Turboxs Hybrid BOV,backfire issue?

rmcat

have any of you turboxs hybrid bov user seen/heard backfire on your ms3? I put it on my car since two months ago,and I recently notice backfire when I WOT and shift from 2nd gear to 3rd(burping noise from the exhaust)
btw I put 2 washers

I am pretty sure that it is being caused by not recirculating the air. Since it is blowing into the atmosphere it is receiving more fuel then air, causing it to back fire.

If you run in full recirc mode it will alleviate the backfiring. You'll still hear somewhat of a VTA effect, but not as much.

i jsut switched my hks to vta and in 2 days i got 1 noticable backfire. never does it when in recirculation

I have had the turbo xs for about 2 months, lesss washers less backfire , in all honesty unless it is 100 % recirc, there will always be some burping depending on engine speed, load etc. it really comes down to this, if you want zero burping/backfiring use a recirc valve and if you want more noise just put up with the burping.

I have had the turbo xs for about 2 months, lesss washers less backfire , in all honesty unless it is 100 % recirc, there will always be some burping depending on engine speed, load etc. it really comes down to this, if you want zero burping/backfiring use a recirc valve and if you want more noise just put up with the burping.

I would tend to agree with this statement. I think my backfire may be related to my DP... I was getting any backfire prior to the DP. Even when i had 2 washers and now i have 4.

why less washers less backfire?

i seemed to notice less backfire today after putting 4 washers,and i had to drive a bit harder in order to hear the bov sound,so i guess the bov is harder to do vta since it's tighter,less air vented = less backfire,no?

I have the TurboSmart and have the same problem. I may run it full recirc and just set it on hard to have a flutter effect.

full recirc is the way to go, i just run vta right now for the sound really. get attention and piss people off(fuoops)

I have the TurboSmart and have the same problem. I may run it full recirc and just set it on hard to have a flutter effect.

u do know what the flutter effect is right ? its compressor surge. making your turbo spin the WRONG way.

That flutter effect IS BAD

u do know what the flutter effect is right ? its compressor surge. making your turbo spin the WRONG way.

That flutter effect IS BAD

what would cause my car to make a flutter sound? it doesnt do it but i just dont want it to do it. would it be not enough air being released by the blow off valve?

It's pretty much an issue of the BOV/BPV not opening at the right time and/or at the right amount of opening.

Consider that the flutter occurs when the air charge hits a closed thottle plate, then slams into a compressor wheel, causing surge. This is a problem! Allowing the air an escape to recirculate until you get back on the throttle OR until the air is used up solves this problem. But, if you mis-tune the BPV/BOV, then the air won't release correctly or at the right time, causing some form of stall/surge. This is the flutter, and it is BAD on the turbo.

Sorry if that was remedial, but I was betting that some people didn't know what the hell it does.

It's pretty much an issue of the BOV/BPV not opening at the right time and/or at the right amount of opening.

Consider that the flutter occurs when the air charge hits a closed thottle plate, then slams into a compressor wheel, causing surge. This is a problem! Allowing the air an escape to recirculate until you get back on the throttle OR until the air is used up solves this problem. But, if you mis-tune the BPV/BOV, then the air won't release correctly or at the right time, causing some form of stall/surge. This is the flutter, and it is BAD on the turbo.

Sorry if that was remedial, but I was betting that some people didn't know what the hell it does.

thanks fourthmeal...

i have tried explaining in other posts what it is, but it never gets through to people.

that is why i just simply said what i said...lol

okay, so if I bought a BOV and set it to recirc mode, would I get the cool turbo sound or not? What the heck does it (aftermarket BOV, such as HKS or Greddy) do that the stock thing doesn't? I totally don't know anything about my car.

The stock ones have been known to leak boost in the higher RPM's I have never seen it proven though. The aftermarket BOV can hold more boost if you ever wanted to turn it up.

when u start modding your car..exhaust intake, ecu and start pushing more psi...the stock valve may leak because it is designed to be cheap and handle the stock settings of the cars power and tune...upgrading prevents you form leaking boost and making more power...its a mod that will usually need to be done later on but some of us like to get it done at first because its so simple.

I read something earlier about Flutter Effect. That sounds bad.

It can happen in Atmospheric mode, but not in Recirc mode? Is this true?

In Atmos mode you get sound, but no sound in Recirc mode? Is this true?

I like playing GT4 and hearing the cool turbo blow off sounds. I don't get that with my MS3 which makes it somewhat anti-climatic. But if I can only get it wh Atmos mode then, maybe the flutter effect ain't worth it. <--That probably didn't make any sense. Anyone want to give it a shot?

Back