Vancouver Port update ?

oliver2000

Contributor
:
Spicy Orange cdn# 169 plus 2001 MP3
Is digi still around these days.....a port update would be a great thing for thos of us still waiting

Thanks newf.....I really missed his updates.....nothing from my dealer yet....it is freezing and snowy here so t does not matter if they deliver the car this month to me....but if the port is still dead like it was before then march seems more like it

How much do you think you will get for the mp3....I would guess that right now with the msp's coming around it would be better to hold on to the mp3 until the design change...then the older style sedans may have a bit more worth...I have seen some mp3's go on ebay for a song

I would buy a used MP3 if I could find one for a decent price (under $20k) and not abused. Around Toronto, that is a difficult thing. Heck, its a difficult thing finding any MP3's on dealer lots before they are sold.

that would be a difficult thing......finding one that is not abused....many people run the hell out of these cars, lower them and basically kill most of the life of the car...a mp3 is not a speed demon and should be driven with finess.

My dealer had a person who bought a mp3 from them...first week he got it, lowered it, changed all the ignition wires, did a do it yourself intake and drove the crap out of it.....went to trade it in for a msp....they said sorry we will give you 12K for it...We drive up in our MP3 with 15,000K on it, in mint condition not winter driven with a injen CAI offered us 19K....we are keeping it thou and going to have a 2 mazda family...mp3 and MSP.

that would be a difficult thing......finding one that is not abused....many people run the hell out of these cars, lower them and basically kill most of the life of the car...

Yep, that pretty much sums up the reason I decided to just bite the bullet and get an MSP. It's a bit more than I wanted to spend (not that it isn't worth it), plus I won't have any worries about what the previous owner did (and didn't do) to their car.

I opened up my car once WOT. Another time I had her up 190 for about 5 mins. Both times way after she was broke in, and this was last fall before the snow came. She had 4000kms at the time. Since then, I've been on the highway maybe 6 times, and I don't think I even broke 130 each time. We were saving for our 1st home, and never went anywhere. Car is pampered, never power shifted, tires rotated every 4500kms by myself. She was driven in winter last year, but only 5000kms total, and that was never in a storm or anything. I wax here with mothers every month( THE speed is getting Zaino....I figure I'll try it once) I'm not in any car group, or hang out with any car guys....and I have been the only driver since day one besides my Mazda mechanic/manager. The woman never really drives it :)

Even in the winter, the carpets, and mats are all done once a month, and are MINT. Well, the drivers one could be a little better. The only thing that's been in my back seat is my snow brush :) No lame comments please!

Outside of the infamous clunk, and squeaky shocks...which is gone thanks to struts being replaced, I've never had a problem with it. TRansmission has never given me troubles, and shifts just fine to me. THen again, I'm not changing gears at 5500 rpms either, mostly around 3000rpm mark. I have never raced it, dragged it, or AutoX'd it as we don't have any of that here. Sure, I've lost a car or two in the corners from time to time.....fun as hell, but the car has never been pushed hard.

This car is MINT. I can't express it more then that. I do have one 1" scape on the outside of one wheel, but that's it. I always have a line up of people waiting for my cars, and I know the only reason why she isn't sold, is because of the 10 feet of snow everywhere here. Once the snow is gone........if it ever goes...so is the car.

there's ony 3 MP3's in NF. I know the one in St. Johns is not taken care of, and the other one is owned by some rich girl who don't know what she has.....so I'm guessing that's not taken care of either. I could be wrong though.

My point, whoever buys it, will be lucky to get it. So there is at least one MP3 out there, that hasn't been s*** hauled. She is stock, with the exception if the G2 Caliper paint.

Last edited:
Newf -
First of all, congrats on your 1000th post! :D
I've seen pics of your car, and know your dedication to it by reading your various posts. You are absolutely right, whoever gets your car will (should) have no qualms about it.
Unfortunately, thats not the norm. For example, the most recent MP3 I went to look at was listed in the paper with no picture. I drove about 45 minutes to go see it (and was assured the car was in "perfect condition"). When I got there, it was a different story. The sub was blown, the rims were gone (sold seperately) and replaced with black steelies. The tail lights were replaced by the most hideous Alteza's I've ever seen. And there were ugly white vinyl graphics ALL OVER it.
The good ones are snapped up too quickly, and the crappy ones are, well, not worth it at the prices they are fetching. So I'm going to treat myself to my first new car with the MSP.

look at that...1000 posts....well, 1001 now :)

I know most people aren't so anal about their cars as myself, but hey, I'm a car guy. I would have killed the guy with that MP3 your talking about just for putting vinyl graphics on it, yet alone wasting 45 mins of my time....too bad.

