TPS reading open at idle.

Mike R

Contributor
Getting the too lean code, so I checked for vacuum leaks, replaced the O2 sensor, swapped the MAF, replaced the fuel filter, and then I noticed that the TPS was reading 10% at idle. I swapped the tps with a good spare, same readings, TB looks OK, no binding, it's closed where it's supposed to be. Even with the adjustment built in to the TPS cannot get it below 2.7%.

Any suggestions?

It should read 0% and then 100% when you got it to the floor. Are you adjusting the TPS by watching the % open? Or are you setting it with an ohmmeter? Also hows the % look when going from 0 to 100? It should be linear with out spikes or drop offs..
JT

Adjusting it by the % open on the scanner. The sweep is fine. I swapped a TPS from a known and tested working vehicle.

I guess it leaves it at a harness or ECU issue at this point.

Has the throttle plate stopper screw ever been touched? Some people will use this to adjust there idle up. This is the wrong way to adjust, and will cause the TPS to read open % at idle. Not saying you did this.. Maybe another owner. The screw should have a tamper paint on it. Look and see if it looks like the lock nut was broken free. The paint shouldn't look messed with.

JT

Last edited:
Back