Turbo noise when engine cold

There is a winy noise from the turbo whent I start the car and it goes away after few min. Any idea. Turbo going bad ? I use Mobil 1 every 5k.(sad2)

do you have a cai. on the cx-7.. reason i ask is because when i first start up in the mornings the idle is at like 2k so sometimes i hear it but the other times i have the radio to high so i don't notice

sorry what is a cai.?

A CAI is an UTTERLY useless piece of JUNK.

CAI, Cold Air Intake...

The only purpose it serves is to allow more sound to escape the factory intake noise baffling and bypass/eliminate the factory intake anti-resonance chambers. Especially interesting is that K&N version actually intakes more engine compartment WARM air than the factory intake.

The sad thing is that perfectly VALID test after tests have indicated NO engine performance enhancement from these devices and some models have had long term detrimental effects on the engine because they throw the factory MAF/IAT calibration out of tolerance.

Uh, WTF are you talking about...
cx7_dyno_power.jpg

cx7_dyno_torque.jpg

There is no K&N upgrade for the CX-7. If you actually had a CX-7, you would know that the intake tract is extremely restrictive for the sake of cutting noise. Pulling that restriction and replacing with a properly engineered part gives you a performance benefit without any of the muckety-muck issues with the MAF that you mentioned.

None of this has any bearing on the CX-7, so I'm not sure why you are even talking about this here...

There is a winy noise from the turbo whent I start the car and it goes away after few min. Any idea. Turbo going bad ? I use Mobil 1 every 5k.(sad2)

Is it just the engine revving on start-up? RPMs will be higher when you start-up, to help warm the vehicle. Once the cats warm up, the rpms drop down to normal. Is this possibly what you are experiencing?

If not, are there any other issues associated with this that you are getting? Bogging? Loss in performance? Fewer MPG's?

A CAI is an UTTERLY useless piece of JUNK.

CAI, Cold Air Intake...

The only purpose it serves is to allow more sound to escape the factory intake noise baffling and bypass/eliminate the factory intake anti-resonance chambers. Especially interesting is that K&N version actually intakes more engine compartment WARM air than the factory intake.

The sad thing is that perfectly VALID test after tests have indicated NO engine performance enhancement from these devices and some models have had long term detrimental effects on the engine because they throw the factory MAF/IAT calibration out of tolerance.

yeah....show me the tests.

Just so you guys know....WEST has basically been shunned by alot of memeber of acurazine for his postings that try to invalidate any single performance enhancement to any vehicle, he also tries to make directed posts, such as now to the CX-7, a vehicle hes never owned or driven, just like he has never owned the Acura RDX.

dont waste ur time getting into it.....given his join date on the mazda board, it looks like hes trying find another place that he can spew his nonsense.

or, let him respond and quickly demonstrate why you need to ignore him...or did that already happen? lol

Uh, WTF are you talking about...

There is no K&N upgrade for the CX-7. If you actually had a CX-7, you would know that the intake tract is extremely restrictive for the sake of cutting noise.

No, most modern day automotive intake systems use anti-resonance methods such as side chambers to reduce noise, not, NEVER flow restrictions. Look at it this way...Why go to all the trouble of designing a low inertia fast spool up turbocharger, uniquely engineered engine, intake and exhaust system design, and then "throttle" all that by intentionally restriction intake flow..??

NOT..!!

Pulling that restriction and replacing with a properly engineered part gives you a performance benefit without any of the muckety-muck issues with the MAF that you mentioned.

Key words "properly engineered"....

What engineering team, outside of the factory team, even has the ability, let alone the resources to "properly engineer" an intake system...?? Before you look at allocating the engineering time and resources, primarily MONEY, look at the relatively meager market size, restricted strictly to the "boy-racer" mentality crowd, the only group willing to look the other way insofar as "properly designed" is concerned.

None of this has any bearing on the CX-7, so I'm not sure why you are even talking about this here...

