Used 2009 Sport or 2008 Touring

zeroaxs

My wife and I are thinking about getting back to having a Mazda5 in the house, even after all the problems we had with our original 2006 M5. So what would you recommend?

1) a 2009 Sport in blue with sand interior and 8k miles on it? 17,599

OR
2) a 2008 Touring in black with black interior and 43k miles on it? 12,999

As you can see there's quite a bit of difference in price there. Of course a HUGE difference in miles. What would you do?
Michael

The price on the 2009 sounds way high. We paid around that for a brand new Sport back in October 2008.

The price on the 2008 sounds a bit high (considering the high miles), but not as bad as the other one. But personally, I do not like the color scheme.

Look on Edmunds, kbb and nada guides to get an idea what those vehicles are worth where you live... Your dealer may try to tell you how they can't keep these Mz5's on the lot, yada yada...but that is bull.

I posted a similar question a couple months ago, except it was a new '09 Sport vs. a 37k mile '08 Touring. The consensus favored the '09, but I went with the '08. So far, I'm happy with the choice.

My wife and I are thinking about getting back to having a Mazda5 in the house, even after all the problems we had with our original 2006 M5. So what would you recommend?

1) a 2009 Sport in blue with sand interior and 8k miles on it? 17,599

OR
2) a 2008 Touring in black with black interior and 43k miles on it? 12,999

As you can see there's quite a bit of difference in price there. Of course a HUGE difference in miles. What would you do?
Michael

TODAY - I saw in the newspaper (Journal de Montreal) :

2010 Mazda5 GS base model 5 speed manual tranny - 17,995$
ADD tax - prep - destination and so on.... in Canadian funds.... that is still less than what I have seen on the website of mazda.ca

Let's compare the prices on the websites for the base model in copper red - NO option.

- On mazda.ca : 24,951.02* (20,459$+++)
* Freight & PDI Included / Taxes and fees included

- On mazdausa.com : $18,745*
* MSRP includes destination charges but excludes tax, title and license fees. Destination charges may vary in Alaska and Hawaii. Vehicles displayed may contain optional equipment at additional costs. Actual dealer price may vary.

24,951.02 CAD = 24,252.01 USD (source xe.com 2010-01-10)

IF there is a difference of 2,500CAD$ then there should be almost the same difference in USD$, thus making the 18,745$ going down to almost 16,245$

Let the numbers do the talkin'....

I bought my 2010 Mazda 5 Sport brand new off the showroom floor for $17.4k. With fog lights, a homelink mirror, tax, title, and registration it came to $19.5k; you'll still have to pay the tax, title and reg. fees above what you've listed, so I think that 2009 is radically overpriced - you could buy new for *LESS*. That's assuming a manual gearbox; the automatic adds something like $1800. But even with that I can't imagine a 2009 with 8k miles costing $17.6.

Back