Tires

:
2002 Mazda Protege5
I'm purchasing a set of wheels, 16x8, but I'm not sure what the best tire setup would be; I've only experimented with a couple tire sizes for the stock wheels and for 17's. The plan is to have them slightly stretched, probably with some negative camber to keep them from rubbing on the fenders. Firstly, I just wanted to see what everyone else was doing with this tire size or if anyone had tips-based on experience preferably. And second, I was hoping to hear any good or bad experiences with brands/models of tires. I've found very few summer tire options for this wheel size, just trying to make sure I look everywhere and pick the best one, cuz they're expensive AF!

Thanks!

That would depend on your definition of seriously stretched. It also depends heavily on the brand of tire. You could go 205/45 or 205/50 too. 215 isnt much of a stretch though, unless youve got tires that run small. I'd probably go 205/45. What offset are the wheels?

I believe 205/50 is a lot more common than the stock size, and therefore cheaper. 205/55 is even more common, and the extra sidewall makes for a nice ride. A 205 will fit on an 8" wheel, but it's a bit of a stretch. 215/225 is more ideal. Do an image search with your desired combination to see if the look is what you're after.

215/50 would fit, as would a 215/45, if you want less stretch than a 205. A 225 will be pretty close to perfect for an 8" wheel, and may hit on the fender/strut.

Discount Tire has some great rebate deals a couple times per year. I got a full set of wheels and tires, mounted, balanced, and shipped for less than 700 bucks after rebates.

Last edited:
A lot of people who run a 16x8 opt for a 225/50 tire. This way they can maximize the use of the extra width provided by the wheel. The most popular 16x8 is the FD wheel which like other modern Mazda OEM wheels utilize a high offset and the use of at least 3mm spacers is needed in the back, 5mm might be preferred (forget off the top of my head). Unfortunately there are not a lot of choices in the 225/50 size.

Offset on the new wheels is +25. from my calculations no spacers are needed as they will stick further out by almost 2 inches than the stock 16s I have. should be plenty of space in between the wheel and the shocks

What size tires that fit on 17x8 wheels is only part of the process. You also need to consider what fits on the car. Stock height suspension will fit a different sized wheel/tire that lowered. Generally, a stock height P5 can accommodate a 17x7 wheel and 205-40/17 tires. Others on this forum have used 215-40/214-45's too. Not sure if anything wider/taller will work.

Thankfully, height isn't an issue for me. i am lowered but on coilovers, so height can be adjusted. i'm more worried about width than height

The second question is: anyone have a preferred tire? Brand/model they really liked?

When I bought my P5 it was sitting on BFGoodrich gforce sport tires (205/50). After a couple winters they finally gave up, being summer tires and all. I switched to Kumho ecstas for a more all-around tire, but with the purchase of the new rims I'm in the market for some good summer tires. I wanted to get the gforce sports because I really like the way they performed, but they're not available in the 215/45R16 size I wanted. Just wanted to hear other people's experiences with different tires, cuz I can't decide on a model

I've had those bf goodrich's also. They were fantastic. I like my ohtsu fp7000 alot, but they suck. But i would recommend them. But dont get them.

I'm running 17x7's with 205/40/17s lowered 1.5" all around and have no rubbing even with full tank and 4 people in the car.

16x8 +25 on a P5 is hella pushing it. IF you know what I mean.

AutoExe1.jpg

18x7.5 + 48, 215/40 KDW tires, JIC FLTA2 coilovers

Last edited:
No spacers, no rub, no roll. :) Coil over suspension though, so there's some extra room back there compared to the stock struts.
I got the wheels and advice from Rishie at AutoRnD. I think his username here is ARDT2

Back