Voltage clamp mixup?!?!

funktownp5

:
02 Mazda P5 Turbo
I was checking all of my wiring beacuse i couldn't get the car to get enough

fuel that i was needing, so i pulled out all of the installation instructions as

well on the web. Turns out that i have been running my O2 voltage clamp

backwards for 3 YEARS!! At first i thought this would just me reading the

directions wrong, but when i looked at the original insallation sure enough it

was right, but on the "Flyin Miata" site it was totally opposite for the Miata as

well as the Protege. So today i switched the wires and after the first boost

attempt i get a flashing CEL, i guess the ECU doesnt like this. I am going to

reset the ECU and check the voltage of the clamp and see if it gets any

better.

I contacted Flyin Miata and they told that they changed the voltage clamp

several times, and that i would have to check the clamp with a volt meter.

The clamp that i have is the older old and uses the yellow wires as the

clamp and the newer ones i am guessing use the blue wire as the clamp.

supposely, i'm using the essentialspeed clamp which i believe is just a copy of the FM clamp

i dunno tho

I don't know anything about this voltage clamp, but I'll ask here if anyone has tried putting a relay in the O2 input and using the emanage auxiliary output to close it and make the PCM go open loop, allowing the em to do it's job. Cost me $5 and works great.

Like I said, I don't know anything about this voltage clamp, but I assume it's to allow a piggyback to alter the fuelling?

In my Australian car, which has an OBDI (I think) PCM made by Mitsubishi, you can just cut the wire from the O2S and it just goes permanently open loop with no CEL(in fact, I've messed with all sorts of stuff and never got a CEL). This allows the EM2 to do it's thing without fighting the PCM's closed loop. To get some PCM closed loop control, I installed a small $5 relay from an electronics store. The O2S is connected through the normally open so that if it fails, the PCM just goes open loop, not affecting the parts of the map that were tuned(for mine at present 50% TPS, will change that once boosted), and run rich where it would normally be closed loop. The relay is powered by the EM2's auxiliary output (which has a 16x16 map) and grounded anywhere convenient.

This probably won't work with the OBDII computers though. I think you guy's have 2 O2S as well?

Ok, i have figured out what was the problem with the flashing CEL. It was the

1.8 coil packs that were making me misfire up top. I installed the stock coils

and ran it through the gears about 5-6 times with no misfire. My car has

been down for about the 2 weeks due to a broken tranny(on my 3rd (first)),

so i havent been really messing with it until latley.

Latest posts

Back