TPMS Reset Weirdness

khoney

:
2007 Cosmic Blue MS3, 2018 CX-9 Signature
Just popped in to rant about the latest stupid software implementation by Mazda. It has to do with the Maintenance menu and TPMS initialization. Unfortunately the owner's manual gives no clue about this behavior, and it had me tearing what's left of my hair out until I figured it out (USB resume frustrations causing the prior hair loss).

My TPMS legitimately alerted me that my pressure(s) were low. I also had a Maintenance reminder set to check my tire pressures at a certain mileage interval. So I refilled the tires and performed the TPMS initialization process according to the user manual, but it kept giving me a wrench indicator and telling me the TPMS needed maintenance. At first I thought maybe I didn't fill the tires enough, so I filled them again and adjusted all of the pressures to the same value (I think it was 36PSI). I tried the TPMS initialization again and still had the same problem.

I finally figured out that, even though I performed the TPMS initialization process (by holding down the button), Mazda did not think to automatically reset the maintenance interval for checking the tire pressures. I had to go into the Maintenance menu and drill down to the Tire Pressure reminder (which was set at 7500 miles), and RESELECT THE SAME NUMBER THAT WAS SHOWING. Finally, the error messages went away. Really Mazda? I reinitialize the TPMS, and you think I did it just for grins? WHY DON"T YOU RESET THE MAINTENANCE INTERVAL AUTOMATICALLY!!!???? Perhaps I'm expecting too much from a company who thinks it's acceptable to restart playback of a USB music stick at the same song every time you turn on the car.

I guess Kansei engineering has gone out the window...

Yep - I disabled my tire pressure check interval because of that weirdness. Now I expect the light to only come on if I have a low tire, and not for any other reason.

It sure would be great if pressing the TPMS reset button actually reset the maintenance interval...

Back