wanna build a computer???

Micah

"built a computer to support a HD" - Yep, it was a good friday

This is to give people an idea of what building a machine is like. People who don't understand computers probably won't be able to follow it very well. That's my warning.

I bought two 250GB WD drives for use switching to a RAID 5 controller. The Raid 5 Controller I purchased is a Promise SX6000 with 128MB of cache(dimm). I also bought 2 more 120GB WD drives so that the RAID 5 controller will be used to it's full potential. So I put the 250GB drives in 2 of the 3 external drive cages I have, and Windows XP SP1 and Windows 2000 SP4 both had complaints.

So at that point I was looking at the following hardware scenario:

Machine 1: (amd2400xp, soyo dragon 333 ultra platinum, 1.5GB ddr266, GF FX5950, Audigy2, Pioneer DVR-106D, 60GB WD, 4x120GB WD, 80GB WD[in dual link external firewire/usb2 enclosure])
Four HD's (120GB WD) in Raid0 -fast but not safe.

Machine 2: (pIII850, some random MSI mobo, 512MB pc100, ATI AIW128Pro, SBLive 5.1, Samsung DVD/CDRW combo, 6GB Seagate, 80GB WD)

I try partitioning the 250GB drives into smaller chunks, I use usb2.0, I use firewire, I even used WD's Data Lifegaurd tools to do the installation as a last resort, I even considered hooking them up locally to the machine on an IDE channel, but decided against it since I know there is a 137GB barrier on the hardware.

Meanwhile I've got two 120GB drives, and the raid card just sitting there. I hate spending money on hardware I can't use. It's only happenned a few times that I bought stuff that either hardware didn't support, or power requirements weren't being met. In either case I always end up doing the same thing -- BUYING MORE HARDWARE!

So, I call up my friend at www.iccicorp.com, and he tells me to come down and we'll figure it out. A few dollars later, I am driving home with the following hardware:

Intel 865GBF Motherboard
Intel P4 2.8E (1mb cache) 800mhz FSB, HT
ATI Radeon 9800pro 128mb
Antec P160 Case (more about this later)
Antec Truepower 550 PSU
1GB DDR400 Dual Channel

I get home, and open the box for the case. It's amazing.
11-129-141-06.JPG

Lightweight, and really well made. This case cost me like $90 without a power supply. The motherboard tray is removable, and the case has nice thick plastic strips where the tray mounts to eliminate case vibration. HD's also are mounted using a combination of drive sleds with bottom mount screws isolated in rubber grommets. Optical drives mount tightly using rails. The case is incredibly well designed, all edges are rolled. I only cut myself once building this thing, and that was because I slipped while I was popping off a 5.25" sheet metal plate.

So I build the machine, put everything in. Then I realize that the Power Supply has a 24pin ATX header instead of the usual 20pin. I look on the box, and I've got a server class psu. I call ICCI, and he tells me to bring it back later. I'm an impatient geek who likes his toys now, not having a day off in several weeks also adding to my impatience.

Take a trip to Staples and look for a PSU, they don't have them. Go to Circuit City and pick up an ANTEC Truepower 430W cuz it's the biggest thing they have. I know the PSU is good, because it's running a ton of hardware in my AMD box. Go home, put the psu in the case, turn it on, and the fans spin up. No post! Board doesn't even make a beep. I start taking stuff off the board until it's just the cpu and the ram. Board still doesn't post. Hop on to www.intel.com to check the mobo compatibility, and it's 2 revisions off from supporting my P4-2.8E.

This is now thursday night. I've had the day off from work pretty much as a gift from my boss since we had some problems with hardware at work. I've got hardware I can't use, but I'm off for Good Friday. Tomorrow is another day.

Friday comes, I drive down to my friends garage, and we get my car to pass inspection after a short drive with a MODIS unit monitoring the codes until they all change to pass. Plug my car into the state inspection computer, and get my sticker. While I'm there I change the oil (400 miles early from the 3k mark) and rotate my tires. (see that, even put some car stuff in here).

