Voltage too high?

thecrash91

:
2003.5 Mazdaspeed Protege
Hey All!
Just recently had a new problem with the MSP, while driving my turbo timer constantly beeps at me! i have the turbo timer set to double over as a voltage meter as well, and everytime it beeps the voltage is reading 14.7-14.8 i dont think ive seen it go over 14.9 ever, but i read that anything over 14.6 is bad. Isnt the alternator regulated by the ECU in our cars??? only CEL i have is p0172 which i believe is caused by a slight boost leak. what do you guys think? it literally beeps about 2-5 times per minute, so the voltage is spiking between 14.3 all the way to 14.8 constantly.

Im not positive but i think your okay. I wish mine was a tad higher mine gets to 13 then drops to 10 or high nines when the fans kick on then the alternator catches up.

it started beeping literally every second im driving, this is getting real annoying, you sure this isnt something to be alarmed about? the TT sure thinks so. i dont really want to drive with the TT off, so any input would be great!

Your voltage is fine. 16 volts i would be worried. Your turbo timer (if it's similar to my own HKS)has parameters that are programmable, in other words you can set the number that the alarm goes off. I would try and find the instruction booklet!

Nice...glad i could help. I would set the low voltage alarm to about 12 ish and the high voltage alarm to 16 or higher

14 volts is the maximum for a vehicle. The battery if subjected to greater voltages than this, would start to overheat. Volt-meters need to be calibrated against a known reliable meter,..so you know the indication is accurate.

Once the system volts go high, things like headlights start to blow. It used to be, that 13.8 volts was the nominal upper limit,..but I've noticed they now allow 14volts from alternators.

Back