Turbo "Sewing Machine Sound" Help!

jerseymods

:
2003.5 Titanium Grey MSP
So lately my turbo has been sounding like the "sewing machine whistle" sound that I have discovered on the Garrett Turbo's FAQs --> (http://www.turbobygarrett.com/turbobygarrett/faq) <--

Now It does give a description of what it might be, but I wanted to make sure with the community. Has anyone else experienced this? Car only has 38.2k Miles on it.

On a stock turbo it's 100% normal for the car to produce a whistle while spooling. I recall the sound back in the day and a few of the magazines describing it as a dog pitch whistle. I don't know about a sewing machine sound.

How is the car boosting? Is it normal and holding or less/too much? If you hear the whistle sound at idle it may very well be your WGA. There was a TSB about that.

Try and post and audio clip if you can.

On a stock turbo it's 100% normal for the car to produce a whistle while spooling. I recall the sound back in the day and a few of the magazines describing it as a dog pitch whistle. I don't know about a sewing machine sound.

How is the car boosting? Is it normal and holding or less/too much? If you hear the whistle sound at idle it may very well be your WGA. There was a TSB about that.

Try and post and audio clip if you can.

I dont have boost gauge so im not to sure, car does feel little sluggish. But i dont hear the noise at idle. Just kinda sounds like turbo is spooling correctly.

I'm sure it is spooling correctly with such low mileage on it. That's good you don't hear anything at idle.
You really should install a boost gauge so you can monitor your vacuum and boost readings.
You should be able to pick up a gauge & pod for less than $100 brand new.

I'm sure it is spooling correctly with such low mileage on it. That's good you don't hear anything at idle.
You really should install a boost gauge so you can monitor your vacuum and boost readings.
You should be able to pick up a gauge & pod for less than $100 brand new.

Finally installed a spare Defi gauge that one of my buddies had and msp seems to be hitting max 7psi. So im guessing there is a boost leak? I want to try to record the gauge while I do a few pulls but I needed a second pair of hands. Car idles at -19 to -20 Hg

You may have a boost leak but 7psi is correct for a stock MSP. Idle should be slightly higher; at least -22 is ideal. Especially considering the mileage on the motor.

You may have a boost leak but 7psi is correct for a stock MSP. Idle should be slightly higher; at least -22 is ideal. Especially considering the mileage on the motor.

Okay, so what should be the next step I should take? Because I know my turbo should not sound the way it does. sounds more like a flutter sound.

Okay, so what should be the next step I should take? Because I know my turbo should not sound the way it does. sounds more like a flutter sound.

If this flutter sound occurs when you change gears that is normal too. It's amplified when you have a SRI or CAI. We call it the turkey. It's not compressor surge.
And given your elevation and current atmospheric conditions up in the mid-atlantic region your vac reading is within normal range. Some gauges read differently for whatever reason.

Without hearing an audio clip or it in person I would say that you have a perfectly fine functioning MSP.

jerseymods. So a buddy of mine from work who owns a '02 vw golf 1.8t had the same issue/sound. He found it to be his ebay purchased BOV. He bought a HKS ssqv BOV in and the flutter sound went away. The BOV was causing air flow back into the turbo forcing the turbine in turbo to stop spinning for a split second, hense the flutter sound. Hope this helps.

If this flutter sound occurs when you change gears that is normal too. It's amplified when you have a SRI or CAI. We call it the turkey. It's not compressor surge.
And given your elevation and current atmospheric conditions up in the mid-atlantic region your vac reading is within normal range. Some gauges read differently for whatever reason.

Without hearing an audio clip or it in person I would say that you have a perfectly fine functioning MSP.

Its not the turkey noise, its when I am accelerating, not while switching gears

jerseymods. So a buddy of mine from work who owns a '02 vw golf 1.8t had the same issue/sound. He found it to be his ebay purchased BOV. He bought a HKS ssqv BOV in and the flutter sound went away. The BOV was causing air flow back into the turbo forcing the turbine in turbo to stop spinning for a split second, hense the flutter sound. Hope this helps.

In my case everything is stock and has not been changed. Still have the stock bpv aswell

Mario Laurie 2 years ago

I have a pretty modded speed protege and to clear things up, the flutter is not how it should sound. That flutter is due to the fact that the inlet and outlet on the bypass valve is not big enough to efficiently dump the air back into the intake. Using a proper size fitting on the intake with a recirculated blow off valve will get rid of the flutter. Or do what a lot of speed protege guys do and run a blow off valve and bypass valve to kill the flutter and keep from stalling.

You need to record the sound and post the clip. Or try and find a local that actually knows what they are doing when it comes to MSP knowledge.

You need to record the sound and post the clip. Or try and find a local that actually knows what they are doing when it comes to MSP knowledge.

This^

I'm wondering if it's not exhaust leak at the turbo/mani. Missing bolts.

Back