VIN Tag oddity

rcs914

:
2014 CX-5 GT w/Tech - Meteor Grey
So when I was registering my car on the MyMazda App the other day it mentioned scanning the bar code on the VIN tag. Well I wasn't able to get the camera to read it properly, but what I noticed while looking at it is that the Gross vehicular weight, and the car type seem to be wrong. The weight is listed as 4381lbs and the type is "MPV". I am sorry for the fuzziness on the below picture - I should have turned on the flash. Any thoughts about this? What do others have listed on their tags?

Vin%20Tag.jpg

So what's the mystery? Wikipedia defines GVW as: "The gross vehicle weight rating (GVWR), or gross vehicle mass (GVM) is the maximum operating weight/mass of a vehicle as specified by the manufacturer[1] including the vehicle's chassis, body, engine, engine fluids, fuel, accessories, driver, passengers and cargo but excluding that of any trailers." and MPV no doubt stands for multi-purpose vehicle. Makes sense to me.

So what's the mystery? Wikipedia defines GVW as: "The gross vehicle weight rating (GVWR), or gross vehicle mass (GVM) is the maximum operating weight/mass of a vehicle as specified by the manufacturer[1] including the vehicle's chassis, body, engine, engine fluids, fuel, accessories, driver, passengers and cargo but excluding that of any trailers." and MPV no doubt stands for multi-purpose vehicle. Makes sense to me.

It sounds suspicious because Mazda had a minivan called the MPV. It's no longer sold in the US. Although in this case, the VIN tag is probably not referring the actual Mazda MPV model.

It sounds suspicious because Mazda had a minivan called the MPV. It's no longer sold in the US. Although in this case, the VIN tag is probably not referring the actual Mazda MPV model.

Exactly what I was wondering - and I suppose if I had googled what the GVWR meant, I would have realized that. So the moral of the story is don't try to load up 4 350lb people, or you will exceed the GVRW since the car weighs what 3300lbs itself? :-D

Back