Had I the money to support the "engineering" what I would do is mill the CX-7 head to raise the cylinder's "native" compression ratio to the 12:1 level that has become standard for DFI, and then find a way to extend the VVT intake valve timing to incrementally delay the intake valve closing as boost rises.

High FE Atkinson engine cycle for relatively constant speed highway cruising, transitioning QUICKLY into the Miller cycle as/when boost rises. 50% overall MPG improvement..?

Most probably the wastegate could be eliminated using this method to "dethrottle" the engine to prevent over boosting. Once over-boost range is reached extend the valve closing delay, lowering even the boosted compression ratio to the point wherein the turbine runs out of "steam".

Okay, naysayers, time to POUNCE....

But maybe 1 in 20 responses will be more than naysaying.

Last edited:
Heyyy, all is well

Just so you know, i now have an 08 RDX...the 07 was a lemon hahhahah, just my luck...but no mechanical issues. there was a problem with the sunroof they could not fix, the 08's had just come out and i landed in the same model but just a new 08, lucked out actually

Mods so far...i bought both the CPE CAI and the Eibach spring kit. i cancelled my CPE order and was really not hip to their claimed power. (hondata results showed very min gain dynoing w/just CAI, if any, and no flash) Not that i doubted the product at all, but in the grand scheme of the RDX, i find its turbo noise perfectly fine, and alot of people were reporting a very decent increase in noise and i just didnt want to deal with that, given that I found the RDX noisy already. Im sure the CPE would help some, but not enough for me at least.

Hondata has a flash that is truely the only and best thing out. For 600 bucks, getting close to 30hp, 30tq, increasing boost about 4 1/2 psi. for 600 bucks, not much else you can do to get those gains...so as you see,the CAI really became less attractive at 300 bucks.

I have every intention of doing hondata, but there are decent limitations to the flash. 1. they dont directly sell, not that big of deal, but wont give u possession of a copy of the flash. this presents alot of problems, at least for me. 2. You can buy the flash on an additional ECU for 1100+, but the ECU wipes out oil & fluid data and the immobilizer (no surprise there). Also, there seems to be a lack of solid reliable info about the flash and its effects on systems in the car that Hondata really hasnt come out and said "this will work, and this wont work." So im sitting on it waiting to see if they will release a flash i can buy and use thru the ODB port and if not, seeing what else pops up with it.

I have the K&N air filter in, which actually has noticeable benefits with power off the line, less turbo lag, mpg improved about 2+, and the airflow sounds so much sweeter under the hood.

there are a few companies working on exhausts, but nothing has come out yet really.

our car has almost no aftermarket support, even compared to the CX7, so its tough goings.

the first thing i wanted was at least a cat back, but so far no dice.

I have the eibach kit sitting in the box waiting for spring to install with TSW 20's, so just the K&N in right now....haha so the above was very long winded but just to give you an idea of where the RDX sits in aftermarket world, especially compared to the Mazda. theres next to nothing.

Last edited:
Back to original thread. Yes I know that when the engine is cold the rpm goes up to 2000 rpm. That is not a problem for me. What I hear now that didn't hear before is maybe the bearings in the turbo giving up. There is no loss of power or hesitation. The car has 20000 miles and I don't want to wait till the turbo goes out. Did any body experienced that in any turbo car. The car is stock.

It's hard to diagnose if we can't hear it at all (especially in person)..but even a video might help. Are you sure it's the turbo though?

also, check the bolts on the exhaust manifold for the hell of it. my MSP used to whine a little until it warmed up. turned out two of the bolts backed out a little allowing for some noise. i tightened them down, noise went away.

i think best bet is have someone actually check out your cx-7 in person as they can diagnose the problem better than us.we can only guess at this point. i have yet to have problems with my turboand im bout to hit 40k.i do need to take it to the dealer for that problem that i am having with the vvt..besides that all i can say is what i stated earlier and have someone check it out in person..

Back