(UK) Auto Express New Car Awards for this year

:
CX5 2.2 diesel / Mazda mps
The two latest Mazda cars are in the list.

Auto Express New Car Awards Winners 2013

City Car Skoda Citigo
Supermini Ford Fiesta
Compact family car SEAT Leon
Family Car Mazda 6
Five-seat MPV Ford B-MAX
Estate Car Skoda Octavia Estate
Crossover Mazda CX-5
Compact SUV Range Rover Evoque
Large SUV Hyundai Santa Fe
Hot Hatch Ford Fiesta ST
Convertible Volkswagen Beetle Cabriolet
Coupe Porsche Cayman
Roadster Porsche Boxster
Pick-up Volkswagen Amarok
Compact Executive Car BMW 3 Series
Executive CarBMW 5 Series
Luxury Car Range Rover
Performance Car Toyota GT 86
Green Award Vauxhall Ampera
Design Award Range Rover
Driver Power Award Lexus
Hall of Fame Ian Robertson, BMW
Safety Award Volvo V40

Good isn't it.

I usually pick up the Auto Express every week, but the week they had the results of the Driver Power Survey I missed as I was in Canada.

I gather Mazda as a whole came 6th over all the manufacturers, and the CX-5 top of the SUV Category.

I'd love to have got hold of the actual magazine copy of the article. I looked on their website and all they provide are listings, tried phoning them & all they wanted to do was sell me an annual subscription.

Alex

Good isn't it.

I usually pick up the Auto Express every week, but the week they had the results of the Driver Power Survey I missed as I was in Canada.

I gather Mazda as a whole came 6th over all the manufacturers, and the CX-5 top of the SUV Category.

I'd love to have got hold of the actual magazine copy of the article. I looked on their website and all they provide are listings, tried phoning them & all they wanted to do was sell me an annual subscription.

Alex

Even better; 4th according to this

Just had this weeks delivered (one of those offers of 6 mags for 1). There isn't much said, but below is a brief outline:
Mazda doesn't have the biggest range of cars in the business, but even with just 6 models it has scooped 2 class wins.... plus one commended.
The CX5 has seen off the competirion once again.... It's the consumate family runabout, with spacious and versitile interior; affordable running costs and very capable driving dynamics.. Some rivals offer more practicality, sharper handling or more desirable styling, but they all come out with the odd compromise. Throw a question at the Mazda, though, and it always has the answer.
Articles goes on to say what goodies its got then about good consumption and pace.

Last edited:
Even better; 4th according to this
Some rivals offer more practicality, sharper handling or more desirable styling

I wonder who they think has sharper handling or more desirable styling in this class, since those two things were major pros for the CX-5 in my mind when I was shopping. VW Tiguan for handling was the only one that I thought was close. I'm quite fond of the Kia Sportage's styling too, but not more than the CX-5.

-stumbles

Stumbles, from various reports I've read, they agree with you.

I think they may mean interior styling which some say is bland and the materials are OK but not fantastic. The interior ambience of the Tiguan is better (I had one) but was also bland.
Reporters very much like the exterior styling of the CX5.
Handling is often judged as very good - though I think some reviewers were a bit disappointed when the CX5 was first released. This is because it was first shown to and driven bytesters in Iceland and the handling set-up was very highly acclaimed. The set-up was changed slightly before release.

I place the CX-5 and Sportage styling at the top in this class of compact crossover SUV.

Latest posts

Back