Vta

special--k

:
Mazdaspeed Protege
I know that the MS3 is MAF controlled, so there must be some problems with VTA.

Im wondering if anyone out there does it, and if they could let me know what the draw backs are.

Many threads here on the subject.

My view is that we are MAF controlled and as such VTA is not a good option, so I have not considered it on this engine.

Pig rich AFR's to begin with become worse, drivability issues arise. Fuel will be dumped into the engine without the corresponding correctly metered air, some of which has been farted to atmosphere. The ECU would be constantly trying to adjust and would not getting it right. Some say this eventually results in a detuning of the engine and a reduction in power as well as the drivability issues. I don't think there is an effective way to tune around this.

Theoretically, you could go VTA and have correctly metered air by moving the MAF sensor to the the boosted side so that you end up with a pressurized blow through sensor. I would guess this would be both difficult and expensive way just to run VTA with no discernable increase in power and might not be justified unless you want to highly mod the car with really big turbo, with higher flow intake and exhaust manifolds, custom piping and custom tuning. That's just my view.

Last edited:
Thanks man, the is pretty much exactly what i thought. I was hoping there was going to be an eazy way to relocate the MAF... but it sounds like no one has tried it?

Oh yes, it has been tried and successfully too. You can do just about anything with enough time and money. You can go over to the "other board" the one with speed in its name and read one or more threads there about this.

Lots of work and lots of money to get you there and for what? Air farting without screwing up your AFR's?

Unless you plan to run a fully bolted and built engine with much higher hp (400whp range) I don't see how there would be any benefit to offset all of that extra fabrication, cost and time.

Just one opinion.

I agree, I reloacted my MAF on the MSP. It cost me under 100$ all in and was very simple to do. If we were talking about the same procedure i would consider it. I love the sound of a BOV is VTA. Im not sure why, and i dont care much about the performance loss. We are only talking about 1-2HP... nothing noticable.

I will read some more threads and see if its a road i might venture down. But from the way you make it sound i think i will have to live with the silence.

Back