want navi, my options

trufanatic

:
2008 Red MS3
I like the stock radio and the factory look but i would like to get a decent navi in the car.

i was thinking about the factory screen replica plus this:
https://www.ebay.com (commissions earned)

If should i take out the factory radio and go with a pioneer double din touch screen unit, my only problem with that is i'd have to look down constantly to see the screen plus i'd loose the steering radio controls.

Any thoughts?

Dude you just posted this less than 24 hours ago...it's not exactly "operators standing by".

That box seems to be spec'd well, plenty of power and it has room for expansion.

save the headache and buy a TOM TOM or garmin GSP. it works just the same and you dont have to hardwire it into your car. just plug it in and go. then you can use it in any car. i have the TOM TOM one third edition. works great. i'm not a fan of the ginormous factory unit. thats why i didnt get it !

"tru-boost" made a good point.

The TomTom will go anywhere, and who knows if you want to sell your car in a year or so.

It is ALOT of work, and MONEY. Geez, your looking at almost $1000 just for a GPS.

Get the TomTom for $200 and book a flight to Europe for $800 to drive a Mazda3Speed on the Autobahn!!! That will make up for the built in GPS urge!!!! :)

"tru-boost" made a good point.

The TomTom will go anywhere, and who knows if you want to sell your car in a year or so.

It is ALOT of work, and MONEY. Geez, your looking at almost $1000 just for a GPS.

Get the TomTom for $200 and book a flight to Europe for $800 to drive a Mazda3Speed on the Autobahn!!! That will make up for the built in GPS urge!!!! :)

lol, i also like the phone feature but thats a hell of a point!

i was looking at this:
https://www.ebay.com (commissions earned)

does bluetooth, gps, xm and sirius, built in HD, ipod control and a slew of other things. i dont know how i feel taking out the factory head unit though.

Those are absolutely sick. If you install it correctly it can be an amazing thing, but the price is obviously enough to put you in the poor house.

Buddy of mine has one in his RSX and it is probably better than most factory systems.

+1 for the tom tom, garmin, etc......my thoughts when i bought the car was why pay 2 grand for something i can get for 500?

actually i found this same unit on ebay for 839 buy it now, so its not that bad..way better than the factory unit for over 2k. it does absolutely too much, my biggest thing was the bluetooth phone feature and the built in hard drive. Ever tried driving and scrolling thru ur ipod trying to find a song? i think its a bomb ass unit but maybe end of the year or something. i want my TMIC, DP and gt3071 for the summer.

LMAO but IMO i wouldn't buy any thing that had the name pyle lol i would think in the end its going to be called pyle of s*** but thats my .02

th the AVIC Z1 on my 3. Added the Bluetooth Option, a device to enable my steering wheel controls and bring back my Trip Computer (coming soon), and an upgraded HDD to give me more space for my music library and update the maps to the latest edition (2007), as well as enable all features of the Z2. Z1 is apparently made in Japan, Z2 in China. There have been some concerns that Z2 is not quite as stable as the Z2, but it could be a bunch of mumbo jumbo. The unit is also bypassed so the NAV controls work when moving. Z1 is a very easy bypass - simply grounding 2 wires.

Here is the install. The Bluetooth module and GPS antenna are underneath the dash behind the vents. Microphone is on the left windshield pillar. Sorry for the pic quality - camera phone

Interesting note - I bought the Metra wiring Harness and mounting kit from eBay (currently black - working on finding a silver one that matches the climate controls). Once I set up the harness and installed it in the kit -the acutal install of the deckl took less than 15 minutes. At that point it was up and running and I could use the audio and Nav. The rest of the bits took some time.
The AVIC Series use Tele-Atlas for Navagation. Not the greatest for US and Canada. The best part of the Z1 or Z2 is the HDD based Navagation. The D3 series uses a DVD-ROM that must be in the drive when you are programming or changing the route. I don't use the iPOD connector as I hate forgetting my iPod and having only Radio, or worse forgetting it in the car. Z1 can store up to 400 albums (with an upgraded 40Gb HDD.), but they must be ripped off of audio CD's (a pain if you only have MP3. It also plays Mp3 off of CD

If NAV is you primary concern - look at the Kenwood DNX-210EX (really hard to find) or the DNX5120. Both these units use the Garmin GPS System, using Navteq data. The 5120 adds DVD playback and a larger screen. Both can have bluetooth enabled. Both also use Text to Speech for road names. They play MP3's off CD, and the 5120 plays Divx and Mp3 off of DVD.

DNX-210EX
http://cgi.ebay.ca/Kenwood-DNX-210E...ryZ79834QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

DNX5120
http://cgi.ebay.ca/KENWOOD-DNX5120-...ryZ79834QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

All systems will get you where you are going - some just take you on a different route. Pioneer tends to nickel and dime you for every little bit (no remote even included), but they do include all of the wiring you will need to install.

There are also no name double din units on eBay with Bluetooth, DVD playback and tonnes of goodies (no text to speech though), but I have no idea of the quality of navagation, nor do I have an idea as to the quality and amount of updates. Alot of these devices have USB in as well - so you can store media on portable USB drives. I think the Kenwood 5120 may have that as well.

If you are going to install all of the pieces, be aware you will have to remove alot of the dash. The 3's use alot of clips, so you have to tug the panels to pull them off. A commplete install will require the lower dash on the drivers side to be removed, the instrument cluster (for the VSS wire), The centre top of the dash, the centre console (for the parking brake connection), and the old stereo. There is a reverse wire that is apparently needed if you have a reverse cam, and to tell the GPS the car is in reverse - but I didn't bother. If you start to add more modules (XM, Sirrius, CD Changers, IPOD) you will need to remove more to mount the devices. Also keep in mind the GPS antenna will work under the dash panel - but apparently not the SAT radio antennas.

All in, it was not too much work - and the cost was not huge. The unit had a lot of trouble tracking when first installed - but as it learns, it has been much better. Given the features it gives me, and what it would cost to add all of this to the stock unit, it was a great deal. I had a loaner Mazda6 with the stock GPS installe, and it seemed rather rudimentary in comparison to this unit.

Hope this helps - my first post here, and a long winded one at that.

Cheers

I love the looks of in-car nav, but the price and practicality of a portable one is just too much to ignore. I bought myself a Garmin nuvi 760, and love it! Doubles as a SD-Card MP3 player, too.

Latest posts

Back