VTA or Recirc

MSAxela

:
2007, Black MS3
I know the differences between the two types of ways to run a BOV but what is working best on these cars so far? With a VTA is anyone having the motor stall out on them? And with the recirc is it not giving any kind of trouble and was it easy to set up to recirc? I just got my MS3 like 4 days ago and am planning on working on it soon so I just wondered. I had a 2004 Mazda 3 before I got the Speed so I know the car a bit. Also wondered anyone running a VTA if your not having stalling trouble and all that is the car running even more rich? And any sign of CEL's? I know most cars will run rich with a VTA setup. Thanks ahead of time for all who can respond.

Micah said:
read this : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blowoff_valve

Plain and simple, MAF+BOV is bad because of the pig rich condition which the BOV causes. If you want a BOV, convert to MAP. Why do you want a BOV? A BOV and BPV both serve the SAME FUNCTION.

yeah but one makes others think your car is fast, the other just quietly does it's job (idhitit)

I run a bov + maf.. but my maf is right before my throttle body so I'm not venting metered air at all. I only did it because it was simpler than building a bpv setup

interesting, now have you compared your A/F readings with a BPV and with the Blowthrough MAF? From what I have heard, even with a blow-through setup the MAF is not calibrated properly to read compressed air.

it seems to handle it just fine, or as well as an unflashed mazdaspeed protege ECU would (rich all the time).

That being said, I don't think a MAF relocation is doable with the way the intercooler piping or lack thereof is on the MS3.

not saying I am going to do it for sure I am looking at my options to see what works and how each item works. VTA seems like its just more trouble than its worth, but I was really curious how these cars are running with this setup and in comparison how they run recirc setup. Also like I said I was curious on how hard it was to set up the recirc on the car what extra parts do you need aside from all you can get with a BOV kit.

MSAxela said:
I know the differences between the two types of ways to run a BOV but what is working best on these cars so far? With a VTA is anyone having the motor stall out on them? And with the recirc is it not giving any kind of trouble and was it easy to set up to recirc? I just got my MS3 like 4 days ago and am planning on working on it soon so I just wondered. I had a 2004 Mazda 3 before I got the Speed so I know the car a bit. Also wondered anyone running a VTA if your not having stalling trouble and all that is the car running even more rich? And any sign of CEL's? I know most cars will run rich with a VTA setup. Thanks ahead of time for all who can respond.

I just got a HKS, I was planning on running recirc but I talked to a few people with MS6s and a couple MS3 owners and they said that they havent had any major issues. So now Im going to hook it up VTA and see how it is, if theres any problems ill just buy the recirc adapter. You could do the same, just to see if you like it and if there are any issues, it wont hurt anything so you might as well try it out! I would tell you myself but I havent got a flange yet :(

2497424_33_full.jpg

voiceKoil said:
I just got a HKS, I was planning on running recirc but I talked to a few people with MS6s and a couple MS3 owners and they said that they havent had any major issues. So now Im going to hook it up VTA and see how it is, if theres any problems ill just buy the recirc adapter. You could do the same, just to see if you like it and if there are any issues, it wont hurt anything so you might as well try it out! I would tell you myself but I havent got a flange yet :(

I am looking at the HKS one but I might get the Greddy RS instead I know people using those on other cars and they like them alot better. I'm still researching all the kits and other stuff so we will see in time.

MSAxela said:
I am looking at the HKS one but I might get the Greddy RS instead I know people using those on other cars and they like them alot better. I'm still researching all the kits and other stuff so we will see in time.

I would look into anything that catches your interest. My girlfriend actually got mine for me, with her brothers help, so thats what I ended up with which is what I would have picked anyway, but had no choice. I have a few friends that change their BOVs once or twice a year, they get sick of certain sounds, so remember which everone you get you can always swap out later on. Goodluck with the decision and dont forget to post pics!!!

Get a dual port set up with VTA and the recirc. Low boost it recirc's and high boost it does both. So you get a happy in between everytime. Turbosmart and there is another out there that has this option. It will be what we run on our FMIC for the MS3 set up.

Yeah I forgot the HKS SSQV has a recirc insert. It's easy to swap out the inserts on the SSQV so that would be a pretty quick fix if you did have problems (which.. even if you don't, it still isn't a good thing to vent metered air. At the very least, you'll run richer and maybe get noticeably worse gas mileage). The only reason I see to upgrade to the HKS is if the stock BPV leaks at higher boost levels. It's a pull-type BOV so it can hold up to pressure well.

Kansei said:
Yeah I forgot the HKS SSQV has a recirc insert. It's easy to swap out the inserts on the SSQV so that would be a pretty quick fix if you did have problems (which.. even if you don't, it still isn't a good thing to vent metered air. At the very least, you'll run richer and maybe get noticeably worse gas mileage). The only reason I see to upgrade to the HKS is if the stock BPV leaks at higher boost levels. It's a pull-type BOV so it can hold up to pressure well.

I would only really be getting an aftermarket BOV if the stock one starts to really bother me or just sucks overall and I get annoyed with it. The Greddy RS can be run Recirc as well and I this that is the route I'll go. I was mostly just curious how the ones everyone has so far out and in their cars are running. No problems it seems overall, and alot of people are enjoying their new found sounds. Thanks everyone for posting and if anyone else has some more useful information or just wants to comment please do, the more the better.

TurboXS has their hybrid which runs both vta and recirc,I haven't had any problems so far with it. Sounds nice and isn't too annoying

matsuda said:
Q: VTA or Recirc
A: Recirc

Any more questions?
i saw a post on this site that showed 2 charts of a mazdaspeed6 running vta and then recirc ona dyno. the chart showed a loss in power when running the vta......im not sure if its true or not but when i get tax returni wil buy the hks ssq and probably run it recirc jsut because i read posts on here about how the car was tuned for recirc...someone tell me if im wrong......

Yup, it's a MAF car, it was tuned for recirc. When I get new intercooler pipes and a new intake fabbed for my car I'll probably recirc my HKS SSQV and put my MAF back where it is meant to be.

Kansei said:
Yup, it's a MAF car, it was tuned for recirc. When I get new intercooler pipes and a new intake fabbed for my car I'll probably recirc my HKS SSQV and put my MAF back where it is meant to be.
whats maf

Back