Traction Question

oh3speed

:
Mazdaspeed Protege
Does anyone else have problems with traction in 1st gear? Ever since i put my unichip on i can barely give it half throttle in first without completely spinnin the tires.

Input please

!st gear sucks, even at the track I get out of first quick. I shift out of first around 4800-5000 just as I start to spool up for second and I'm good.

...buy better more sticky tires if your having traction problems. motor mounts i dont belive (could be wrong tho) help with traction, they help more with wheel hop and keeping your motor in one consistent place.

yeah but wheel hop is because of loosing tractions and your motor going back and how ever it will give your lsd a break too so you might not have to worry to much about dat.

Idk i just dont understand how even at half throttle they would just spin, but how many other people have this problem?

I have the Unichip also and I know what you are saying about the half throttle thing. I think its because of the way the boost is allowed to spike initially. On my car even at half throttle in first or second (when you load the car) the boost jumps to 12 -13 psi by about 2800 rpm which just causes wheel spin or hop (which ever it feels like at the time). Then the boost will taper back down to 10 psi. You will get used to it.

What RPM are you letting the clutch out at? Motor mounts are neither essential or going to solve your problem if its technique or tires.

Sounds like the torque spike is breaking them loose. I'd love to be able to limit boost in 1st. I'm still running basically stock except for what's in my sig (170 whp), and I lose traction in 1st. I'd love a higher final drive because 1st is useless to me most of the time. One thing that did help just a bit was stiffer springs and better damped struts. It can help lessen the weight transfer off the front end. I don't know what I'm going to when I get the new motor and turbo installed, though. It's going to be spin city.

I have my unichip in but im not even using the boost contoller cuz its crap so im just spinnin on stock boost...

im thinking about getting a uni chip and so you can run them w/ out the boost controller b/c i really wouldnt like the boost spikes they give.

oh3speed said:
Idk i just dont understand how even at half throttle they would just spin, but how many other people have this problem?
There is the most amount of torque between 3000 to 3500 rpm. IDK. It's front wheel drive. The only time I get decent traction in first gear when I hammer it is when its 80 degrees or more with my BF Goodrich KDW2's. Motor mounts do help with wheel hop but I don't think with traction that much.

Back