Volkswagen Ordered To Recall 500K Vehicles Over Its Own Malicious Programming

Now is the time for Mazda to pop in and take over the diesel market.

I think they're having the difficulties that everyone aside from VW did - making it perform well while keeping the cost down - and still meet emissions standards.

Yes, if they are doing their jobs, that's exactly what they would do. It's a fairly straight-forward legal case.

This also leaves a whole bunch of VW purchasers with very valid monetary claims against VW.

My best guess is that torque will be reduced considerably and efficiency will take a small hit.

I believe that states that currently follow the CARB standards won't renew the registration of a car unless it has 'proof of correction' for an emissions recall. That may well roll out nationally over the next few years too.

Mazda's slogan for the skyactivD in the U.S.

"Live, Breathe, Drive. Driving Matters"

Queu red skyactivD-equipped Mazda6 driving through green pastures with clear blue sky in the background.

Whatever a new TDI A3 costs, that should be the penalty for EVERY car that was sold. If not, they're still making money off of this scandal.

How much money did VW/Audi dump into diesel technology? How many times did the R10 win at Lemans? How many 30,000 dollar cars were sold illegally?
How ****** are they now with all those millions of dollars thrown into something that's pretty much worthless?

No Profit.

Whatever a new TDI A3 costs, that should be the penalty for EVERY car that was sold. If not, they're still making money off of this scandal.

How much money did VW/Audi dump into diesel technology? How many times did the R10 win at Lemans? How many 30,000 dollar cars were sold illegally?
How ****** are they now with all those millions of dollars thrown into something that's pretty much worthless?

No Profit.

I can see tree huggers out of the wood works getting irate over the tons of paper (ads, manual, ect.) used for their "clean diesel" slogan being wasted.

"Stop sale" on used and new VW TDi's in 2009-2015 range. Shareholder wealth (VW) being destroyed today. Cheating by VW is now being investigated in other countries (European). Criminal charges being considered. Whole thing stinks for VW, the fines will only be a part of the total cost to company.

I wonder why the VW Toureg isn't named as one of the affected vehicles? (dunno)

I wonder why the VW Toureg isn't named as one of the affected vehicles? (dunno)

VW's "higher" models are equipped with the necessary hardware (like an urea bases solution/tank) to make them "clean". On the cheaper models such as their very popular Golf models, they excluded such hardware as to keep costs down. In short they cut corners for profits and to cheat the EPA at the expense of the our
environment.

http://jalopnik.com/your-guide-to-dieselgate-volkswagens-diesel-cheating-c-1731857018

Last edited:
VW's "higher" models are equipped with the necessary hardware (like an urea bases solution/tank) to make them "clean". On the cheaper models such as their very popular Golf models, they excluded such hardware as to keep costs down. In short they cut corners for profits and to cheat the EPA at the expense of the our
environment.

http://jalopnik.com/your-guide-to-dieselgate-volkswagens-diesel-cheating-c-1731857018

Another interesting thing about this is that most every other car manufacturer working on diesels had to be somewhat aware. VW sells cheap diesels that somehow meet standards and performs well - every maker would all buy a TDI just to tear it apart, put it through a battery of tests and figure it out, then create their own variant or maybe just cross-license the tech (which is pretty common).

Yes, somebody ought to go to jail for this if it's proven that they knew. A truckload of money has been taken apparently deliberately and under false pretenses. Throw the book at them.

environment.

In the grand scheme of things, how is that any different from global corporations who choose to manufacture items in countries where:
-labour is cheap
-environmental laws are weak or non-existent

Just because the pollution is occurring on another continent, there is no wall/barrier that will prevent it from affecting us.

Yes, somebody ought to go to jail for this if it's proven that they knew. A truckload of money has been taken apparently deliberately and under false pretenses. Throw the book at them.

yeah right....recall the mortgage meltdown in the USA back in 2008 and the "banks" involved in that fiasco?

