Viper SmartStart remote system for iPhone

IslandTractor

:
2010 CX9 GT Silver/Blk
I just had a Viper remote system installed with SmartStart. Allows you to start, stop, lock, unlock and open/close rear hatch from your iPhone using a free Viper app anywhere you and the car have phone service. Works fine. Costs about $300 on top of a basic remote start and has a $99/three year service fee (for the cellular account in the car).

Works just as advertised. Check out the Viper or SmartStart webpage for a YouTube video. System confirms that car received the command. Also links to the alarm system and alerts you via iphone if the alarm has been triggered. Just as with the Mazda factory system, the car shuts off when you touch the brake pedal after entering the vehicle. Heat, A/C and seat warmers start up just as you left them set.

Only odd thing so far relates to the open/close of the rear hatch. While lock and unlock of the car requires selecting either the lock or unlock button on the iphone app, the hatch opening and closing is done by sequential activation of the same button. That could be a problem if you cannot see the hatch (why else would you bother using the phone to open it) as you can possibly lose track of whether you left the hatch open or not. Maybe there will be a fix but I suspect it is a limitation on the Mazda remote side (the SmartStart just mimicks key operations) as there is only one button to open and close the rear hatch on the factory key fob. It is hardly a deal killer as I cannot think of too many times I'd want to remotely open the hatch (having a buddy deliver or pick up something at your car might be one example though).

Still, it is a nice system. I like it primarily because it means I don't need to carry a separate remote key fob and don't need to be concerned about whether I am in range or not. Hard to say the extra cost is clearly worth it over carrying another fob but iphone or other smartphone users might consider it if you are getting an aftermarket remote.

Last edited:
Back