wont do it. i think its the hamster in charge of the engine managment running back and forth between the throttle and the turbo he has a tendency to fall asleep every now and then.

While the hamster theory is certainly a plausible reason, I'd guess that the engine is going from its closed loop emissions and economy maps to the WOT, open loop map. This takes a tiny bit of time. Combine that with a bit of lag, and I think thats what you have.

I'm used to lag. Someone around here said it best as "foreplay"

Back