Hey, if you want to meet me in Port aux Basques, you can have my car :)

Grimace said:
[B When I got there, it was a different story. The sub was blown, the rims were gone (sold seperately) and replaced with black steelies. The tail lights were replaced by the most hideous Alteza's I've ever seen. And there were ugly white vinyl graphics ALL OVER it.
. [/B]

Grimace, do you own if the owner of the car powered coated his RacingHarts white? Does he also have relfective blue tint on his car? Does he have 2 10" same kenwood subs in his trunk?
If all this matches the describes what you saw, i think i know who's Mp3 you are referring to.

No it wasn't the same MP3 as the one across the street from the lot where we were checking out your car. Although it could be it's doppleganger. The tail's were the same I believe, but the car I was checking out had white "racing" stickers mostly, and the car by you was white wavy things down the side.
(Yes, sadly enough, two of these poor vinyled MP3's exist.)
L.E. - No reflective blue tint on this car. Don't tell me there are THREE MP3's like this running around... :(

See what I mean about it being difficult to find unmolested used MP3's? Same can be said for Integra Type R's, another car near the top of my shopping list.

newf said:
I opened up my car once WOT. Another time I had her up 190 for about 5 mins. Both times way after she was broke in, and this was last fall before the snow came. She had 4000kms at the time. Since then, I've been on the highway maybe 6 times, and I don't think I even broke 130 each time. We were saving for our 1st home, and never went anywhere. Car is pampered, never power shifted, tires rotated every 4500kms by myself. She was driven in winter last year, but only 5000kms total, and that was never in a storm or anything. I wax here with mothers every month( THE speed is getting Zaino....I figure I'll try it once) I'm not in any car group, or hang out with any car guys....and I have been the only driver since day one besides my Mazda mechanic/manager. The woman never really drives it :)

Even in the winter, the carpets, and mats are all done once a month, and are MINT. Well, the drivers one could be a little better. The only thing that's been in my back seat is my snow brush :) No lame comments please!

Outside of the infamous clunk, and squeaky shocks...which is gone thanks to struts being replaced, I've never had a problem with it. TRansmission has never given me troubles, and shifts just fine to me. THen again, I'm not changing gears at 5500 rpms either, mostly around 3000rpm mark. I have never raced it, dragged it, or AutoX'd it as we don't have any of that here. Sure, I've lost a car or two in the corners from time to time.....fun as hell, but the car has never been pushed hard.

This car is MINT. I can't express it more then that. I do have one 1" scape on the outside of one wheel, but that's it. I always have a line up of people waiting for my cars, and I know the only reason why she isn't sold, is because of the 10 feet of snow everywhere here. Once the snow is gone........if it ever goes...so is the car.

there's ony 3 MP3's in NF. I know the one in St. Johns is not taken care of, and the other one is owned by some rich girl who don't know what she has.....so I'm guessing that's not taken care of either. I could be wrong though.

My point, whoever buys it, will be lucky to get it. So there is at least one MP3 out there, that hasn't been s*** hauled. She is stock, with the exception if the G2 Caliper paint.

What is the story behind the strut squeak? When dis it do it, and who diagnosed the problem?

Surely you drive it harder than that. That little 4 pot motor needs a healthy dose of some semi-regular 5-6k shifts. Many mechanics would take a well driven (not beat) car over a granny driven one.

I don't ever see a NEED to shift at 5k or 6k during daily driving. No, it's not granny driven, but I don't abuse my cars eithier. And if your shifting at 6000 every day.....good for you, but not your tranny.

And the struts squeak after time, more so in the cold. I think all they had to do is grease them, but they ended up replacing them, which didn't do a thing, but then they replaced the strut mounts, and presto....no more squeaks. Apparantly this is a common problem with ALL protege's, not just the speeds or MP3's.

newf said:
I don't ever see a NEED to shift at 5k or 6k during daily driving. No, it's not granny driven, but I don't abuse my cars eithier. And if your shifting at 6000 every day.....good for you, but not your tranny.

And the struts squeak after time, more so in the cold. I think all they had to do is grease them, but they ended up replacing them, which didn't do a thing, but then they replaced the strut mounts, and presto....no more squeaks. Apparantly this is a common problem with ALL protege's, not just the speeds or MP3's.

No, no, no...not every day, during daily driving. And shifting that high a couple times per week isn't hurting anything either.

I asked about the struts becuase when I put the Mopar 1.5 lowering springs in my R/T, the back struts/area, has a little squeak when going over speedbumps. I thought it might have something to do with the mounts too.

Back