Turn Signal Stuck On

Maroon

:
03 mazda protege 5
Anyone had this problem? Couldn't find anything with the search.

My left turn signal gets stuck on sometimes. The switch is returning to it's neutral position. The signal will stay on even when I take the key out of the ignition. It will shut back off eventually (after 5-10 minutes), but it's always after I mess with something: turn on emergency flashers, mess with turn signal switch, or play with the relay under the dash. It's never the same thing that gets it to turn off, and none of those things will help until after it's been flashing for 5 minutes.

Obviously, there is a short. But I am wondering if it's just another common stupid problem that these damned cars have.

Thanks

These cars are only damned by wear and their owners.............and no, haven't heard that one before much less often enough to be common problem.

I have never heard of that one either...I would start with the stalk. A used replacement isn't going to be hard to find or expensive, and it may just solve your problem!

@Maroon did you ever solve your problem? My passenger side is doing the same thing. I pulled the fuse and the damn light is still on.

@Maroon did you ever solve your problem? My passenger side is doing the same thing. I pulled the fuse and the damn light is still on.

I can't say for sure if I fixed it. One day it stuck on right as I pulled into a store parking lot. Since it doesn't turn off when you remove the key, I got a little mad, ripped the relay box out from under the dash and threw it accross the car. I later reinstalled the box without doing anything to it. I haven't had a problem in the month since.

My guess is that the issue was within that relay box. This box contains both turnsignal relays, capacitors, a circuit board, etc. Something was probably shorting out. I suggest taking that box apart and looking for any obvious shorts. Circuit board lines and solders can corrode and bridge the gap between one another. It's probably not cost effective, but you could replace the components on the circuit board if you determined which is bad.

The relay box is white and located under the dash to the left of the steering column. You'll hear it if you turn your turn signal on.

Last edited:
So... [thumbing through repair manual] Nope! Didn't see 'beat the pizz out of it and throw it' as a validated Mazda repair procedure... Guess they need to add that, eh? ;)

So... [thumbing through repair manual] Nope! Didn't see 'beat the pizz out of it and throw it' as a validated Mazda repair procedure... Guess they need to add that, eh? ;)

Haha, I guess so. I'll send them an email...

Back