vtcs screw goodness

How much work is invloved in doing this...so as to prevent any probs. I've never ripped apart an intake manifold before and am wondering if its a real undertaking. i wonder if there is a how-to.

Thanks scorch.that had some good info but i'd really need a step by step for intake removal so as not to **** things up.

If it isn't raining this weekend I plan on doing an intake manifold removal write-up. Just wait...

because everyone has the manual (rollseyes) i know that not a smiley but :p i have the manual, for both cars, but not everyone wants to shell 100+ for a fsm.

umm, protege5.ugly.net, if that one doesn't work, I have it up at floptical.net/protege5/

I should get around to putting up the wiring and stuff as html, so people don't have to grab the whole zip file all the time!

silver03p5 said:
my vtcs screw fell out on wednesday. so malloy mazda in woodbridge va fixed her up. new head and intake mani for me! all is well now :) if you have an injen intake, and you hear what sounds to be the cruise control selenoid rattling, but louder, its actually probably your vtcs screw, so be careful

how should one know how that sounds

Umm, aren't we talking about the screws on the vics (variable intake control system) butterflies, not vtcs (variable tumble control system)???

Mazdamia said:
If it isn't raining this weekend I plan on doing an intake manifold removal write-up. Just wait...
IIRC, NSN motorsports did a pretty good write up on this for the thermal spacers they made. I used that and I think there was another set of instructions somehwere when I did mine.
Probably somewhere in this thread:
http://www.msprotege.com/forum/showthread.php?t=81080&highlight=modifications
or this one:
http://www.msprotege.com/forum/showthread.php?t=82884&highlight=intake+manifold

toucci said:
Umm, aren't we talking about the screws on the vics (variable intake control system) butterflies, not vtcs (variable tumble control system)???
no. they both have butterflies. they both have screws. vtcs is the one that the screws fall out of

auuugh, so that means mine's gonna have a problem? sticker in door frame says 07/02, but everything about the car (including paperwork) says it's an '03

Guys just so you know, the sound that you hear is horrible. It is very loud and distinguishable. It sounds liek a machien gun in your engine bay.

keleko said:
auuugh, so that means mine's gonna have a problem? sticker in door frame says 07/02, but everything about the car (including paperwork) says it's an '03

thats because cars are made prior to the actual year. why do you think 06 models come out in sept of 05. all companies do it.

your ok. mine wasnt made until 5/03
keleko said:

silver03p5 said:
because everyone has the manual (rollseyes) i know that not a smiley but :p i have the manual, for both cars, but not everyone wants to shell 100+ for a fsm.
someone was selling cd's of the manual in an acrobat file on ebay for like 10 bucks. in case anyone cares to look for it.

mogi said:
umm, protege5.ugly.net, if that one doesn't work, I have it up at floptical.net/protege5/

I should get around to putting up the wiring and stuff as html, so people don't have to grab the whole zip file all the time!

AWESOME AWESOME AWESOME!!! I might get in trouble for printing all of these, but holly crap, this is great!

Back