I drive to ICCI, and get my new Motherboard. Return the 550W PSU, my friend offers to give me the money for it, but I tell him to hold on to it as a store credit for now, I'll use it to pick up a Dual Layer DVD burner when they come out in a few months.

Drive home and realize that I need to put this computer somewhere. The p3 that I'm replacing was my old video capture machine, but I stopped ripping vhs and only rip DVD's now, so I haven't really used it. The FX5950 in the Athlon has VIVO (video in video out) capabilities anyway, so I decide to give what's left of the p3 (cpu, mobo, ram, case, 6gb, nic, ati AIW128pro) to my brother so he and his fiancee can watch movies downloaded from bT ( www.suprnova.org ) on their tv. Stop off at staples again and find a nice small profile computer desk for $40. Pick up a nice set of Altec lansing speakers, keyboard, and a Logitech MX310 optical mouse(800dpi).

Build the desk, set everything up and drop a spare 17" CRT (cheapie AOC flat model). Load up the machine, drives are recognized. No dreaded "delayed write failed" error on the drives like was occuring on the other machines. Setup drivers, install software, run Aquamark and get a score of over 40,000.

If you read this far, I'm really impressed.

So yes, I am just as big of geek, because I read through it all:) Sounds like a sweet setup. I really need to upgrade mine, but Mods for the car come first. I also hate changing a system that works without any problems. :)

nice to see you avoid the "bleeding edge" too... too many people go for it...

Demonic-Speed said:
So yes, I am just as big of geek, because I read through it all:) Sounds like a sweet setup. I really need to upgrade mine, but Mods for the car come first. I also hate changing a system that works without any problems. :)
Holy Dead King of the Jews! Someone replied.

Yeah, I know the feeling. Really didn't need the 2nd machine, but it is quite sweet. I did mention that I built the machine because I needed hardware to support the larger HD's.

Just to make you Drool, here:

Machine 1: "Beast"
Inwin Full Tower Case
Antec TruePower430W PSU
AMD 2400XP
Soyo Dragon 333 Ultra Platinum Mobo
3x 512MB DDR266 Crucial (have to use the slower stuff for stability on that soyo)
Chaintech Geforce FX5950 ultra 256MB VIVO
Creative Audigy2
60GB WD
4x 120GB WD (two raid0 stripe sets)
Pioneer DVR-106D DVD BURNER
PS2 Joypad Adapter
ADS Dual Link Drive kit with 80GB WD inside, connected via firewire400
Cyber Acoustic 5.1 Speakers (cheap brand but they sound great once you turn the bass down)
17" Mag Innovision CRT(this thing is like 5 years old and still works great!)

Machine 2: (unnamed)
Antec P160 Case
Antec TruePower 430W PSU
Intel Pentium 4 2.8E (1mb cache)
Intel 865GBF Mobo
1GB Dual Channel DDR400
ATI Radeon 9800Pro 128MB
80GB WD
2x 250GB WD
Samsung SM-352 DVD/CDRW Combo Drive
Adaptec Firewire 3-port (PCI)
Nyko AirFlow Dual Analog Joypad
17" AOC PureFlat CRT(cheap pos)

Future plans call for buying a 19" LCD for the P4 box, so I can put the AOC 17" back on the athlon as a 2nd monitor. I've also got two more 120GB WD Drives and a Promise Raid 5 Card:
http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=16-102-006&depa=0

I'm in the process of moving the roughly 400GB from the athlon to the P4, so that I can break the dual raid0 stripes and install the RAID 5 array. Once that is complete I should be good for the rest of the year on storage.

(dance)

RyanJayG said:
nice to see you avoid the "bleeding edge" too... too many people go for it...
I always purchase at least 3 steps down the CPU ladder. I was going to use a 3.0E, but my friend was out of stock at the time. So I grabbed the 2.8E and saved some cash in the process. Not really a huge difference, only like $20 I think.

