Tranny issue

firefox_mp

:
2004 Mazda 3
Hey all,
been driving around for the last maybe two months, and have noticed that when i shift into 3rd gear, i can feel the gears grinding. i tried it at all different rpms, and my pedal is pushed all the way down, but it still does it. Thinking my syncros might be off, but was wondering if anyone else has had any problems like this, before i take it into mazda to have them look at it. thanks for the help.

that totally happened to me a little while back. I took it into mazda and they replaced my 3rd and 2nd gears. I don't remember exactly what they said, but they did say that it happened on a several other mazda3's as well. When it happened to me, I would try to shift into 3rd, and then it would pop itself back out into neutral (if I didn't hear grinding). I knew it wasn't my stick skills, so I took it in.

I'd say take it into mazda, but with all the mods you have, I don't know if they'll blame the problem on your mods or not. I'll be at mazda tomorrow morning for my 22.5k checkup and I'll askem what it was exactly and post when I get back.

I had the same problem. I just bought an '06 3s Touring with the stick, and at about 530 miles (yes, that's five hundred and thirty) it started making a crunching/grinding noise shifting into third. It only did it if I shifted above say, 3,000 rpm, and it didn't pop out, but I took it in, and Mazda wound up replacing the whole transmission under warranty. My dealer claimed to never have heard of such a thing before, for whatever that's worth.

Sounds like maybe there is a weakness in the third gear synchro in some of Mazda's 5MTs. As far as your mods go, it's only the torque-increasing ones that they could possibly blame, and frankly a CAI and an exhaust doesn't really add up to that much additional torque in the grand scheme of things.

Do the 2.0l and the 2.3l use the same gearbox?

you guys are lucky, I just noticed the same thing yesterday when I went drag, but my prob is that I am out of warranty, I am 2500miles over the warranty :( .

If you did all of your maintance with a mazda dealer theyll likely goodwill the job for you under warrenty

I don't get it...

ulbonado said:
Or not, if there's any evidence that it's been raced....

Yeah I still don't get this attitude that ANY manufacturer is responsible for damage due to abuse. Racing is one example. Mass manufacturered cars are not designed for that sort of abuse.

Back