US roof rack

mctoone

Contributor
Is there absolutely NO WAY a US roof rack will fit on a Canadian P5? Even if I got the side rails? Is the top of the car a different shape or something? I love the US roof rack because it is so streamlined. Anyone know??

posible... someone in vancouver have already done it..all the same.. the only extra step you need to do is drill some holes on your car :)

You can trade your roof "fill strips" for the US roofrack and all the associated goodies.

A number of us have done this trade/swap.

There is a very good thread on this in the "how-to" section.

You should know that the American roof rack is useless, except for its aesthetic value (which is very high!). Unlike your Canadian racks you can only use the ski and bike attachments that Mazda offers. If you want to use the roof rack i suggest a Yakima rack with Q Towers. Incredibly functional, removes/installs in seconds, and looks pretty damn good with a fairing.

If you just want the rack for the looks, none of this applies to you and I'm sorry for wasting your time.

eting_pro5 said:
You should know that the American roof rack is useless, except for its aesthetic value (which is very high!). Unlike your Canadian racks you can only use the ski and bike attachments that Mazda offers. If you want to use the roof rack i suggest a Yakima rack with Q Towers. Incredibly functional, removes/installs in seconds, and looks pretty damn good with a fairing.

If you just want the rack for the looks, none of this applies to you and I'm sorry for wasting your time.
Wow,you must be a Yakima salesman or ?.
The Mazda rack is perfectly good unless you are incapable of figuring how to tie things down.
Some people need an off the rack(pun intended) solution for everything,...
The cross bars are quite oval in cross section(aero!?), but they even have an embedded rubber friction strip which helps things from sliding sideways on the rack.
If you are a hardcore biker there may be a better solution, maybe, but otherwise it is as good or better than most.

Oh yes, I got my US roofrack for the cost of shipping my "flush style"roof strips to my American friend?!.

Last edited:
The US roof rack also produces alot of wind noise according to many. I don't think its bad, but that's just me.

Do I need your strips? I notice that US P5's without roof racks have strips running along the top where the rack sits. But they are big strips! Would they bolt onto my P5? Or would I have to drill new holes.

Ahh...I just called the Mazda Dealership to see if they would install the US roof rack...They cringed. They have done ONE install and they hated it....took them over 4 hours. And then the roof could leak...I think I will pass on the US roof rack. Thanks all the same. But Geez it looks nice!

RX7jeff said:
Wow,you must be a Yakima salesman or ?.
The Mazda rack is perfectly good unless you are incapable of figuring how to tie things down.
Some people need an off the rack(pun intended) solution for everything,...
The cross bars are quite oval in cross section(aero!?), but they even have an embedded rubber friction strip which helps things from sliding sideways on the rack.
If you are a hardcore biker there may be a better solution, maybe, but otherwise it is as good or better than most.

Oh yes, I got my US roofrack for the cost of shipping my "flush style"roof strips to my American friend?!.
I wish i was getting paid for this!! I guess my Yakima advertising was somewhat irrelevant seeing as how Canadian rack offered by Mazda (I don't know if it's standard or not) is a pretty effective rack (might even be made by Thule). But as most people who carry a bike on top of their Pro5s will agree, the stock rack is pretty useless for this. Tying a mattress, 2x4s, plywood or 6'x1'x1' foot cardboards "D"s (Dare Devil Movie standee taken from work!) is not hard. Then again, these objects are all flat. If i could tie my bike to a car safely (99% guarantee it's not gonna fly off) and make it theft-proof (everything on my Yakima is locked down) while not taking an hour every time, I might do it. But since this is pretty much near impossible (think of what would happen when I want to carry two bikes!or a bike and a kayak! or two bikes and a kayak!) I've never wasted my time trying.

I love my Yakima rack. They don't have to pay me to be proud of what I own.

Ok Ok...I just liked the way the US OEM roof rack looked....the Canadian roof rack is made by Thule...and it is very useful...I just don't like it. I don't even need a roof rack but....Ahhh forget it.!!

Back