I do have a nasty habit of buying Top Level Video Cards however. My GF FX5950 was stickered at $499 the day it came out. Fortunately it was a gift from my friend at the computer store. I was driving down to pick up the FX5700 Ultra, and he gave me that instead.

lol i could make you guys drool over my computer then. let me just recap
ATI 128mb video card.
512mb of pc3200 ddr ram (yeah not a whole lot i know)
200gig HD
sound blaster live platium 2 sound card.
creative labs 6.1 surround sound (kinda weak)
samsung synvmaster 172 17" flat panel (yeah its not huge i know)
AMD 2800+
soyo dragon platinum mobo
and to top all that off it koolance water cooled... yeah boyyy

DSCF0089.JPG

believe me now?

i should get at least a gig of ram but i dont feel like throwing more money into this thing hehe

I need someone to build me a PC .. u guys know ur s***.

Im running a Sony Vaio:

2.8 ghz
1 gig pc2100 ram
530 mhz fsb
mx440 graphics card
built in sound card
120 gig hd

yea i need a powerhouse -- ON the bleeding edge ;)

Pe@ce

i built this " beast " about 1.5 years ago. all my money now goes to my car.

P4 2.6c @ 3.03ghz | 933fsb
Abit IS7-E
Thermalright SLK-900u Heatsink
Artic Silver Ceramique
Thermaltake Smartcase Fan / 90mm
450w PSU
ATI Brand 9800 Pro 128mb
256mb x 4 = 1 Gig - Geil Ultra Platinum 3200 | 2-3-3-7 timings | 5:4 ratio
160gig Seagate 7200rpm
40gig WD 5400rpm (download drive)
Aopen 4x4x40 DVD-R/RW/CD-R/RW
A Semi nice alluminam case from Fry's Electronics
And lastly, 4 90mm fan's.

dscf0028.jpg

cpu-overclock.jpg

3DMark 2003 Score

3dmarkscore-stockspeed.jpg

Last edited:
hehe pc3200 ram is wheres its at. i had 768mb of ram in my last computer (a 512 stick and a 256 stick) and its no where near the 512mb of pc3200 that i have now. i was amazed...

oh lord we have gone to listing every mod in the computer hehe. i refuse to list my fans and cables and s***... nerds haha jk

although my antec trueblue powersupply is something to be spoken of... www.frozencpu.com look it up on there. my next upgrades will be a new motherboard processor, and more ram

i wish i had my digital camera right now so you could see the water lines glowing lime green running through the neon blue lighting from my power supply. its sinister looking to say the least

lmao. i will take your word on that hehe. i have had people just stare in amazement at my computer and to me its not as great as it should be but it definatly looks bad as **** and its not slow. i cant wait until the T3 connection hits it when i move to atlanta W00T!@#$

Hehe... That's not geeky. =) This is geeky! These are my two machines that I use at home right now, besides my laptop. A Sun UltraSparc 10 and a SparcStation 5. ;)

Attachments

• us10.jpg
    us10.jpg
    37.6 KB · Views: 2,169
Hell yeah!! Sun Stations!! I was in the process of building one a couple of years ago (after doing some Sys Admin training at SUN), and then my interest in cars just ramped up...there went computers.. LOL! I was just at Veritas last week for some more training on NetBackup. (thumb)

Nice! =) I'm a sysadmin for an AIDS/Cancer Research devision of Harvard Medical, and all the statistical machines are Suns... The terminal servers are running Linux, and the newer statistical machines are PC-based 2U racks, running FreeBSD. =) Not a hint of Windows in the whole office, thank goodness. ;) I'm actually looking to get rid of one of my US10's, as it's got a dead Mobo, and the service contract through the old owner had expired, so it was just spare parts for me, really. But I didn't end up gutting it at all.

The SS5, though, has been running for a good, long while, and still hasn't given up a single piece of hardware. =)

Same thing happened to me, though; Along came cars, and computers became boring. ;)

Minus said:
oh lord we have gone to listing every mod in the computer hehe. i refuse to list my fans and cables and s***... nerds haha jk

although my antec trueblue powersupply is something to be spoken of... www.frozencpu.com look it up on there. my next upgrades will be a new motherboard processor, and more ram
the smartblue sux a proverbial nut though

Back