Trunk/Backseat Rattle???

kito311

Hello all! I just purchased a new Mazda3 touring package and I am loving it. Recently, I noticed a rattle in the back in the trunk/backseat area when I go over some bumps and I cannot pinpoint the exact cause/location of it and its driving me nuts. It is really annoying and I am going to take it to the dealer this week. But, thought I'd see if anyone else has had a similar problem with their Mazda3. Thanks!

I too have noticed this, it only happens sometimes. Seems to happen more so when going over a slight bump, like a small speed bump.

I notice it in a parkade from time to time when going around 25kph.

Sounds like it is comming from the rear passenger side some place. I took it into the dealer and they could not see it, they say they checked the entire back end and found nothing wrong.

I drive an 04 Sedan GT (Canadian)

It might be the plastic part with the spare wheel, maby the wrench is loose?

i have it aswell, but i didnt notice it until after the weather started to get cold.

Interesting . . . I actually did not notice it last night driving around. So, it seemes to be a hit or miss thing, which could be very annoying down the road since it will never make that sound at the dealer like Sethlan's car. Well, I'll see what happens thanks.

in fact, i havent heard any rattling sound in a while now and it has been on the warmer side (30*<)over the last week or so.

there is a tsb for this.... your dealership is useless if you took it in recently for this issue as that particular tsb has been around for a while, though i thought they cleaned this issue up on the cars after the 04/05's...??? its a piece of plastic molding that basicaly is just in the wrong place and has no use, the tsb says to just grind it off.... i think i just ground mine away over time...

Isn't that TSB for 2004 5-door models only?
I have a 2005 Sedan and I hear that same annoying rattling/clicking sound too....

yeah thats what i wasn't sure about... sure if you guys check the tsb listings stickied it will tell you whats up... i am just to lazy... sorry

Think It's Gone!

I finally brought my Mazda in for its 1st oil change and for them to take a look at the rattle. Apparently, it was a bushing in the trunk. The tech heard the rattle when the trunk was closed but didn't when it was open. Guess he lubricated this bushing and I haven't heard it since. I'm crossing my fingers, but hopefully its gone!

Might be that or a wire hitting the metal ...rapped in plastic...If someone would want to rip apart their hood n look for something like that...most likely fix it...

I had some noise back there too. These are the things I did with self adhesive "fuzzy" side of velco strips:
Put small pieces on the edges of the cargo tray, feet and center rib (which contacts the removeable cover) - basically in all the plastic to plastic contact points

Put small strips on the pillar-like structure behind the rear seat - tilt the seat foward and put it on the screw head. I also put one layer of black electrical tape around the anchor where the seat latches.

I also put a piece of electircal tape around the jack tool where it is supposed to clip. For some reason my clip didn't hold it thighly.

These things solved my noises in the back. Now if I could just figure out what is creaking in the IP - on the passenger side.

I know what you are talking about. It is definitely in the back of the car. It is more of a clunking sound. It is also definitely suspension related. Mine got worse with the installation of a rear sway bar but went away entirely when I lowered the car with new springs.

It always happened to me on any type of pavement irregularity. I am wondering if the stock springs allow too much travel and it is bottoming out? Dunno....

Nighthawk said:
I had some noise back there too. These are the things I did with self adhesive "fuzzy" side of velco strips:
Put small pieces on the edges of the cargo tray, feet and center rib (which contacts the removeable cover) - basically in all the plastic to plastic contact points

Put small strips on the pillar-like structure behind the rear seat - tilt the seat foward and put it on the screw head. I also put one layer of black electrical tape around the anchor where the seat latches.

I also put a piece of electircal tape around the jack tool where it is supposed to clip. For some reason my clip didn't hold it thighly.

These things solved my noises in the back. Now if I could just figure out what is creaking in the IP - on the passenger side.

I'll have to try your solution.
The noise is driving me crazy!

I've tried holding the door (while driving - I've never been a passenger yet) and the noise was still there. I need to get someone to drive while try and locate the source. If that doesn't give me a simple solution I will start taking one part of the IP off at a time and repeat until I get it.

Nighthawk said:
I've tried holding the door (while driving - I've never been a passenger yet) and the noise was still there. I need to get someone to drive while try and locate the source. If that doesn't give me a simple solution I will start taking one part of the IP off at a time and repeat until I get it.

You will be wasting your time. It is from the rear suspension.

Back