Why is everyone's first response always "someone should go to jail for this?" What does that do; how does that fix the problem? I find it interesting people are up-in-arms over emissions. I'm not condoning VW's actions but how many of us purchase cars based on their emissions ratings? Unless I'm purchasing a hybrid or electric car I'm more concerned with horsepower/torque, fuel economy, and price when it comes to the car's engine. In my opinion the 2.0L TDI is still the best compromise in that respect and I'll be keeping mine. If the speculated recall really does hurt performance and/or fuel economy I'll just erase it with an APR tune...

Volkswagen Sets Aside $7.3 Billion Over Emissions Scandal

"some 11 million of its diesel vehicles worldwide were fitted with software at the center of a U.S. emissions scandal."

"In the wake of its statement, VW's share price was down another 18.7 percent at 108.75 euros and near a four-year low. The fall comes on top of Monday's hefty 17 percent decline and means the company has lost an eye-watering 25 billion euros or so in just two days of frenzied trading."

Why is everyone's first response always "someone should go to jail for this?" What does that do; how does that fix the problem? I find it interesting people are up-in-arms over emissions. I'm not condoning VW's actions but how many of us purchase cars based on their emissions ratings? Unless I'm purchasing a hybrid or electric car I'm more concerned with horsepower/torque, fuel economy, and price when it comes to the car's engine. In my opinion the 2.0L TDI is still the best compromise in that respect and I'll be keeping mine. If the speculated recall really does hurt performance and/or fuel economy I'll just erase it with an APR tune...

Many people cross-shop hybrids and the TDI for the fuel mileage. The TDI was often the winner because it drove better, and VW's CleanDiesel marketing made it seem like it was an environmentally friendly choice. No doubt their research told them that these cross-shoppers were also concerned about that. To see this would be very upsetting:

"In the lab, the two VWs performed flawlessly. But when they were taken out on the roads in California, they were belching out levels of nitrogen oxide that were 30 to 40 times higher than the regulatory standards. Even the heavy-duty trucks the researchers had tested had never performed that poorly by comparison": http://www.nytimes.com/2015/09/22/business/it-took-epa-pressure-to-get-vw-to-admit-fault.html

In the grand scheme of things, how is that any different from global corporations who choose to manufacture items in countries where:
-labour is cheap
-environmental laws are weak or non-existent

Just because the pollution is occurring on another continent, there is no wall/barrier that will prevent it from affecting us.

You have a point. A company CAN legally have such plants elsewhere. The laws in countries such as India and China currently are not as tough and enforced as compared to the U.S. Have you been to China lately lol? Dude check out their smog, it makes LA look like the inside of a hospital nursery. One thing about smog is it travels to neighboring pissed off countries but most of it lingers within its city sources. China will have no choice but to be on board with the program otherwise things will get worse. The stand starts with the U.S. and everybody follows our lead.

Pollution-at-Tiananmen-Square-Beijing.jpg

DSC_3862.jpg

Last edited:
EPA Expands Emissions Investigation to Volkswagen 3.0-Liter V6 Diesels

"Until now, the EPA’s investigation into NOx emissions has centered around Volkswagen’s four-cylinder diesel engines equipped in the Jetta, Golf, Golf/Jetta SportWagen, Beetle Coupe/Convertible, Passat and Audi A3. The EPA is now investigating the larger 3.0-liter diesel, used by Volkswagen, Audi, and Porsche, to see if it is compliant or affected by the same “defeat device”, says David Shepardson of the Detroit News.

The larger diesel mill is used in the Touareg, Audi A6/A7/A8/Q7, and Porsche Cayenne"

Many other car makers tried to sell diesels in US (toyota, honda, mazda) but failed tests. The US air quality is far better than is was in 1970 due to emission tests. Why should VW be given a free pass to pollute our air? They brazenly broke the law and should be severely penalized. If they can't get these cars to pass the emissions test AND run satisfactorily on the road, they should be crushed, all 500,000 of them, at VWs expense.

Back